User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Is it easier to live a life with or without religion?

The question is geared towards you the individual, not a society. State your case.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

For me religion is the natural byproduct of trusting in God. And my life has been a lot easier since I started doing that.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTx

I guess the question could be rephrased as "Is it easier to persevere through life with faith or without?"

Depends on what you mean by the word "easy."

Any religion that calls a person to act differently from their nature is not going to be easy in that you will be constantly struggling with yourself. At the same time if the practice of the religion results in someone avoiding dangers that they would otherwise give into than it is to some extent easier than not practicing it.

As a Christian I read the words of Christ and am comforted by the idea of it being easy to be a Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew 11:28-30 ESV
    [28] Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [29] Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. [30] For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
    And then I am challenged when I read Paul and find that I must struggle and suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Romans 8:14-17 ESV
    [14] For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. [15] For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” [16] The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, [17] and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Smile Religion and Civilization

There has never been a civilization not based on a religion.

So it is likely that it is not possible to live a civilized life without religion.

For instance, our civilization is based on christianity and it is not possible to understand our civilization without understanding christianity.

And in particular it is not possible to understand English literature without understanding the Bible.

And even more interesting, it is not possible to understand the noosphere without understanding the universalist nature of christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There has never been a civilization not based on a religion.
    Nor has there ever been a civilization less religious and more knowledgeable than today.

So it is likely that it is not possible to live a civilized life without religion.
    History provides much evidence against your assumption.

For instance, our civilization is based on christianity and it is not possible to understand our civilization without understanding christianity.

And in particular it is not possible to understand English literature without understanding the Bible.

And even more interesting, it is not possible to understand the noosphere without understanding the universalist nature of christianity.
    That does not require one to 'live a life with religion', unless you think you live your life with Tolkien as well.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I guess the question could be rephrased as "Is it easier to persevere through life with faith or without?"
    I think this depends mostly on the individual (and it also depends somewhat on the religion). Some people gain strength from their faith. Others seem to use it as a means to escape from reality.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

This claim seems to be a stretch. Can you elaborate?

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Depends on what you mean by the word "easy."

Any religion that calls a person to act differently from their nature is not going to be easy in that you will be constantly struggling with yourself. At the same time if the practice of the religion results in someone avoiding dangers that they would otherwise give into then it is to some extent easier than not practicing it.

As a Christian I read the words of Christ and am comforted by the idea of it being easy to be a Christian.

And then I am challenged when I read Paul and find that I must struggle and suffer.
    I was going to say the same thing. Beefeater said it quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    "Is it easier to persevere through life with faith or without?"
    With, because it has a deeper meaning and is more aesthetically rewarding.

The answer could vary greatly depending on which faith of course.