User Tag List

First 816171819 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BBC News - Britain's only gay Mass

Quote Originally Posted by Archbishop Vincent Nichols
    Anybody who is trying to cast a judgement on the people who come forward for communion really ought to hold their tongue.
    Very well said by the Archbishop IMO.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Or was he?
    Yeesh. The poor guy dies 2000 years ago, and even his sexuality is still up for public debate. Oh, the indignity!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    What a completely asinine question to ask.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeesh. The poor guy dies 2000 years ago, and even his sexuality is still up for public debate. Oh, the indignity!
    Don't think he was gay, although he was certainly well-hanged.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

Why does religion see homosexuality as so darn evil?
    Because San Francisco will be their next crusade for Holy Land.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I'm glad you cleared this up. I always thought people asked because there isn't much else to ask about besides, "What are you going to name it?" and "When is s/he due?"
    There is an alternative explanation to this phenomenon which is somewhat grounded in your initial thoughts.

It’s a Boy! It’s a Girl! It’s a Technology-Enabled “Sex Party”! | Front Porch Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Susan McWilliams
    My husband and I are expecting a baby next month, and we do not know the baby’s sex.

In my case, quite a few of the people who have questioned our decision not to find out the baby’s sex are the kinds of well-off, self-styled progressives who in other kinds of conversations can be counted on to talk about the fluidity of gender identity. They are people who don’t believe all girls have to like princesses or all boys have to like football.

How do we explain a culture that tells children that sex doesn’t matter much, that “girls can do anything boys can do,” and at the same moment is treating the sex of infants in the womb as this critical, determining fact?

One part of the story here, I think, is a lesson in how easy it is for us to become governed by the technologies of our age. The cultural obsession with knowing a baby’s sex before birth allows us to see the way in which our sense of priorities can come to be dominated – dictated, even – by the technological innovations of the moment.

My suspicion is that American parents are now going overboard with all this attention to prenatal sex – with companies named things like “Fetal Greetings” selling baby-sex announcements and the emergence of something called “gender cakes” – because it is just about the only thing they can know about their babies before those babies are born. Because it is a fact that parents know, it is a fact they come to emphasize and value – and then, to overemphasize and overvalue.

Indeed, modern technologies do expand our capacity to know and reflect upon many things. But they can also restrict and narrow our thinking.

In the case of prenatal sexing of babies – in overemphasizing the importance of that information – what can get lost is the fact that a person’s sex does not reveal much about who a person is or might be (in the basic terms of character or discipline or virtue), as Socrates argued so long ago. Even more fundamentally, what can get lost is the wonderful unknowability of babies, itself a reflection of the mystery and unpredictability of us all.

But in this and other cases we should be careful not to overvalue those little things that we know, to the point that we neglect the enduring truth about our lives, that we are all partners in this grand mystery, the depths of which we cannot fathom and the extent of which we will never see. When we remember that, I think, we remember why we call it the miracle of life.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I saw a disturbing commercial for a product that claims to predict a baby's sex (they use the word "gender" which IMO is not the correct term) as early as 10 weeks of pregnancy.

Baby Gender Prediction Test | Baby Gender Predictors | Natural Remedies to help moms and babies

It's not that I have a huge problem with wanting to know the sex of your baby- but the commercial just backed up a whole host of troublesome concepts. When the test results are ready the dad in the commercial picks up a pair of blue booties and beams at his wife. The announcer's next words were "Mom tested, Daddy approved!"

This probably needs its own thread...
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I saw a disturbing commercial for a product that claims to predict a baby's sex (they use the word "gender" which IMO is not the correct term) as early as 10 weeks of pregnancy.
    The usage of "sex" vs "gender" is one of the murkier aspects of usage in the social sciences. It seems like often they are used to contrast two different ideas.

One case is "sex" as in "sexual intercourse and related concepts" vs "gender" as in "male vs female in the physical, not-necessarily-intercourse-related sense." This usage seems to be more common in psychology than sociology (although it varies in psychological literature).

The other is "sex" as in "biologically male or female" vs "gender" as in "societal/cultural expectations, roles and stereotypes about masculinity and femininity." This usage seems to be far and away preferred in sociology.

Of course, my academic experience in these areas is kind of dated at this point (by about 20 years), so this may not reflect current usage.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What a completely asinine question to ask.
    Strategically, not really asinine -- it makes a lot of sense.
    (Sort of like sending a terminator back in time to kill the resistance leader before he grows up.)

But realistically... yeah.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Strategically, not really asinine -- it makes a lot of sense.
    (Sort of like sending a terminator back in time to kill the resistance leader before he grows up.)

But realistically... yeah.
    What? That's totally different. We're talking about Jesus Christ. The Terminator wanted to stop John Conner.

Wait a minute. John Conner....

J.C....

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:steam:
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com