User Tag List

123 Last

your resident asshole

Default A question mainly for Christians... (others are welcome)

If your loved ones, no matter who they may be, were destined for Hell for some reason... would you rather go with them and spend endless days in pain and torture, or would you spend an eternity without them?

I'd rather suffer forever with them. My family means the world to me.

Both choices lead to pain. I reckon the pain in hell would be more serious.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah -- if hell is supposedly like getting boiled in lava for eternity (at least as far as the cliche goes), I don't think you'll even have the ability to think about how you're even with any other people... and it would be even worse, since you if you could retain some level of conscious thought you'd be aware that people you loved were suffering even as you were suffering... for eternity.

But then again, I don't think that hell (if it exists) would be like that per se. Nor would I think that people who end up in hell would be thinking about how other people feel, or they wouldn't have ended up there in the first place...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm not sure if its scriptural but I definitely know that there are accounts from exorcists and others who have supposed encountered demons and in the course of the contact the demons have attacked their mistaken beliefs about hell stating that it is a state of perpetual isolation and torment, that all "folded in on themselves".

I tend to think that Clive Barker's depictions of hellscapes in The Hellbound Heart, ie singular chambers or cells, strike me as possibly accurate. Mind you he has said in interview I think that he intended the creatures and "hell" to be sort of alternate dimensional or alien as opposed to religious/occult, it makes me think of Michael Swanwick's version of demons in Jack Faust, they are a species of alien somehow aggrieved with life per se and humankind as a good example of it.

Anyway, that's as far as my speculation about hell goes, as to heaven, Jesus was asked about the woman who remarried a couple of times and who would be the husband in heaven, he said the question was folly, that it was earthbound thinking and the afterlife operated by a different set of rules.

Now I remember a religious education teacher tell me that this is really about Jewish teachers who at the time held that there was no afterlife, that people where made from animated dust, ie that God's breath had animated them, that when they died they returned to that state and where without consciousness or personal survival afterwards. So the important point was that Jesus was suggesting there was an afterlife and personal survival at all.

The thing about it is that you will, it is inevitable and should not be denied whether you believe in life everlasting or not, be seperated from your loved ones and experience a loss, they will die and no longer be there. It is not something that anyone who has loved ones wants to spend a lot of time thinking about and it is a painful and runeful process which the promise of eventually being reunited with them can in some way ameliorate or ease.

However, you come through that, so I would suppose that a healthy person can exist without their loved ones, which I think is the real question here and your fate should not be entirely dictated by your attachment to and the prescence of a loved one.

This may seem heartless but I've read quite a bit about this which was written by Eric Fromm, he writes about being motivated to study psychology when a family friend killed herself rather than live without her father who had himself deceased, his book The Art of Loving in part is response to this in which he tried to make distinctions between love and different obsessions or disorders which are often mistaken for love.

In the final instance though God is supposed to be a loved one, the seperation from which in this life is supposed to be painful enough, the seperation from which eternally is hell itself.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

yeah you pretty much hit on the hypocrisy of the Chrsitian God, haven't you?

Personally, I refuse to believe heaven is the highest form. The Elysian Fields where my lords Aristotle and Avicenna are present are the highest being a mortal can obtain. Any other delusion is a fragment from Satan and utter sin in its highest forms.

Philosophy and physics are your gods, mere mortals. Jesus is your Satan that leads you to murder one another in ever so Holy Bloodshed, so blessed be the blood of your slain! MURDER MORE in the name of CHRIST dear Christians, you will be Holy yet!!!

No Christian knows what they sow, and if Jesus is really real, no mortal mind can FATHOM what he reaps. Not for a fucking SECOND.

EDIT: its a good thing your title welcomed this voice, or else it would have else not reckoned. blessed be ye sinners who seek to hate, murder, and divorce on the grounds of land and birth.

Jesus has addressed this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 10:34-39 ESV
    [34] “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. [35] For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. [36] And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. [37] Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. [38] And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. [39] Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
    I choose my heavenly father over my earthly father.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

And when your earthen father fails you, you will cry out for your heavenly.

Just the way a Greek should be murdered. With the righteous spear of the GODS and idols you worship.

My spear will have King of the Jews written all over it. that'll make it feel right.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Just the way a Greek should be murdered. With the righteous spear of the GODS and idols you worship.

My spear will have King of the Jews written all over it. that'll make it feel right.
    Whatever you say, dude.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Most Christians view hell as separation from God, the inferno thing came out of a novel, didn't it?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Jesus has addressed this issue.

I choose my heavenly father over my earthly father.
    Yep, that would be my choice, as well.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~