User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'd prefer without, but I'd find it hard to live without spirituality.

I like not waking up on Sunday mornings just to listen to sermons that piss me off and make me want to stand on my pew and argue against whatever the priest is babbling about.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think everyone lives with religion, if you think of a religion as a system that guides your decisions. As I see it, psychotherapy and self-improvement is the newest religion. It's a system people carry with them that helps them make decisions for their long-term security and happiness. Those systems sometimes get really simple and crude (see: talk show wisdom), but they're systems nonetheless and they're improving.

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

I find it easier to live without it simply because I can't make myself believe something I just...don't.

However empirical studies show that religious people tend to be "happier" than atheists. So if by easier, you mean happier the answer to that question may be yes.

However, I suspect that it is entirely possible there may be a spurious correlation between religion and happiness. It may be the sense of community, social interaction and sense of purpose that increases happiness (these things are all known to increase happiness). Perhaps an atheist working in non-profit or living on a commune might be just as happy as a regular church-goer. I doubt there have been any studies to determine that
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Going to church never made me happy, but more socially stressed. The whole "God's will says you should do X". "No, you aren't god, and I don't have to act based on your personal opinion."

I did used to get some peace from a private spirituality alone in nature. The atheist hippie commune doesn't sound so bad as long as Butterfly Bill is in charge.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I've been leaning on the side of "miserable" ever since I started really believing in things (I'm not entirely religious though.. more like, informally).

That's OK though.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    With, because it has a deeper meaning and is more aesthetically rewarding.

The answer could vary greatly depending on which faith of course.
    Exactly, because like JoSunshine, "I can't make myself believe something I just...don't."

As another perspective, the donkey is more likely to keep plodding around the mill wheel if he has a carrot dangled temptingly before him.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

interesting question. I look atmy parents who are very non religious but content and happy and I want to say without...

however, lotsof people really DO need a religioun for various reasons, not just the prospect of another life after this one.

I think it largely depends on how horrible it seems if the atheist is right and "this life is it".

Banned

It takes more guts to live when you know there's no point to it.

Smile Babe

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    We are meaning creating animals. We can't help ourselves. Our whole society is replete with meaning. Other animals know what to do by instinct, while we know what to do by meaning.

There is no such thing as a society without a point. However in the devastation of Europe after WW II it seemed for a moment that there is no point and so Existentialism was born.

And of course adolescents struggling to find meaning are inclined at times to lose heart and give up and think there is no point. But the point is that this is a phase of adolescence. But of course they hate being told this as they love to dramatise themselves and their existential dilemmas.

And why not? I dramatised my adolescent dilemma by putting a big picture of a pig up in my room. My parents suggested I take it down but I refused and came of age. And to this day I have the same large picture of a pig on the inside of my front door to remind me who I am.

And they even made an Australian movie about a pig called, "Babe". And to this day my girlfriend calls me Babe and giggles. But who can understand girlfriends?

Just click on -

YouTube - Babe Movie Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    It would take more guts to live - like what? There are all kinds of ways to live. Some are going to be difficult and take guts, regardless of what one believes or doesn't believe.