• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A question mainly for Christians... (others are welcome)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
It's got to be more organic, natural, and sensible than this hodgepodge of excruciating damnation vs eternal bliss.

If this is true then there must have been people in the past who have had more sensible views. Perhaps our view on the afterlife should not come from your typical Sunday morning preacher who is mostly concerned about how he is going to make the next church mortgage payment. ;)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Answering the topic question: I consider myself independent from my family and not bound by their bad choices. I didn't ask to get born within my family and I don't like to be partial when it comes to choices that damn you to Helll.

Life doesn't have to last forever to be precious; and in fact perhaps endings make life even more precious. The choices we make as human beings are even more amazing and reflective of goodness if there is no guaranteed reward for making them.

:yes:

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can certainly choose to buy into someone ELSE'S priorities and view of existence... but why the hell would I want to do that? If nothing can be proven to be true, at least now I'm a coherent person, a congruent person, with my inner and outer aligned. Before I was living a fractured existence, with an incongruent identity; I was a fake even by my own standards.

I think it would be different if we could conclusively say that a particular deity was provable and true, vs another. But we can't.

Quote:
This puts you in a very different position from one who has a deep-rooted faith, because even the process of questioning it would in this case mean more that they sought to understand the true meaning behind the apparently contradictory information they had about that deity - to try to discern the will and purpose of God and make them more comprehensible.

Like I said, that's how I spent the first 20-25 years of my life. I was very devout, very sincere, very faithful... but very tormented by the inconsistencies.

At some point, where you're faced with increasing cognitive dissonance, you have to reevaluate and decide if your initial framework is actually wrong and you have to start from scratch.

So that is what I did. The old model was no longer salvageable IMO and at that point it takes an act of courage to scrap it, take shit from all the other people who now label you as an apostate, and start over.

Quote:
In view of what you've said here, and a lot of other stuff I've seen you say elsewhere, I'm a little unsure why you bother holding on to the "Christian" part of your identity. You might be culturally and by background a Christian (perhaps this is why you hold on to it) but your own beliefs seem pretty much wholly agnostic at this stage. You haven't exactly rejected faith outright, but appear largely dismissive of its relevance to how you live now.

You're totally right in that the two can be at war at each other. I'm only human and I tend to flip around and around within them, back and forth. I think it's also pretty evident in my personality even on this forum, where I probably seem to swing between social compassion and detached self-reliance; people can't tell whether I'm T or F sometimes, it's hard to get a bead on me, I suppose. I think life can be viewed through both lenses simultaneously, although there might seem to be a radical difference between both views.

I can relate to you a lot in some ways, as far as the struggle.

Though I was raised basically in an agnostic atmosphere, but influenced by old-school Christianity through older relatives and others, yet then determined it was all ridoculous when I entered teens in the 80's and saw the politically active preachers and their moral-political ideologies and attacks on science, and how it was all meshed together into this grand "truth" that they had a lock on, and the "enemies" of God opposed.
I ended up embracig parts of it in my 20's, because the non-christian world turned out to be disillusioning and hypocritical as well, especially for someone with AS, who has trouble fitting in.

Still, I encountered all of the unanswered qustions that Christians try to gloss over, especially regarding why life is allowed to remain in this supposedly "fallen" state seemingly forever, with everyone around me supposedly goping to Hell, and I was supposed to help get them saved somehow ("witness" and/or "pray for them") and when the "new world" was supposed to begin "soon" after the Bible was written.

So I ended up modifying the views after I discivered a view that seems to better explain many of those things.
Comprehensive Grace - Tim King

The condemnation that leads to Hell was a product of the dispensation of Law (What is commonly called the "Old Covenant"), and it ended when the Temple was destroyed in AD70 (which was "soon", relatively, from that age), and in the NT period, the two covenants overlapped, so grace was available, but you had to believe (and obey) to receive it and come from under the condemnation of the Law.

Once the system of Law was completely removed, symbolically, then grace spread to all, God withdrew special revelation (signs/wonders/miracles) and apparently, also direct guidance of the Church, which as we see history shows, spiralled rapidly out of control after the first century.

