User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default What makes you more content/happy?

Anticipating things to come, whether it be far into the future or right around the corner, or from things that you have experienced/are experiencing in the short term?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Anticipating things to come, whether it be far into the future or right around the corner, or from things that you have experienced/are experiencing in the short term?
    Normally anticipating, but that's only because I think the things to come are better than the things that have come already.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENTP

I think both approaches have there merits, but I guess it is dependent upon the current situation. If I'm going through a rough patch, looking to the future would help me feel more content with life, as it would give me a context to put my current situation in. However, Living in the moment is important as it means that I can see beauty in the everyday. That I'm actually engaging with reality. I guess that's one of the contradictions of an INFP, the N's seeing things as they could be, and the P's wanting to engage in the moment.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

anticipating things to come most definitely. my life seems to get better as the years go by, so thinking about life right now does not make me happy or content, because i'm struggling in many ways, and looking at the past just brings bad memories.

im optimistic about the future. =)
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTJ

I enjoy things more if I get to anticipate them for a while, especially if it's a steak or lobster dinner.

Isn't this an S/N question? I mean I expect the Ns to say they like anticipation, and the Ss to say they like the now. I guess I could be wrong. You just conducting an experiment?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I am always in love with right now, since what's around the corner is never anything that I am prepared for, or even able to see.

Even if right now sucks sometimes, it can always be worse tomorrow, and in hindsight, has been.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I enjoy things more if I get to anticipate them for a while, especially if it's a steak or lobster dinner.

Isn't this an S/N question? I mean I expect the Ns to say they like anticipation, and the Ss to say they like the now. I guess I could be wrong. You just conducting an experiment?
    I too was wondering if my question was an S/N one. I anticipate happiness myself but I test as an S (although it's almost split).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Definitely the anticipation. I'm a pretty optimistic person, so I tend to view the future in a positive light. But I am capable deriving some contentment from the present.

I'm not so sure this is an S/N question as much as it's a test of an individual's state of mind. I could see an N preferring the present because they see the future to be bleak. I could see an S preferring the future because they're unhappy with some current situations in their life.

I think an S/N question would be more along the lines of, "What do you spend more time thinking about, the present or the future?"
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

My feelings of contentment, however few and far between they may be, almost always occur during the present tense, whereas my feelings of happiness tend to be highly stimulated by either thoughts about the past or anticipations of the future.

heart on fire

I have focused on the anticipation to my own detriment in life.