• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bible All True Says Cracked.com

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...I'm glad we have all that settled.

5. Genetically, humans were nearly extinct at some point must prove that the Flood narrative specifically within the Biblical context (rather all the other cultures who have it) must be the right interpretation.
4. The Theory of Monogenesis (one of the major theories out there about evolution of language) must mean the Tower of Bable was specifically true.
3. The Big Bang Theory proves Biblical creation -- not any of the other similar creation stories -- must be true.
2. Erotic sun literature = Bible is true
1. A single female ancestor means the specific Creation story of Adam & Eve is true.

Yeah, I'm convinced.

They're just patterns that could be attached to a number of things.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
You have gotten to the point where I can't tell if you're serious or joking anymore.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Conversely, I found it interesting that US atheists and agnostics did better than believers on a Pew Religion Quiz.
Pew said:
On average, Americans correctly answer 16 of the 32 religious knowledge questions on the survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life. Atheists and agnostics average 20.9 correct answers. Jews and Mormons do about as well, averaging 20.5 and 20.3 correct answers, respectively. Protestants as a whole average 16 correct answers; Catholics as a whole, 14.7. Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons perform better than other groups on the survey even after controlling for differing levels of education.

I found the quiz to be pretty easy... I guessed on a couple of items, but got them all correct.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Which was?

Bible.jpg

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Conversely, I found it interesting that US atheists and agnostics did better than believers on a Pew Religion Quiz.
It is an interesting point, but I wasn't surprised. I think this is the obvious truth about the "Judeo-Christian culture" of the United States. It's more of a culture, and less the actual religions. (overall, over the spread of the population)

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx

I found the quiz to be pretty easy... I guessed on a couple of items, but got them all correct.

Yeah me too. Got them all right except one. I forgot the Sabbath starts on Friday not Saturday, which I should have known since one of my best friends growing up was Jewish. :doh:

(I'm Christian, btw.)

It is an interesting point, but I wasn't surprised. I think this is the obvious truth about the "Judeo-Christian culture" of the United States. It's more of a culture, and less the actual religions. (overall, over the spread of the population)

True, "cultural Christians" certainly dominate the scene.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Most of these are well known scientific occurrences that have already been hooked up with several well reasoned hypotheses. Number 1 on the list directly references Mitochondrial Eve and the fairly mainstream subject of Lucy. The idea that people are suddenly connecting them with various religious beliefs is bizarre. Are we going to go back to claiming that the sun is a deity, now?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On average, Americans correctly answer 16 of the 32 religious knowledge questions on the survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life. Atheists and agnostics average 20.9 correct answers. Jews and Mormons do about as well, averaging 20.5 and 20.3 correct answers, respectively. Protestants as a whole average 16 correct answers; Catholics as a whole, 14.7. Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons perform better than other groups on the survey even after controlling for differing levels of education.
This has more to do with intelligence than anything else. Morons score lower, and smart people score higher. Because Jews, Mormons and atheists are smarter and more educated on average, they score better than protestants (who represent 65% of the US population -- the dumb masses). I'm pretty sure in Western Europe the gap is much narrower.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The way I look at it, the Bible *is* a historical document, but it's based on oral tradition and a less scientific view of the world, so YES some of the events in the Bible assuredly are going to be linked to things that actually happened...that have either been embellished or have details missing because when things are passed down through oral tradition, something gets lost in the message eventually, kind of the "telephone game." Also, people with less scientific knowledge - intelligent people, mind you - are going to attempt to come up with other explanations for WHY those events happened.

So, sure, there is some basis of truth in the Bible. I honestly never doubted that. But to take it literally word-for-word is kind of insane.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
'Ancient Beliefs (That Turned Out to Be True)' is a bit of an overstatement. Really, it's 'Ancient Beliefs (That Are Only Mostly False Instead of Completely, Assuming That the Beliefs Were Based on These Specific Events and Not Just Vaguely Coincidental Guesses, and Regardless They Still Certainly Do Not Rely on Gods or the Supernatural)' is more accurate.

Lark

'Ancient Beliefs (That Turned Out to Be True)' is a bit of an overstatement. Really, it's 'Ancient Beliefs (That Are Only Mostly False Instead of Completely, Assuming That the Beliefs Were Based on These Specific Events and Not Just Vaguely Coincidental Guesses, and Regardless They Still Certainly Do Not Rely on Gods or the Supernatural)' is more accurate.

No.