So this explains everything. Why no miracles anymore, why no return of Christ (there may have been a visible appearance in AD70, and the antichrist and all those other figures were also people from that period).

Of course, it doesn't prove that any of this is true to begin with, but even with that, it again softens that fact that there is no more clear proof to make people belive to "save" them. (Christians often appeal to Romans chapter 1 and 2 and claim there is enough evidence in conscience, nature, and "general revelation", but that just didn't seem to do it for me and anyone I've tried to witness to. So it was like a big slap in the face when it all seems so hard to believe at times, even when we desperately seek).

So if nothing more; my one prayer is that this is true, and that it is not Hell for nearly all, or complete nothingness after death.

As for type, your personal introspection does look so much like INFP/Fi, especially the part about congruence and inconsistency.
But I can see the Ti perspective ultimately under it ("frameworks", etc. and Ti actually deals in consistency also, of course, though it is more logically focused).

Looks like the "Crows Nest" shift, when under stress, and Ti doesn't solve the problem, and it is replaced directly by Fi. Also, you did come out heavily Supine in the ICA temperament discussions, and that will also make a T seem more F-ish. And then, to have to go against an environment that was more religious than mine, and in directions more radical.

Lark

Provided there's no libertarians or capitalists in heaven I dont mind who's there.

Shiet_Happens

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6?
I for one could not live in a "heaven" knowingly that there are billions of people suffering an endless torture.

BUT the thing under OP's name is my SIG :DD

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Both choices lead to pain. I reckon the pain in hell would be more serious.

Heaven is supposedly eternal bliss so I think somehow the pain of not seeing your family members again in hell would somehow be wiped out. See what penny89 wrote below:

What if you didn't actually remember your family while in heaven?
If god is omnipotent and all that jazz how hard would it be for him to just selectively blank your memory of ever having loved ones at all? Then you would not miss them. To me it would seem that this would be a prerequisite to paradise.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kinda like the thought of passing away into nothiness like a puff of fresh air. It is kinda a beautiful concept, however I'm kinda attached to my earthly bonds as well, for the moment. No matter how horrible this life is, there is beauty to be seen every where. Even if is just sparkles in concrete being reflected in the street lamps.
I'd like to think there is a heaven, or a silver veil to pass through, not so fussed on the concept of hell. I came alone into this world, whilist I've taken a fancy to dying in the arms of loved one, I will probabbly leave it alone too. My family just happened to be people who raised me....my real family are those who I have taken into my heart, but we are all are essentially alone.(I believe in a collective consciousness any hoo, so earthly attachments no longer hold true or are needed.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hell of course, I'ld be glad. Then I'ld now a 100 % that we will go to the same place :D

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah -- if hell is supposedly like getting boiled in lava for eternity (at least as far as the cliche goes), I don't think you'll even have the ability to think about how you're even with any other people... and it would be even worse, since you if you could retain some level of conscious thought you'd be aware that people you loved were suffering even as you were suffering... for eternity.

But then again, I don't think that hell (if it exists) would be like that per se. Nor would I think that people who end up in hell would be thinking about how other people feel, or they wouldn't have ended up there in the first place...

Ha, this made me wonder about what the updated/modern hell would be like. Given the fact that capital punishment and torture (not sure on torture dates but physical punishments were going on in schools until the late 70's at least) by and large globally accepted at least until the late 60's early 70's.
In a lot of predominantly Christian (and other) countries/cultures, this is now unacceptable.
We now have Christian modernization; Christian rock bands, women priests (although i know there were priestesses in antiquity), gay vicars etc etc.

So would the modern hell be more like an eternal asbo tag in an open prison, with councilling and drug rehibilation programs, with a possibility of it not being so eternal on the grounds of good behaivour, half of eternity and you might get the gold card to move on up.

:smile:

I'm just being silly of course

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
You're assuming that all Christians believe that hell is a place of torment.

