User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think I could lie to a child, but at the same time I would not find myself disclosing certain information too easily...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah you could very well believe that but this is based upon brain scans, in younger people they can behave in such a way and even believe they are behaving in such a way that reflects consequentialism but its a variety of other things which are incentivising the behaviour, ie attachment, affect and emotion, bonding.
    I'm going to have to call bullshit as well. The vast majority of adults are incapable of thinking consequentially. It would seem more reasonable to believe that the majority of stupid children who cannot think consequentially simply become stupid adults who rack up credit card debt, have unplanned children, and cannot do the same.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    I'm going to have to call bullshit as well. The vast majority of adults are incapable of thinking. It would seem more reasonable to believe that the majority of stupid children who cannot think consequentially simply become stupid adults who rack up credit card debt, have unplanned children, and cannot do the same.
    What're you suggesting its a value judgement then rather than a cognitive skills set?

I've no problem if you're suggesting that not all adults mature the same way, some dont mature, some are emotionally illiterate or cognitively limited, that's an individual thing and its difficult to generalise. That's a given. However, that adults use rationalisations or other ego tricks to escape consequential thinking or pangs of conscience but it doesnt mean they dont do it.

By all means call bullshit, its not an opinion I'm expressing here, its sound evidence based psychological theory. Go read.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My father told me the "Truth" irrespective of my age appropriateness.

But, I inherently distrusted my father, but I intuitively knew that when he spoke of things he spoke of them as "Adults" did.

I remember the genesis of the journey of deceit that befalls us all, for me, it started at age three.

I was predisposed to be wary and skeptical of humans, adults including.

Via observation, feeling, and intuition were the ONLY ways in which I could decipher truths from untruths.

When I spawn, I will try my hardest NOT to indoctrinate my child(ren), but rather cultivate and inspire an inquisitive mind and hungry heart that *independently* hunts for truth.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hahahahahahaa, I told my mom about the "Tooth Fairy" so I could get some dollas, and I never had the, hmm, blessing? of believing in modern societal fairytales.

I believed in mermaids and mermen, also in unicorns and dragons, don't know why.

I think I just thought they were fun ideas.

Perhaps being "stripped" of untruths allows one to actually use their own imagination?

I dunno.

`

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

What is the truth?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    What is the truth?
    Personally, I believe in categorical, transcendent truths, but I can see how truths, since formed by humans, are inherently subjective.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Personally, I believe in categorical, transcendent truths, but I can see how truths, since formed by humans, are inherently subjective.
    Yes, most truths are subjective. Even much of science is built on theory.

Is it better to provide children with subjective truths, believing you're doing the right thing by being honest, where you might be outright misleading your child from any form of empirical truth? Or is it better to provide age-appropriate information and teach them how to think for themselves?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

"When I spawn, I will try my hardest NOT to indoctrinate my child(ren), but rather cultivate and inspire an inquisitive mind and hungry heart that *independently* hunts for truth."

I think my previous post answers your question.
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I can only offer them my own opinions and insights, and I would hopefully and willingly hear their own.

I want to promote an open dialog with my child(ren).
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles