First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post

P.S. We need a smiley. STAT!!!
    Seriously! We do need a smiley!

I think we can leave a mark without being famous, necessarily. For instance, I recently translated some documents for a Togolese refugee trying to gain asylum in the US. If he goes back to Togo, he'll likely be killed. If my little translations help him to be granted asylum, in a small way I helped save his life. We don't need grandeur to change the world.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

It's often the people who think they have no delusions that have the most of them.

So answering this on my own behalf would probably end up being completely redundant.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    ENTP

When I was a kid I dreamed of becoming a poet when I grow up. My parents and grandparents told me that's a stupid idea.

When I was a teenager I dreamed of having a rock band, I dreamed of discovering some shit and getting the nobel prize for it, I dreamed of fucking all the hot girls in the school etc.

That is NOT grandeur. That's just our teenage dreams.

However.

Thinking that you are jesus, the terminator, or any other omnipotent being. And beliieving it. Those are the delusions of grandeur. Most of the time with persecution.
    Which is kinda cool.

Or a Hitler like theory, that you are superior and others are inferior just cos you say it, and the inferior have no rights in front of you. Again. Grandeur. The Hitlier-like thing is quite common. He wasn't so special. Just a sad lonely never-appreciated basterd.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band... I've since realized that I'm just another face, blending into the sea of millions alike. Being famous isn't going to happen, but that's quite alright, and actually preferable. However, my only hope and concern is that I don't settle into a life of mediocrity where I work a job I don't really enjoy, settle into a relationship I'm not inspired by and put on a fake face as I give a greeting to the strangers I pass on the street.

Do we even leave a mark? What shall our legacy be?
    I don't think people are really satisfied with big accomplishments. Ultimately I'd be happy if I could make a living doing something that I really enjoy. Most of the people that change the world are really doing this. The changing the world part is more of a side effect.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band... I've since realized that I'm just another face, blending into the sea of millions alike. Being famous isn't going to happen, but that's quite alright, and actually preferable. However, my only hope and concern is that I don't settle into a life of mediocrity where I work a job I don't really enjoy, settle into a relationship I'm not inspired by and put on a fake face as I give a greeting to the strangers I pass on the street.

Do we even leave a mark? What shall our legacy be?
    The only way the bolded will happen is if we settle for mediocrity when life offers it to us. I fell into this trap, however it wasn't because life "forced" anything on me. Rather, I simply was too afraid to make the tough choice to pass on mediocrity so I could persue something better.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I don't really see how it's a delusion given that there are numerous people do make an impact. It's not like you have to be the smartest, wisest, most skilled person. Susan Boyle is an excellent singer, she excelled and persevered, and left a ripple effect of motivational change.

You just have to excel enough, AND have lightning strike you with luck. Or, if you're good looking and gregarious, you only have to be a mediocre actor/whatever.

It's more like it's a statistically improbable chance.

But why not pursue it anyway? Excellence is its own reward.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

In the future, I shall be known as the saviour of all mankind.

There is still time too, so it's not really a dellusion!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP

In a not so distant future I will invent the hand implanted universal remote control.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm sure a lot of people were alongside me, in their younger age, with idealistic thinking of actually being someone reputable and making large accomplishments in life. At one point, I thought I might play in the NBA (ok, I didn't take it that seriously, but I gave it a thought on an occasion or two), another period of life I thought I might be in a touring band...
    Seriously? You call that delusions of grandeur? Making large accomplishments or becoming somebody reputable is a delusion?? People are doing that every single day, in hundreds of different ways, and all over the world. It's fully possible and probable, if you're even just slightly driven or bright.

MBTI
    ENTP

What about being happy with very little?