User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Yep, they oughta just buck up, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, think happy thoughts for god's sake.
    You are being ignorant.

I bet most of the disabled people I know are 10 times as happy as you and produce 10 times more happiness in those around them then you do.

Moreover, you're public policy desires put their happy lives at risk.

edit: Meh, in hindsight getting into measurements of happiness was probably a poor idea. I got flustered.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    You are being ignorant.

I bet most of the disabled people I know are 10 times as happy as you and produce 10 times more happiness in those around them then you do.

Moreover, you're public policy desires put their happy lives at risk.

edit: Meh, in hindsight getting into measurements of happiness was probably a poor idea. I got flustered.
    I think Tilty was being sarcastic.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    I think Tilty was being sarcastic.
    yeah, that's what pissed me off.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I am enjoying the comments people have made so far.

My take on it is that I'm all for medically-assisted suicide for the terminally ill for the reasons previously stated. I'd also choose medically-assisted suicide if I was in a vegetative state with little to no hope of getting out of that state. Its also a burden for the family and the doctors to try to keep me alive.

I read about locked-in syndrome, where one is esentially paralyzed completely except for possibly the eyes. Not only can't you move but you can't talk either. How do you communicate your pain or your desires. You could be extremely miserable and you couldn't express it. To me a life like that would be worse than death.

I'm generally opposed to suicide just because someone is unhappy with the current state of things. I've read many times about people who've attempted suicide and failed and later on went to live a very satisfying life. Sometimes in the midst of a deep depression, things can seem completely hopeless but with therapy and certain medications and just letting time heal wounds, things will often start looking up again.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    yeah, that's what pissed me off.
    She was talking to me, probably.

Can't tell.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    Nice, but isn't this thread mainly talking about those who can't, or are face with the likely hood they won't be able too in the near future.
    The OP:

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    I'm in the process of writing a paper, and purely for the purposes of my own morbid curiosity --

What are your thoughts on euthanasia?
    Suicide in general?

Religious reasons? Moral/ethical reasons?
    I covered the bolded elements. Suicide in general primarily.

But I'll give credit where credit is due...studies have shown this does aid in the treatment of mild to moderate depression. Helping others gives people a sense of well being, but generally these people aren't sitting on thier arses doing nothing anyway.
    I really wouldn't know whether they are sitting on their asses or not.

But it would be good if they got out and did something that made them feel good. And if that helps with mild and moderate, it'll help with severe. Won't cure it, but hey, could it hurt?

If not, I refer you back to my first statement:

If you wanna be dead, go for it.
    For the most part, that's their call. Some people decide to be beggars. Some people move to Maui. Some people kill themselves. I have my opinions on all of them, but I'm strongly hesitant to tell you what to do.

Funny, it's a serious thing this whole death thing, but I'm alive right now and don't plan on changing that situation, so I don't give it much thought beyond any of this. I suppose I could get existential, but that's old territory.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    For.

Suicide in general?
    For the right to be allowed to commit suicide. Against people actually committing suicide.

there's always a way out of whatever jam you're in. Seems like a waste.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Suicide in general?
    There isn't a logical or even a sufficient reason to prevent someone from ending their own misery, with the help of another or without it.

Well, I dont like any suicide, I feel like I belong to another age in which taking your own life was considered something horrifying.

That said I dont see any way to really prevent someone if they have made their mind up, I think that making it a binding duty on the part of others to prevent this, professionals or family, is unfair, they can do their best but it will still play out the same way.

I also worry when I hear about debate around this about the Drs or nurses who may have to carry out these procedures, in the UK opinion polls have consistently found that while the public may feel its acceptable or a good idea that the medical professionals who would be called upon to perform the service are opposed to it. Its bound to take its toll killing people, especially if your professional motivation is keeping people alive and caring for them.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well, I dont like any suicide, I feel like I belong to another age in which taking your own life was considered something horrifying.

That said I dont see any way to really prevent someone if they have made their mind up, I think that making it a binding duty on the part of others to prevent this, professionals or family, is unfair, they can do their best but it will still play out the same way.

I also worry when I hear about debate around this about the Drs or nurses who may have to carry out these procedures, in the UK opinion polls have consistently found that while the public may feel its acceptable or a good idea that the medical professionals who would be called upon to perform the service are opposed to it. Its bound to take its toll killing people, especially if your professional motivation is keeping people alive and caring for them.
    It's about liability and where to draw the line too. Most doctors and nurses have no qualms about assiting a teriminal cancer victim in pallitive care. They are going to die no matter what. Relieving pain and making them comfortable is all they hope to do.
    It's the other possibilities that could arise that are more worrying. Families pressuring a family member into agreeing or early alziehmers patients...
    or families sueing for wrongful death. It's opening a pandora's box.
    Health care workers deal with enough, they shouldn't have to deal with that too. (Not to mention the loons, they'd have to deal with protesting against euthanasia.) It's not a task or desicion that should rest in thier hands.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]