User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 106

  1. #91
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Smile Resonate versus Reason

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with your line of reasoning.

    To an atheist, religion is simply an idea. You can say we're "obsessed" with religion, but in what way? Certainly not as a moral code. I mean, sure, I bet my moral code has somehow been influenced by Christianity, and I won't deny the influence religion has had on humanity. Maybe that's your point; but it's a big generalization.

    It's not a positive obsession, and most atheists I know go on without it. Most atheism isn't religious in any way, not in the sense that we're organized and provide ourselves a set rule of conduct beyond, "THINK!"
    I am not making an argument so I don't have a line of reasoning.

    I simply don't have a linear, sequential line of reasoning to agree or disagree with.

    Rather I am ringing the bell and setting up resonances.

    And as you know, only a resonance can interfere with another resonance. Or you might say, only a poem can run an interference pattern with another poem. Or only a religion run an interference pattern with another religion.

    Of course a linear, sequential line of reasoning makes perfect sense in a printed book. But Central is not a printed book, rather Central is part of the electric media, like the telephone.

    And when you are speaking to your mother on the telephone, does she criticise your linear, sequential line of reasoning? Of course not.

    So the media itself makes your criticism of my linear, sequential line of reasoning nonsense. Not least because on Central my linear, sequential line of reasoning is as non-existent as your God.

    So on Central, rather than reason, resonate.

  2. #92
    Senior Member Kenneth Almighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am not making an argument so I don't have a line of reasoning.

    I simply don't have a linear, sequential line of reasoning to agree or disagree with.

    Rather I am ringing the bell and setting up resonances.

    And as you know, only a resonance can interfere with another resonance. Or you might say, only a poem can run an interference pattern with another poem. Or only a religion run an interference pattern with another religion.

    Of course a linear, sequential line of reasoning makes perfect sense in a printed book. But Central is not a printed book, rather Central is part of the electric media, like the telephone.

    And when you are speaking to your mother on the telephone, does she criticise your linear, sequential line of reasoning? Of course not.

    So the media itself makes your criticism of my linear, sequential line of reasoning nonsense. Not least because on Central my linear, sequential line of reasoning is as non-existent as your God.

    So on Central, rather than reason, resonate.
    I think you know what I meant. Be it resonance or reasoning, I think you're mistaken by saying that atheists are somehow dependent on religion, simply because it's something that they like to argue against. I'll admit, this world is more religious than areligious; I think that's why occasionally, us atheists might seek to justify ourselves. Does it happen? Yes. Can we live without doing so? Wholly.

    Somehow you would've had to come to that conclusion, hence the term "reasoning". Claims that are based strictly on an intuitive basis without any reasoning framework set up either before or after is just flatulence with no worth.

  3. #93
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    Claims that are based strictly on an intuitive basis without any reasoning framework set up either before or after is just flatulence with no worth.
    When you don't understand what I have said, you resort to personal attack.

    This is a lack of moral courage as well as against the rules of Central.

    However you are not alone as personal attacks are normal and even common here. And that is why we have a rule banning personal attacks.

    And personal attacks are so common here it must be said they are group atttacks. Attacks by the herd against the odd one out.

    But even worse, they are cultural group attacks. They are attacks by the military/industrial complex against dissenting individuals, for MBTI was commissioned by the industrial/military complex and has been used for the last seventy years to kill vast numbers of people. 1.1 million Vietnamese combatants and 2 million civilians are a good example. The whole ethos was, "Body count", and they racked up three million corpses with the help of the all so helpful MBTI.

    And so at the drop of a hat you continue the tradition of personal attacks and body count. What could be more natural on an MBTI site?

  4. #94
    Writing... Tamske's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    No one can live without religion. Atheists are the perfect example as they are obsessed with religion.
    True, because religion is very important in our world, unlike gods. There are wars fought because of religion. There are hospitals built and poor people helped because of religion. I don't think religion is bad in itself, but I don't think it's good either. It's got (very probably) one big fault: it's (very probably) false.
    And what particular religion we are depends on the time and place we are born. And like ducklings we imprint on the first religion we see. And the imprint is indelible.
    True. We're apt to believe our parents (and people our parents tell us to trust and obey, such as the teacher and the priest) and mostly this is a good thing. We don't have to burn ourselves before we know the fireplace is dangerous. Children should better believe the grown-up when the latter warns against poisonous berries.
    And a child can't make distinction between "don't eat those berries otherwist you'll be very sick" and "sacrifice a goat each year otherwise the summer won't come back".
    The parents don't mean harm by giving false warnings, because they think they are true too. But if the teacher and the priest tell you different things, you'll start to doubt and maybe to disbelieve.
    Can we live without religion? Can we live without our mother?
    Yes and yes. Ask any adopted person.
    And when the impious cease to believe their mother religion, they believe anything.
    True. I've chosen for the creed "The outside world follows relatively simple laws which we are able to know. Our senses give us accurate information about the outside world. Let's experiment." And I haven't observed a god since.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

  5. #95
    Senior Member Kenneth Almighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    When you don't understand what I have said, you resort to personal attack.

    This is a lack of moral courage as well as against the rules of Central.

    However you are not alone as personal attacks are normal and even common here. And that is why we have a rule banning personal attacks.

    And personal attacks are so common here it must be said they are group atttacks. Attacks by the herd against the odd one out.

    But even worse, they are cultural group attacks. They are attacks by the military/industrial complex against dissenting individuals, for MBTI was commissioned by the industrial/military complex and has been used for the last seventy years to kill vast numbers of people. 1.1 million Vietnamese combatants and 2 million civilians are a good example. The whole ethos was, "Body count", and they racked up three million corpses with the help of the all so helpful MBTI.

