First 234

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6?
    Socionics
    o.O

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    You're assuming that all Christians believe that hell is a place of torment.
    uhh u guys always describe it as a fiery and terrible place so...
    i don't think anybody would like being burned/tortured forever so im gunna take a wild guess that hell is a place of torment

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shiet_Happens View Post
    i don't think anybody would like being burned/tortured forever so im gunna take a wild guess that hell is a place of torment
    Well you'll be happy to know we all don't.

At least that's not my belief.

Nowhere in the Bible does it state one burns in hell at death.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Take a careful view of this thread and you'll find people have mentioned several different versions of hell. A person's view on hell varies based on the type of Christianity they practice.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6?
    Socionics
    o.O

Yup, sorry about my sweeping generalization, but I'am curious though. What is YOUR version of hell? Is it still not a bad place?

Is Hell Mentioned in the Bible
    2 verses on here describe hell with fire or fiery. :\? Although the rest makes it seem more like a gloomy, quiet, and dark. Just the place for me ;P Bring a couple books and I'm set lol

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Though I believe in neither, I've always sort of considered Hell the worst for the individual and Heaven the best. Even if that is inaccurate, surely Heaven would be overall better than Hell. Even if that is a marginal increase in quality, multiplied by eternity means it is infinitely better. Honestly, if Heaven is eternal one would gain many new connections in Heaven which would surpass even those you knew in life in time. If Hell is as intense as it is often protrayed, an eternal Room 101, socializing and even seeing your loved ones ever again would likely be out. If not, then the new 'life' you'd make in Heaven would match and in time surpass what you would have had with those you knew in life in Hell. After all, you now have infinite time to meet those perfect for you, not just those you happen to meet, and may even be drawn to your perfect matches.

Heaven, by its nature, must be the answer. Though, ironically, I feel anyone with the strength of character to say Hell really deserves Heaven.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Yup, sorry about my sweeping generalization, but I'am curious though. What is YOUR version of hell? Is it still not a bad place?
    I see hell as both a place and an event. At the final judgement those who are condemned will be thrown into a "lake of fire" and be destroyed. Here is a verse that sums up my view fairly nicely.

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both body and soul in hell." Matt. 10:28
    (emphasis mine)
    Also here are some verses that clarify the view.

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." Matt. 7:13-14

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom. 6:23

"...whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
    John 3:16
    (emphasis mine)
    In each case life is contrasted with death or destruction. The Bible never uses a similar contrast between heaven and hell. That dichotomy is an invention of modern preachers. However the first century Christian authors were wanting their audiences to choose between life and death. Also what is interesting is that Matthew, John, and Paul almost never use similar language on any teaching, even something as fundamental as grace. (I don't think Matthew and John ever use the word "grace" at all.) However they all use a very similar language when contrasting life and death.

Anyway that is my view on the matter. I hope that was clear.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

The most I worry about hell is of what people are choosing to believe and follow today. I didn't have any peace about my natural mother until a minister told me to look at her life and decide for myself where she was and then come to terms about it. I did and decided that she must be in heaven since she had a profession of faith and was baptized. Other family members, I sorrow over. The problems are on this side of heaven and hell, not in heaven. In heaven, God has promised us that there will be no sorrow or tears and I have to trust that whatever the eternal disposition of my family on earth, I will be at peace about it in heaven. As I said, the striving and sorrow are confined to this transient earthly existence.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

if there is a hell, I'm probably headed there anyways, so why not go with those I love?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett