• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should I fast this yom kippur?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I know it’s a terrible thing to ask this online on a Saturday, but hey:

I know you shouldn’t be fasting for Yom Kippur if you have health reasons not to. I’m trying to decide if I should fast or not. I won’t fall into a diabetic coma (…probably), but… still. I’m recovering from sickness now, I’ve had 5 antibiotic prescriptions in the last year, a short period of disordered eating… so I’m wondering if it would be a good idea.

Any advice?

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
when fasting, it's important to listen to your body
and stop fasting when it tells you too. don't force it.
and most importantly, ease into it.

i fast often. but before i go on a full fast (7-10days water fast),
i always prep for it, by going on a pre-cleanse diet so my
body doesn't go into shock.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't understand religious fasting to begin with, but if it would be a health risk for you to do it, then why the hell even consider it?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't understand religious fasting to begin with, but if it would be a health risk for you to do it, then why the hell even consider it?

I don't know if this would be a health risk. Mostly I've just been lingeringly exhausted and weak from everything and I don't want to slip back into sickness. I don't know if this would cause it, though.

Lark

I think it needs to be your decision.

I've got to say that I understand the fasting and other disciplines of religious practice, there are lots of different ones for different reasons, the general the kind of self-control and self-mastery involved in the process should be something that's not lost on even the most ardent and unreflective secularist but then again the developed, post-religious, consumer culture isnt big on anything besides indulgence, right now, more, now, again...

Usehername

On a mission
I think you've got enough on your plate wrt your body and the challenges you're assigning it to do, and trying to juggle another thing is not a wise choice at this moment in time. I think, however, that setting the goal to fast for next year is a great idea.

Studies have shown that long-term changes in lifestyle are most effective when done slowly and regularly, integrating it into your daily life. People who try to make too many changes at once are nearly always short-term-change people who fall back into their old ways. (I get that fasting for yom kippur is a short term thing, but it coincides with your other changes, and thus throws yet another ball for you to try to keep juggling in the air, and at the moment it's probably too early to take another thing on.)

Make regular and repeated baby steps that you integrate into your lifestyle changes, and retain them. You will be so impressed with yourself by this time next year, I promise. One day at a time. Keep going for walks, keep taking baby steps.

I do 5 push-ups every day in the middle of my studying and I'm starting to get toned arms, no joke. It's the little things that matter.