    And so at the drop of a hat you continue the tradition of personal attacks and body count. What could be more natural on an MBTI site?
    It's not a personal attack. It's an attack against the idea that one can simply have something "resonate" and thus make it true. That itself is a concept that is isolate from your being, and thus I was not insulting your being whatsoever, just the idea. Please, please please don't form a strawman here.

    If you're wondering why I said what I said, it's because if we don't give something a line of reasoning, through reflection on a statement or through its development, then there is nothing withholding anything I say from being the truth or being false and so on and so forth. Merely stating something aphoristic without putting some substance behind it, especially when there can be evidence to the contrary, and then taking it as an insult when this is pointed out, is just suspicious...

    If I don't understand something, good. It means that my perceptions are faulty and that I can be enlightened, somehow. But if one does nothing to provide a reason for an opinion (effectively explaining it), especially when demanded, then one is simply shooting in the dark and ends up looking obfuscatory if no additional information is provided. If anything, one is doing one's self a disfavor, as it would be in one's best interest to get the message across. If it isn't, then that's just intellectual elitism; that itself is a contradiction of terms.

  6. #96
    Senior Member Kenneth Almighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Coincidentally this is why religion sucks :p

  7. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6?
    Socionics
    o.O
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Individually I find it much more beneficial to live without religion. Although I understand why the bulk of the population needs religion or spiritual help to get through thier lives.
    But I believe that religion is a mental crutch that we need to abandon in order for humanity to truly progress.

    I mean it is obvious why people believed in gods earlier on. People thought lightning was when thier gods were angry(lol), or when diseases ravaged thier people were a punishment from thier god(rofl), and that the only reason bad things are not happening to them was because thier god was restraining it from them(LMFAO)

    *Im reading a doctrine written by the Puritans for school, and he basically repeats the third one twice every paragraph -.-

    I think a society not based on religion would be very beneficial. We wouldn't focus our time praising only our god, (because come on, all the other thousands of gods are obviously human imagination and ours isn't) and devote our time and money to help better humanity by searching for cures to diseases, discovering new things, and basically providing a foundation for our races future.

  8. #98
    Senior Member Kenneth Almighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiet_Happens View Post
    Individually I find it much more beneficial to live without religion. Although I understand why the bulk of the population needs religion or spiritual help to get through thier lives.
    But I believe that religion is a mental crutch that we need to abandon in order for humanity to truly progress.

    I mean it is obvious why people believed in gods earlier on. People thought lightning was when thier gods were angry(lol), or when diseases ravaged thier people were a punishment from thier god(rofl), and that the only reason bad things are not happening to them was because thier god was restraining it from them(LMFAO)

    *Im reading a doctrine written by the Puritans for school, and he basically repeats the third one twice every paragraph -.-

    I think a society not based on religion would be very beneficial. We wouldn't focus our time praising only our god, (because come on, all the other thousands of gods are obviously human imagination and ours isn't) and devote our time and money to help better humanity by searching for cures to diseases, discovering new things, and basically providing a foundation for our races future.
    Okay, true, but I'm going to try and be Devil's (or in this case Jesus') advocate here.

    How would such a society be motivated to cure diseases, discover stuff etc more than usual? Although religion has resulted in plenty of conflicting nations, on the other hand, people that share a religion can be very charitable towards each other. Religion is just another expression of a tribal mentality, where those of the tribe are looked after and others are seen as threats.

    If anything, a religion-less state is just the same as a religious state, except without any notion that good actions are rewarded. In the example of Islam, one of the five pillars is a required tithe of one's income (within reason if you're poor), that's dedicated to fixing poverty. Believe or not such charity has proven extremely successful.

    It's difficult for people to be good and charitable without some motivation, and the best motivation seems to be the eternal motivation that a God and His rules provide. And, if anything, we have plenty of time now, while inside a dominantly religious society. Why would making a society secular mean any difference?

  9. #99
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Almighty View Post
    How would such a society be motivated to cure diseases, discover stuff etc more than usual? Although religion has resulted in plenty of conflicting nations, on the other hand, people that share a religion can be very charitable towards each other. Religion is just another expression of a tribal mentality, where those of the tribe are looked after and others are seen as threats.

    If anything, a religion-less state is just the same as a religious state, except without any notion that good actions are rewarded. In the example of Islam, one of the five pillars is a required tithe of one's income (within reason if you're poor), that's dedicated to fixing poverty. Believe or not such charity has proven extremely successful.
    People and societies can/should be motivated to cure disease, create inventions, make discoveries, etc. by: (1) the practical results that follow; (2) the greater understanding of ourselves and the world that they provide; and (3) the simple enjoyment of participating in the activities that lead to such outcomes. Religions typically offer people rewards for good actions in the hereafter, but can show no demonstrated track record of their receipt. We don't need religion to see the tangible rewards produced by good actions in the here-and-now.

  10. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am not making an argument so I don't have a line of reasoning.
    Perhaps you should add "This post is not up for discussion," on your post, so you wouldn't have to argue with people?

    It's a controversial thread, you're bound to have people discussing your post if you don't......

Similar Threads

  1. Is it easier to be happy if you're an S?
    By Moiety in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM
  2. Is it better to be fear and hated or loved and accepted?
    By yenom in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM
  3. [NF] NFs Is it easier to be a selfless individual, when you have low self esteem?
    By ReadingRainbows in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 09:37 PM
  4. Is it possible to be an INFJ with INTP tendencies?
    By aic in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 12:02 AM
  5. Is it easier to type your own?
    By Mort Belfry in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO