• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

delusions of grandeur

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band... I've since realized that I'm just another face, blending into the sea of millions alike. Being famous isn't going to happen, but that's quite alright, and actually preferable. However, my only hope and concern is that I don't settle into a life of mediocrity where I work a job I don't really enjoy, settle into a relationship I'm not inspired by and put on a fake face as I give a greeting to the strangers I pass on the street.

Do we even leave a mark? What shall our legacy be?

Lark

I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band... I've such realized that I'm just another face, blending into the sea of millions alike. Being famous isn't going to happen, but that's quite alright, and actually preferable. However, my only hope and concern is that I don't settle into a life of mediocrity where I work a job I don't really enjoy, settle into a relationship I'm not inspired by and put on a fake face as I give a greeting to the strangers I pass on the street.

Are you kidding? As the first person to unify the planet and lead us into space I think I'm going to be remembered dont you?!

Any day now comrade, any day now. Watch the skies.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Good question Beat.

When I'm inspired, I want to fix terrorism (at least help resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict), redesign the DSM or do away with it altogether and replace it with a system that's more comprehensive and rooted in Buddhist psychology, get nations to start being accountable and stop being so selfish and work towards peace, and change the way communities are being designed.

If I could overcome some of my fears and addictions, who knows. Maybe a movement to band people together to work towards their ideas is what we need.

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
I used to believe I was the second coming of christ.

Now I'll settle for a clean floor to sleep on.

Amazing how hard one person can fall...

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I used to believe I was the second coming of christ.

Now I'll settle for a clean floor to sleep on.

Amazing how hard one person can fall...

Maybe that's what Jesus would have settled for too: the life of a monk.

Sincerely,
Psychology Jesus

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Maybe that's what Jesus would have settled for too: the life of a monk.

Sincerely,
Psychology Jesus

It's my guiding principle. What would (Psychology) Jesus do?

In all honesty (and seriousness), I would have liked to have been part of the movement that bridged the idea/reality gap between political philosophy and national/international constitutional frameworks. Moving towards a smaller government in every way shape and form. There's a lot of thinking going on about how a sustainable anarchy might be possible - where society solves its own problems without depending on the state.

But all those drugs took their toll on my brain. :shrugs: Oh well!

P.S. We need a :shrug: smiley. STAT!!!

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's my guiding principle. What would (Psychology) Jesus do?

In all honesty (and seriousness), I would have liked to have been part of the movement that bridged the idea/reality gap between political philosophy and national/international constitutional frameworks. Moving towards a smaller government in every way shape and form. There's a lot of thinking going on about how a sustainable anarchy might be possible - where society solves its own problems without depending on the state.

But all those drugs took their toll on my brain. :shrugs: Oh well!

Not to digress too far, but how would one accomplish that? Writing books? Starting with small experimental governments?

P.S. Yes we do!

SecondBest

Permabanned
MBTI Type
eNxp
Enneagram
5/7
Well, not to get too into it and derail this very interesting thread, the fastest way to get it done is to have someone who's willing to do the right thing in a position of great power and clean out all the garbage that's sitting in the seats of U.S. and World politics. But such a man would never make it to that level, imo. Though hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised. A lot of these ideas about a sustainable anarchy aren't really all that mindblowing or inspiring, either - it's just fucking common sense and anyone with an open mind can appreciate how intuitive it is.

The slower but more realistic approach would be this current trend of merging investigative journalism with new media and the internet - essentially to provide a check to those in power. Wikileaks or the Bureau of Investigative Journalism in London would be something I have in mind. I was THRILLED when I first heard about Wikileaks back in 2007, but now I'm starting to question certain things about their motives and methods. This process would be a lot slower, of course, getting all the hidden information out to people and have people read about it. Increasing general distrust in mainstream media is a plus, for sure.

But I think it can start today. Don't rely on the government to fix your problems. Solve them on your own. Help each other. Build communities and become a part of them to both help others and yourself.

It seems clear to me that in this light, the invention of the internet is possibly the most important development in the history of mankind. I'd say akin to the invention of the wheel.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Wow! I just had a conversation about this with one of my firends the other day. I once heard a person say, "Maturity is realizing your not going to set the world on fire." Somewhat depressing, but in more cases than not accurate.

I had a really exicting life when I was younger. I was full of ambition that lead me to try my hand at a bunch of really cool stuff. I was on TV! I partied with Rage Against the Machine! I sold my art in galleries! Now the highlight of my day is talking to you people :doh: oh I meant :cheese:

I know I am always happier when I am trying new things or going new places so now I do it for the love of the experiences...but there are many days I sure do miss that fire.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Seriously! We do need a :shrug: smiley!

I think we can leave a mark without being famous, necessarily. For instance, I recently translated some documents for a Togolese refugee trying to gain asylum in the US. If he goes back to Togo, he'll likely be killed. If my little translations help him to be granted asylum, in a small way I helped save his life. We don't need grandeur to change the world. :)

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's often the people who think they have no delusions that have the most of them.

So answering this on my own behalf would probably end up being completely redundant.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
When I was a kid I dreamed of becoming a poet when I grow up. My parents and grandparents told me that's a stupid idea.

When I was a teenager I dreamed of having a rock band, I dreamed of discovering some shit and getting the nobel prize for it, I dreamed of fucking all the hot girls in the school etc.

That is NOT grandeur. That's just our teenage dreams.

However.

Thinking that you are jesus, the terminator, or any other omnipotent being. And beliieving it. Those are the delusions of grandeur. Most of the time with persecution.
Which is kinda cool.

Or a Hitler like theory, that you are superior and others are inferior just cos you say it, and the inferior have no rights in front of you. Again. Grandeur. The Hitlier-like thing is quite common. He wasn't so special. Just a sad lonely never-appreciated basterd.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band... I've since realized that I'm just another face, blending into the sea of millions alike. Being famous isn't going to happen, but that's quite alright, and actually preferable. However, my only hope and concern is that I don't settle into a life of mediocrity where I work a job I don't really enjoy, settle into a relationship I'm not inspired by and put on a fake face as I give a greeting to the strangers I pass on the street.

I don't think people are really satisfied with big accomplishments. Ultimately I'd be happy if I could make a living doing something that I really enjoy. Most of the people that change the world are really doing this. The changing the world part is more of a side effect.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The only way the bolded will happen is if we settle for mediocrity when life offers it to us. I fell into this trap, however it wasn't because life "forced" anything on me. Rather, I simply was too afraid to make the tough choice to pass on mediocrity so I could persue something better.

Usehername

On a mission
I don't really see how it's a delusion given that there are numerous people do make an impact. It's not like you have to be the smartest, wisest, most skilled person. Susan Boyle is an excellent singer, she excelled and persevered, and left a ripple effect of motivational change.

You just have to excel enough, AND have lightning strike you with luck. Or, if you're good looking and gregarious, you only have to be a mediocre actor/whatever.

It's more like it's a statistically improbable chance.

But why not pursue it anyway? Excellence is its own reward.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the future, I shall be known as the saviour of all mankind.

There is still time too, so it's not really a dellusion!

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
In a not so distant future I will invent the hand implanted universal remote control.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band...

Seriously? You call that delusions of grandeur? Making large accomplishments or becoming somebody reputable is a delusion?? People are doing that every single day, in hundreds of different ways, and all over the world. It's fully possible and probable, if you're even just slightly driven or bright.