• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do religions hate gays so darn much?

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Naw its cool if they are hot looking womez (lipstick lesbians) or hot female bisexuals who will bring a hottie chick friend to their boyfriends house. Its pretty nasty if its dudes or ugly women. God never smited cities with fire and brimstone for having cotton blends or eating pork either...so it appears to be an act which is high on his shit list.

Regardless of what the bible/religions may or may not infer...live and let live as I always say.

In fact its a good precedent to support gay rights because as long as they can sodomize each other than the more safe I am to be allowed to sodomize womez. Hell I don't even mind if people fuck animals as long as long as the animal likes it and nobody forces me to watch it.

I don't mind lesbians adopting kids but I would be uncomfortable about two men adopting a child because of the greater chances that they might be pedophiles and what a fucked life that kid would have if they indeed were.

Oh man this is funny :rofl1:

Emmilou

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Many people who cling fervently to a Religion are looking for security and people of similar values. They spend so much time trying to protect their homogenous little make-believe world they have two strategies. Deny things like homosexuality exists (instead it is a sinful crime) and if those dang queers won't be ignored, suppress them with hatred and force.

Ironically, the people who work hardest to achieve security never do, because everything bugs them so they can never rest. Meanwhile people who embraced our differences made peace with them and now can achieve real security, without blinders or a sword.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
As someone who used to be religious and someone who has actually read the Bible, I will tell you that the instructions to not be gay in Leviticus are right beside the instructions to not eat pork or shellfish or eat milk and meat together. I think, and thought back then, that the idea of condemning people for one thing in the old Jewish laws while being permissive about another i.e. the vast majority of Christians do not follow Jewish laws about food or otherwise, is insanity and hypocrisy.

Also, there's this whole thing in the New Testament about do not judge lest ye be judged, so even if homosexuality is a sin, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. In other words, mind your own fucking business because you aren't perfect either.

And this is how I thought while I was still religious. It always baffled me that some religious people made such an issue out of homosexuality when there are much more directly harmful and "evil" things going on in the world.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Beneath the issue of homosexuality, I think religion tends to have an intense relationship with ideas of sexuality in general that are expressed differently depending on cultural context. Ideals of purity rely on taboos for their very existence. In certain cultures today, that focus is on homosexuality.

Volumes of books can and have been written on the relationship between religious ideals and sexuality. Since people in general have deep layers of sexual impulses they indulge and control to varying degrees, I think there is also a lot of projecting that process outwardly especially in the context of religion. My impression is that in order to become fully obsessed with someone else's sexuality, there has to be some sort of internally complex relationship with one's own sexuality that is unresolved.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The most recent news story written here in Oz about adoption rights and once again it's Christian lobby groups urging politicians to reject the bill that would allow same rights for all regardless of sexuality. Now that specific story doesn't matter so much, it's just typical, whenever a topic of gay rights comes up the people jumping up and down attempting to squash them are Christian organisations.

Why does religion see homosexuality as so darn evil?

The answer is simple. There are bigots hiding in the Christian church. The fundamental Christian message is so terrific and life transforming that once people believe it, they will put their faith in whatever Christian leaders say. So bigots can leech credibility off of religion to further their own message. And many well meaning people believe this message. That is why this is such an effective tactic.

Bigots are using Christianity to push their views on others.
Corporations are using the news to push their views on others.
Lots of groups are using science to push their views on others.

There is a pattern, because the tactic is so effective. Hide behind a credible institution, and then promote your own message through it.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Why does religion see homosexuality as so darn evil?

I've studied a fair bit of (Christian) theology and I'm still not sure. In fairly recent times I think there's a bit of a vicious cycle that's developed. Gay people publicly hating on religion for publicly hating on gay people for publicly hating on religion etc etc. I'm not saying that's all that's at play, but I think it's become a factor.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Another point I'll add (haven't read the rest of this thread, so not sure if it's been covered already) is that it's a pretty common teaching in Christianity that God judges entire nations for what they allow to happen within that nation. Which means that if the government endorses something sinful then the whole nation (including the Christians therein) will be cursed for it. Which is one reason they're so passionate in opposing it. So if two gay people live gayly it's their sin alone, but if their gay union is recognized and made official by the government then it becomes the sin of the government and therefore the entire nation. Or something to that effect. :shrug:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
because if you aren't a middle class, church going, straight christian, white american, then God doesn't love you.

Fuck that shit. Fuck Christianity.

That isn't a necessary feature of Christianity. Some conversations in Christendom are dominated by the very loud voices of bigoted individuals and groups, it's true, but there are a lot of less pushy practitioners who reject those notions.

I'd add that believing all Christians are bigots is just as bigoted as believing all gays are child molesters.

MBTI Type
INTJ
because if you aren't a middle class, church going, straight christian, white american, then God doesn't love you.

Fuck that shit. Fuck Christianity.

Have you ever even MET a Christian? I'm sure you have, but you could never tell from this ill-informed tirade.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Response to a little bird in my reps: "less pushy" probably isn't the most accurate way to characterize it, you're right. Many are trying to get alternative Christian voices into the spotlight/mainstream. But the others have more political power, not to mention their viewpoint fits better into the media's expectations and therefore they get more play. A bunch of Christians welcoming gay couples into their congregations don't make as exciting a news story as a bunch of Christians holding up shocking signs at the funeral of a gay person.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Christians and muslims both feel that all homosexuality is a sin because its "unnatural" and seemingly contrary to "good organism order", but I believe that is incorrect. Mother nature has shown time and again that there is plenty of reason to have homosexual organisms around.

Like...?
It works against the trend toward overpopulation.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another point I'll add (haven't read the rest of this thread, so not sure if it's been covered already) is that it's a pretty common teaching in Christianity that God judges entire nations for what they allow to happen within that nation. Which means that if the government endorses something sinful then the whole nation (including the Christians therein) will be cursed for it. Which is one reason they're so passionate in opposing it. So if two gay people live gayly it's their sin alone, but if their gay union is recognized and made official by the government then it becomes the sin of the government and therefore the entire nation. Or something to that effect. :shrug:
I lived in Florida awhile back, and there was one summer with more than the usual hurricane activity, plus widespread fires to boot. Some prominent Christian fundamentalist blamed that on the fact that Disney Corp had extended health benefits to same-sex partners. It boggles my mind that apparently rational, educated people actually believe this stuff. As one contemporary political comedian concluded, "Homosexuals of America: only you can prevent forest fires."

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That isn't a necessary feature of Christianity. Some conversations in Christendom are dominated by the very loud voices of bigoted individuals and groups, it's true, but there are a lot of less pushy practitioners who reject those notions.

I'd add that believing all Christians are bigots is just as bigoted as believing all gays are child molesters.
Yes, fortunately. Some Christian groups are even starting to reclaim the tolerant, caring side of the Bible on the political stage. You know, the part about caring for the less fortunate, and embracing the marginalized? The things Jesus himself actually did. It is interesting that those on the so-called Christian "right" are just as hesitant to put these tenets into practice through the political process as they are eager to push their own brand of personal "morality".

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ivy said:
Not really. In spite of there being a lot of accepting Christians out there, many of them, maybe even most of them, wear bigotry like a badge of honor; they would object to nothing about the word except its connotations. The connection between homosexuality and molesting children, on the other hand, is more a matter of lumping homosexuals in with another type of "sexual pervert" in a disingenuous attempt to vilify them.

Anyway, the reasons that a lot of religions hate homosexuality are a) that most of them see it as a waste of sexual energy that could be directed toward populating the world with indoctrinated little missionaries, b) that many religions frown on anything earthly or fleshly (like sexual pleasure for its own sake), and c) that sexuality is the core concern of every living thing, and for that reason, a lot of people give it extensive thought, and the more you think about something, the more likely you are to come up with arbitrary conclusions that some people will disagree with.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Anyway, the reasons that a lot of religions hate homosexuality are a) that most of them see it as a waste of sexual energy that could be directed toward populating the world with indoctrinated little missionaries, b) that many religions frown on anything earthly or fleshly (like sexual pleasure for its own sake), and c) that sexuality is the core concern of every living thing, and for that reason, a lot of people give it extensive thought, and the more you think about something, the more likely you are to come up with arbitrary conclusions that some people will disagree with.

You've clearly given this a lot of thought then. :newwink:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Have you ever even MET a Christian? I'm sure you have, but you could never tell from this ill-informed tirade.

I attended numerous Episcopal and Catholic churches for 17 years.

Wow, that's one profound argument you have there. I think I'll have to sit and reflect on this for a while.

Dude, who are you? Respect other's opinions, silly as they may be to you. Stop thinking your some hot shot intellectual, you're just a guy. And I've never personally liked your stuck up behavior.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As someone who used to be religious and someone who has actually read the Bible, I will tell you that the instructions to not be gay in Leviticus are right beside the instructions to not eat pork or shellfish or eat milk and meat together. I think, and thought back then, that the idea of condemning people for one thing in the old Jewish laws while being permissive about another i.e. the vast majority of Christians do not follow Jewish laws about food or otherwise, is insanity and hypocrisy.

Also, there's this whole thing in the New Testament about do not judge lest ye be judged, so even if homosexuality is a sin, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. In other words, mind your own fucking business because you aren't perfect either.

I agree totally, and yet that stance doesn't appear to hold ground against someone who uses religious beliefs against the act of homosexuality.

So yeah, I'm just not bothering.

For anybody interested:
Christian Antropology and Homosexuality

For anyone else who feels like Peguy and has resources I can look at please link them in as I'm not interested in imposing my beliefs, I'm interested in understanding the other side. I appreciate what Owl in particular has already posted but understand it can be an emotional topic for some.

I'll be honest, my feelings toward my parents and extended family and sister are probably damaged forever because of their unwillingness to educate themselves enough to talk intelligently about my issues. I would care less if they could speak intelligently and simply disagree with me and could support their points (as I can respect some people here who disagree with me because they are able to discuss and communicate); but I will never be able to move past the reality that they have avoided change by choosing ignorance, at my expense. I still have people in my family who are angry at me and yet who have never ever talked to me about my situation, or tried to legitimately understand except to run to demagogues who tell them what they already want to believe (and then accuse me of being subverted, after I've educated myself to understand both sides); and I feel sold out and no longer really want or need them in my life that much. That level of abandonment kills the relationship dead.

So yes, I get what you are saying.

But I've also had to become aware of how difficult it is for both the generational thing (like Tilty says) and the religious thing (since often the religious beliefs are accepted or lost wholesale and they have a lot invested in those particular sets of beliefs). That has been another point of frustration -- that I have no way to even catalyze a change in our relationship. They're just too entrenched to move, even if they decided they should. It's not as easy as making a choice, and even if they made the choice, I'll doubt any of them will make it very far before they pass away.

And this is why I want to understand where people like your family are coming from, I actually feel quite lucky that my family is no longer involved in the religion that we grew up in, for one I consider it scarily cult like, for two I have gay family members and I know how difficult coming to terms with that it was for my parents even through they were no longer involved with the church, the views of older generations are not too liberal on the topic of sexuality, if religion was still involved I can't imagine the relationship my mother would have with her children.

If an individual views a group of people as evil, than their child tells them they belong to that group they either have to give up what they believed in, or see their child as evil. What I want to understand is why someone would allow views, which are fiercely debated to begin with, to come before their child. They have to be deeply held views that they cannot afford to give up.