• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ethics is nothing other than...

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
The conclusion that I came to being a phil major is this: ethics is the process of slapping intrinsic value on certain concepts and then treating them as sacred. I think reverence to life is merely one of them, it's not hard to think of situations where killing may appeal to at least some people's ethical standards (capital punishment etc. but that's a can of worms). I think this covers a lot of theories such as human rights, virtue ethics and utilitarianism. Unless you're some sort of expressiveness and believe that ethics is NOTHING MORE than expressed opinion (saving babies YAY! Killing babies BOOOOOO) or social contractarian, i.e. theories I believe lead to dismissing the notion of ethics in general, I think that covers it.