Actually, the Hebrew and Greek words rendered hell (She'ol and Ha'des) refers to man's common grave.

the Greek word Gehenna is the phrase people get confused with the above terms. The name derived from an actual place where they kept a fire burning and it's where they threw anything from everyday rubbish to condemned criminals who weren't deserving of a proper burial. It's completely used symbolically in the Bible to describe a complete destruction.

Additionally, God says numerous times that the former things won't be called to mind. So if we do lose a loved one due to their disobedience, they along with all the pains of this current world we live in, will eventually be forgotten in place of better things.

So my answer is bliss without em. My hope is they are there with me, though, but I can't live for them in that respect.

Shiet_Happens

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6?
You're assuming that all Christians believe that hell is a place of torment.

uhh u guys always describe it as a fiery and terrible place so... :shock:
i don't think anybody would like being burned/tortured forever so im gunna take a wild guess that hell is a place of torment

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
i don't think anybody would like being burned/tortured forever so im gunna take a wild guess that hell is a place of torment

Well you'll be happy to know we all don't. :hi:

At least that's not my belief.

Nowhere in the Bible does it state one burns in hell at death.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Take a careful view of this thread and you'll find people have mentioned several different versions of hell. A person's view on hell varies based on the type of Christianity they practice.

Shiet_Happens

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6?
Yup, sorry about my sweeping generalization, but I'am curious though. What is YOUR version of hell? Is it still not a bad place?

Is Hell Mentioned in the Bible
2 verses on here describe hell with fire or fiery. :\? Although the rest makes it seem more like a gloomy, quiet, and dark. Just the place for me ;P Bring a couple books and I'm set lol

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Though I believe in neither, I've always sort of considered Hell the worst for the individual and Heaven the best. Even if that is inaccurate, surely Heaven would be overall better than Hell. Even if that is a marginal increase in quality, multiplied by eternity means it is infinitely better. Honestly, if Heaven is eternal one would gain many new connections in Heaven which would surpass even those you knew in life in time. If Hell is as intense as it is often protrayed, an eternal Room 101, socializing and even seeing your loved ones ever again would likely be out. If not, then the new 'life' you'd make in Heaven would match and in time surpass what you would have had with those you knew in life in Hell. After all, you now have infinite time to meet those perfect for you, not just those you happen to meet, and may even be drawn to your perfect matches.

Heaven, by its nature, must be the answer. Though, ironically, I feel anyone with the strength of character to say Hell really deserves Heaven.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yup, sorry about my sweeping generalization, but I'am curious though. What is YOUR version of hell? Is it still not a bad place?

I see hell as both a place and an event. At the final judgement those who are condemned will be thrown into a "lake of fire" and be destroyed. Here is a verse that sums up my view fairly nicely.

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both body and soul in hell." Matt. 10:28
(emphasis mine)

Also here are some verses that clarify the view.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matt. 7:13-14

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom. 6:23

"...whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
John 3:16
(emphasis mine)

In each case life is contrasted with death or destruction. The Bible never uses a similar contrast between heaven and hell. That dichotomy is an invention of modern preachers. However the first century Christian authors were wanting their audiences to choose between life and death. Also what is interesting is that Matthew, John, and Paul almost never use similar language on any teaching, even something as fundamental as grace. (I don't think Matthew and John ever use the word "grace" at all.) However they all use a very similar language when contrasting life and death.

Anyway that is my view on the matter. I hope that was clear. :)

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
The most I worry about hell is of what people are choosing to believe and follow today. I didn't have any peace about my natural mother until a minister told me to look at her life and decide for myself where she was and then come to terms about it. I did and decided that she must be in heaven since she had a profession of faith and was baptized. Other family members, I sorrow over. The problems are on this side of heaven and hell, not in heaven. In heaven, God has promised us that there will be no sorrow or tears and I have to trust that whatever the eternal disposition of my family on earth, I will be at peace about it in heaven. As I said, the striving and sorrow are confined to this transient earthly existence.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if there is a hell, I'm probably headed there anyways, so why not go with those I love? :laugh: