User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Naw its cool if they are hot looking womez (lipstick lesbians) or hot female bisexuals who will bring a hottie chick friend to their boyfriends house. Its pretty nasty if its dudes or ugly women. God never smited cities with fire and brimstone for having cotton blends or eating pork either...so it appears to be an act which is high on his shit list.

Regardless of what the bible/religions may or may not infer...live and let live as I always say.

In fact its a good precedent to support gay rights because as long as they can sodomize each other than the more safe I am to be allowed to sodomize womez. Hell I don't even mind if people fuck animals as long as long as the animal likes it and nobody forces me to watch it.

I don't mind lesbians adopting kids but I would be uncomfortable about two men adopting a child because of the greater chances that they might be pedophiles and what a fucked life that kid would have if they indeed were.
    Oh man this is funny
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

Many people who cling fervently to a Religion are looking for security and people of similar values. They spend so much time trying to protect their homogenous little make-believe world they have two strategies. Deny things like homosexuality exists (instead it is a sinful crime) and if those dang queers won't be ignored, suppress them with hatred and force.

Ironically, the people who work hardest to achieve security never do, because everything bugs them so they can never rest. Meanwhile people who embraced our differences made peace with them and now can achieve real security, without blinders or a sword.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

As someone who used to be religious and someone who has actually read the Bible, I will tell you that the instructions to not be gay in Leviticus are right beside the instructions to not eat pork or shellfish or eat milk and meat together. I think, and thought back then, that the idea of condemning people for one thing in the old Jewish laws while being permissive about another i.e. the vast majority of Christians do not follow Jewish laws about food or otherwise, is insanity and hypocrisy.

Also, there's this whole thing in the New Testament about do not judge lest ye be judged, so even if homosexuality is a sin, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. In other words, mind your own fucking business because you aren't perfect either.

And this is how I thought while I was still religious. It always baffled me that some religious people made such an issue out of homosexuality when there are much more directly harmful and "evil" things going on in the world.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Beneath the issue of homosexuality, I think religion tends to have an intense relationship with ideas of sexuality in general that are expressed differently depending on cultural context. Ideals of purity rely on taboos for their very existence. In certain cultures today, that focus is on homosexuality.

Volumes of books can and have been written on the relationship between religious ideals and sexuality. Since people in general have deep layers of sexual impulses they indulge and control to varying degrees, I think there is also a lot of projecting that process outwardly especially in the context of religion. My impression is that in order to become fully obsessed with someone else's sexuality, there has to be some sort of internally complex relationship with one's own sexuality that is unresolved.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    The most recent news story written here in Oz about adoption rights and once again it's Christian lobby groups urging politicians to reject the bill that would allow same rights for all regardless of sexuality. Now that specific story doesn't matter so much, it's just typical, whenever a topic of gay rights comes up the people jumping up and down attempting to squash them are Christian organisations.

Why does religion see homosexuality as so darn evil?
    The answer is simple. There are bigots hiding in the Christian church. The fundamental Christian message is so terrific and life transforming that once people believe it, they will put their faith in whatever Christian leaders say. So bigots can leech credibility off of religion to further their own message. And many well meaning people believe this message. That is why this is such an effective tactic.

Bigots are using Christianity to push their views on others.
    Corporations are using the news to push their views on others.
    Lots of groups are using science to push their views on others.

There is a pattern, because the tactic is so effective. Hide behind a credible institution, and then promote your own message through it.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    Why does religion see homosexuality as so darn evil?
    I've studied a fair bit of (Christian) theology and I'm still not sure. In fairly recent times I think there's a bit of a vicious cycle that's developed. Gay people publicly hating on religion for publicly hating on gay people for publicly hating on religion etc etc. I'm not saying that's all that's at play, but I think it's become a factor.

MBTI
    INFP

Another point I'll add (haven't read the rest of this thread, so not sure if it's been covered already) is that it's a pretty common teaching in Christianity that God judges entire nations for what they allow to happen within that nation. Which means that if the government endorses something sinful then the whole nation (including the Christians therein) will be cursed for it. Which is one reason they're so passionate in opposing it. So if two gay people live gayly it's their sin alone, but if their gay union is recognized and made official by the government then it becomes the sin of the government and therefore the entire nation. Or something to that effect.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    because if you aren't a middle class, church going, straight christian, white american, then God doesn't love you.

Fuck that shit. Fuck Christianity.
    That isn't a necessary feature of Christianity. Some conversations in Christendom are dominated by the very loud voices of bigoted individuals and groups, it's true, but there are a lot of less pushy practitioners who reject those notions.

I'd add that believing all Christians are bigots is just as bigoted as believing all gays are child molesters.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    because if you aren't a middle class, church going, straight christian, white american, then God doesn't love you.

Fuck that shit. Fuck Christianity.
    Have you ever even MET a Christian? I'm sure you have, but you could never tell from this ill-informed tirade.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Response to a little bird in my reps: "less pushy" probably isn't the most accurate way to characterize it, you're right. Many are trying to get alternative Christian voices into the spotlight/mainstream. But the others have more political power, not to mention their viewpoint fits better into the media's expectations and therefore they get more play. A bunch of Christians welcoming gay couples into their congregations don't make as exciting a news story as a bunch of Christians holding up shocking signs at the funeral of a gay person.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii