User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Karma

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I am currently reading The Power of Karma by Mary Browne

Quote - Karma is justice. It does not punish or reward. We will suffer for the pain we have caused and we will reap from the good we've produced.

So if each individual is solely responsible for their own karma, be it good or bad how then can it be justified when bad shit happens to good people other than a bloody hard learning curve.

Children learn from their role models ..If the role model is not an exceptionally good one such as a mother or father (so pretty much stuck with them) Then is this somehow the kids karma.

I am aware if i put karma into the realm of life paths then it makes more sense but this book (at present) isn't going there so i am curious as to your thoughts on the subject.

Do you believe in karma?
    Not in the least.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Karma does sound more of a J thing than a P think. Negative and positive Karma got me thinking of synchronicity and intention and whether the actions that manifest in positive intervals are brought forward as the focus as much as our negative intervals and their focus on who we are in terms of our subconscious impressions.

I do have to wonder what karmic debt and past lives means, for something strange did happen to me in recent weeks that does seem like a manifestation of patterns that run deep. While at the same time things important to our growth that have been left undone in a previous time frame or a hurt or damage that you have inflicted on another and must be resolved before further growth can take place implies the karmic debts so the saying goes. I'm taking this with a wide birth however to indulge myself I'll look into it.

This site about Karma is interesting.

It is said that all the action-reaction-responses that we experience in life are from the force our karmic debt accumulations (karma quotient). These are said to include the results of all activities that one does in any state, whether in knowledge, ignorance, or by chance, accident or otherwise. In other words all work, activity or energy debts are karmic (action) debts.

This necessarily means that to balance out the accumulations of action-reaction, the individual consciousness needs to 're-incarnate' since the results of the actions cannot balance out in one lifetime.
    This action reaction does sound much like negative positive intentional states and the focus we give them, like self fulfilling prophecy, if you give rise to the action the reaction returns in kind later for the focus, the energy that is given is reinterpreted back as the intentional reality that is given focus to.

So then what about reincarnation?

Age of Cells

Using sophisticated carbon 14 dating methods, Dr. Frisen and his team of a stem cell researchers in the Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden, found that the average age of cells in an adult body would be between seven and ten years.

Most molecules in a cell are constantly being replaced but the DNA is not. All the carbon 14 in a cell's DNA is acquired on the cell's birth date, the day its parent cell divided. Hence the extent of carbon 14 enrichment could be used to figure out the cell's age, Dr. Frisen surmised. In practice, the method has to be performed on tissues, not individual cells, because not enough carbon 14 gets into any single cell to signal its age.
    Then if our body replenishes every 7 to 10 years then does our consciousness?

Our consciousness of who we are remains unchanging. Our identification of ourselves, the 'I-consciousness' (I-con) factor remains constant and unchanging. Even though we may develop our likes and dislikes and thinking over the years, we always know who we are in the sense of personal continuity or personal 'being-ness'.
    Who knows.

MBTI
    INFP

people believe karma as a tit for tat philosophy, when it's actually more like undoing what already happened without balancing it out. When something has affected you, you eventually deal with it and move on, be it good or bad. If you realize this, then you only need to deal with it yourself internally without an external event to bring it to your attention or balance it out.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Err... The point is that the soul is still learning? It chooses to incarnate to learn lessons. One path is to learn with knowledge, the other path is learn without the influence of previous knowledge. There are benefits to not knowing about your past while learning.

Sure, feel free to make fun of religion in general about how there is no proof of anything. I don't mind.

But I'd appreciate it if you actually bothered looking up Taoism/Buddhism and how it works exactly before you start making snide comments about how it doesn't make sense. It just makes you seem ignorant and closed minded about the possibility that there could be a logical explanation within it's own paradigm. Sort of like the athiest who comes in ranting about some theological problem that they didn't even bother looking into.

If you don't feel like doing that, then I'd appreciate you word your skeptical questioning in a non-hostile way. I would have then just answered the question in a straight forward manner. You can decide afterwards whether it works or not.

Karma is a concept from the east. If the eastern religions didn't meet the west. Karma as a concept would probably not be known. You'd needn't worry about the people in the west coming to such conclusions in that case. The problem lies in that most people use it interchangably with justice (My name is Earl probably doesn't help.) hence it's often perceived as a Punish/Reward system when it's totally not.
    I concur with probably all of this post.

Karma goes hand and hand with reincarnation, especially if we view karma as "conditioning" or "impact from previous actions."

I've read before, in books on Buddhism or Hinduism, that ALL karma takes affect in future lifetimes/existences.

Personally I think of karma as being like momentum. It takes time and effort to alter momentum. Sustained time and effort.

I've seen LOTS of references to karma and reincarnation in various western teachings, particularly amongst(neo-)pagans. and "magic(k)al" groups.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Karma goes hand and hand with reincarnation, especially if we view karma as "conditioning" or "impact from previous actions."

I've read before, in books on Buddhism or Hinduism, that ALL karma takes affect in future lifetimes/existences.

Personally I think of karma as being like momentum. It takes time and effort to alter momentum. Sustained time and effort.

How much Karma is involved in a past life now were past lives hypothetically possible? Probably imagination at play but you never know.
    Would I have lots of Karma issues if I saw myself as a tribal elder whose tribe got wiped out after we tried to defend our homes. When I tried to save the women and children they too were wiped out by the foreigners and I was captured only to see my wife buried alive and my children sold to slavery and I escaped to rally other tribes to save my children out of anger.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't believe in karma as it is explained in the belief system it comes from. Rather, I believe in something similar which is rooted in psychology. Having integrity has many repercussions that our consciousness can not always foresee. Studies have shown, for example, that people who lie to their SO start to trust their SO less and think they lie more too, creating a self-defeating situation. Our actions shape the way that we view the world. So, I think that you train yourself, so to speak, to have a certain worldview through your own actions which will determine the next series of actions you will take.

Good karma could then be seen as following a course of action which is seen as preserving trust between people and a worldview that is positive.

It's impossible for me to believe in the overarching premise of karma. The assumption that mankind is anything but particles interacting is difficult to believe. The assumption that mankind is so important, is like having a blankie to comfort.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Karma is poetic. All we need to do to believe in Karma is suspend our disbelief.

Karma is exactly the same as transubstantiation. For transubstantiation is pure poetry and all we need to do is suspend our disbelief for poetry to work its magic.

So Karma and transubstantiation are beautiful magical poetry.

But alas they are not compatible. For those that believe in Karma don't believe in transubstantiation; and those who believe in transubstantiation don't believe in Karma.

And although they tell me poetry does nothing, poetry is so powerful. Why just the other day, I mentioned transubstantiation to an Anglican priest and he bristled because the big difference between Catholics and Anglicans is transubstantiation. And only a short time ago they were killing each other over transubstantiation. So it is not too much to say that poetry is a matter of life and death.

Reason, we know, can never kill a poem. It takes a poem to kill another poem.

They say my God is a jealous God, and each poem is mad with jealousy of every other poem.
    Brilliant.