User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Default Thought on medical-assisted suicide?

I'm in the process of writing a paper, and purely for the purposes of my own morbid curiosity --

What are your thoughts on euthanasia?
    Suicide in general?
    Religious reasons? Moral/ethical reasons?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Granted that both the individual who wants to die and the individual who assists in the death are both willing to do so then it's fine by my standards.

Suicide in general?
    If an individual has a powerful resolve to die then it is their choice alone. Although I make a disitinction here from an emotionally driven suicide, as in this case the individual is not in a stable mindset and thus prone to poorly though out, hasty decisions, and thus one should do what they can to prevent this type of suicide.

Religious reasons? Moral/ethical reasons?
    Even if done so out of religious or moral purposes, as long as it doesn't violate what I mentioned previously, then it is fine.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

I think euthanasia, as painful and as difficult as it may seem, is sometimes necessary. I don't really believe in an absolute morality that extends beyond an individual's own subjectivity, and so I could never say something was wrong or right for EVERYBODY without feeling horribly presumptuous.

Having said that however, it seems to me that the general consensus on the attitude towards the sanctity of life is somewhat... thoughtless. While I am not saying that people should go out killing others willy-nilly, I do believe you have to try and bear in mind the quality of life a person is experiencing when this issue comes up. A bubbly, happy existence that last only 20 years is better than a depressed miserable one that lasts 80.

Suicide in general... man, I feel like I'm going to catch some serious flak for this, but I'm going to put it out there anyway.

In my experience, there are two general ways a person can die. They can die from the death of the body, or they can die from the death of the mind. The latter being what we call suicide. And this attitude of "Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" is NOT true. You cause enough psychological trauma, you WILL kill the mind. The mind dies, but can't fully do so without the body, so it takes the body with it. This is how I see suicide. I've lost people in my life to it, and to me, that's what happening. It's the death of the mind as a result of experiencing something more than it can actually handle. And as hard as it was for me to accept, it is their choice to make. Again, I could never make the moral judgment to say in any absolute sense that what they chose to do was either right or wrong. It is their life and their decision.

Similarly, when the body dies, the mind must be taken with it as well - I think this is what may be referred to in ESP or near-death experience circles as "limbo." There are some who believe that after a body dies, the entire person will not completely die until the mind has let go of its own existence. So, in essence, for a complete death to occur, both mind and body must die.

That's all I got.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

If I get alzheimers like my grandmother.. I want to be medically assisted in my suicide. I wouldn't be myself anymore.. just a shell of a being, running on auto-pilot until I short circuit.

I'm not and advocate of suicide.. life is the best, and only, possession I truly own. But, if I cannot be myself during it anymore.. than it's not mine anymore either.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post

In my experience, there are two general ways a person can die. They can die from the death of the body, or they can die from the death of the mind. The latter being what we call suicide. And this attitude of "Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger" is NOT true. You cause enough psychological trauma, you WILL kill the mind. The mind dies, but can't fully do so without the body, so it takes the body with it. This is how I see suicide. I've lost people in my life to it, and to me, that's what happening. It's the death of the mind as a result of experiencing something more than it can actually handle. And as hard as it was for me to accept, it is their choice to make. Again, I could never make the moral judgment to say in any absolute sense that what they chose to do was either right or wrong. It is their life and their decision.

Similarly, when the body dies, the mind must be taken with it as well - I think this is what may be referred to in ESP or near-death experience circles as "limbo." There are some who believe that after a body dies, the entire person will not completely die until the mind has let go of its own existence. So, in essence, for a complete death to occur, both mind and body must die.

That's all I got.

I totally agree. I feel that for some people who even are psychologically scarred, perhaps even "fucked" up, suicide sometimes really is the only answer. They're is no helping them as they're mind really is too far gone to be saved. It seems cruel to ask someone to stay around when there is no happiness for them.

My take on euthanasia is relatively the same, only reversed for the body. I don't see what the fuss is about if a mentally stable person makes a rational decision to end their life on their own terms, rather than succumb to what is often a degrading, horribly painful death.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's funny how wild our perception of death is. People just have to get over the childhood idea that death is such a god awful, gruesome thing.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Epiphany

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, considering the inevitable problem of overpopulation. Some people who are suicidal snap and go on to commit homicide before they end their own life. I think circumstances should be taken into consideration, such as a parent who is still raising dependents. If they die then someone else is going to have to raise their children, and what kind of impact is that going to have on them? Not only would they feel betrayed by their parent, but they would feel betrayed by the government/institution who assisted them. There are a lot of ethical questions to be considered. It's true that suicide is somewhat selfish, but I think it is also selfish for people to tell a suicidal person that they must suffer indefinitely out of some sort of obligation to them.

Im all for it, if you are terminally ill it should be your choice to end your life. They accuse these doctors of playing god, but keeping people alive with machines and meds is the same idea..."playing god". We are over populated anyway...so whats the fuss, let people die in peace if they want to!

Suicide in general?
    It depends on the person and the situation. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt want any of my loved ones to commit suicide. Life can be tough and some people feel like there is no way out. I dont know everyones situation and experience so its not my place to judge.
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I am in favor of euthanasia. It seems more cruel to me to disallow someone with a terminal medical condition to choose to end their life without months, maybe years, of suffering that will be painful for the patient AND their loved ones. If the person wants to end their life with dignity and relatively peacefully, I say they should have that right.

Suicide for non-medical purposes... I'm more conflicted on. I recognize that some people go through really rough times and it may seem like the only answer, but I do think a lot of the time, therapy/treatment/medication could help. However, if someone wants to end their life for whatever reason, I still think that is their right and their business. But if I had a close friend or family member who wanted to commit suicide for non-medical reasons, I would do everything in my power to get them to at least try all the alternatives before I would "give them my blessing" (I hate that phrase - I'm not God!! - but I can't think of a better way to put it, because I probably still wouldn't really approve, but I'd just not begrudge them that right). But if a friend or loved one had terminal cancer and wanted to end his/her life through medically-assisted suicide, I would support that decision.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

^Perfectly stated!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro