User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Hate
    Guest

    Default Critical thinking and evaluating evidence

    We all evaluate different kinds of evidence when it comes to forming our beliefs and conclusions. Some of these types of evidence include:

    - Intuition evidence
    - Personal experience evidence
    - Testimonials
    - Appeals to authority
    - Personal observations
    - Case examples
    - Research studies etc.

    Would personal experience evidence be enough to alter your spiritual beliefs?

    Let’s say hypothetically that you were diagnosed with an incurable terminal illness and after years of suffering you end up meeting a spiritual healer. He tells you that God will heal you if you follow the healing regimen you are presented with. So as a last resort you do the spiritual healing process and it works. Would this be enough evidence to make you re-evaluate your beliefs about God's existence? Would it be enough to alter them?

    How much do you trust your personal experience evidence? Which type of evidence do you trust most?
    Last edited by Hate; 08-19-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: re-phrase question

  2. #2
    Member Rachel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    72

    Default

    I think personal experience can make you re-evaluate your beliefs because now you have first hand experience of something that previously you only knew as a theory or possibility or didn't believe in at all. But there are also one time events. Personal observations can be valid because you can take in information scientifically through observation - the method of scientific inquiry is based on the use of technology but as a compliment to human faculties. I think intuitive evidence is plausible, although still subject to question/verification, if it is going to be used as proof. For both personal observations and intuitive evidence, there is that element of the personal or subjective which makes the knowledge learned from these methods questionable, since it depends on an individual and all but human perspective. E.g. S and N will take in different types of information and interpret what they see differently, so the information collected will vary.

  3. #3
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    How much do you trust personal experience evidence?
    We know that personal experience is immensely misleading. For instance, personal experience showed us every day that the Earth went round the Sun. And we believed this for 200,000 years.

    But quite recently we have discovered that the Sun goes round the Earth.

    And we have made similar discoveries in almost any field we care to name. Chemistry has replace alchemy. Astronomy has replaced astrology. Genetics has replaced creationism. The modern economics of Adam Smith have replaced the economics of usury. Modern medicine has replace sorcery. And liberal democracy has replace absolute power.

    But perhaps our greatest discovery is the Scientific Method. And using the Scientific Method we gain reliable evidence, and also we are able to revise that evidence.

    However MBTI is based purely on personal experience, and it is immensely misleading. Why, MBTI is even applied to dogs and cats.
    Likes elodia, Thisica liked this post

  4. #4
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    How much do you trust your personal experience evidence?
    Only a fool would dismiss their personal experience. However the interpretation of our experience can sometimes be wildly wrong.

    Rather that dismiss our own experience we should be looking for the best possible explanation of our experience. Victor mentions the Earth revolving around the Sun. Copernicus' findings did not invalidate the experience of every person observing the Sun go around the Earth. The experience was exactly the same both before and after Copernicus. The difference is in the interpretation.

    So if a person has some type of spiritual or mystical experience it would be a mistake to dismiss it. Instead the person should be examining (and reexamining) what that experience really means. But it can be a lengthy and difficult process to figure out what the meaning behind the mystery really is.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  5. #5
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    However MBTI is based purely on personal experience, and it is immensely misleading. Why, MBTI is even applied to dogs and cats.
    My ISTJ cat thinks that you're wrong.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Senior Member Stevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Let’s say hypothetically that you were diagnosed with an incurable terminal illness and after years of suffering you end up meeting a spiritual healer. He tells you that God will heal you if you follow the healing regimen you are presented with. So as a last resort you do the spiritual healing process and it works. Would this be enough evidence to make you re-evaluate your beliefs about God's existence? Would it be enough to alter them?
    This situation would be a start. But I would need more, and consistent, evidence of the same sort in order to be convinced.

  7. #7
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    I put direct experience very low on the latter of relevant evidence.

    The evidence I like the best is that which I attempt to draw the most meticulously from the rules of deduction and induction. Mathematical reasoning and scientific reasoning are beautiful things.

    I will at times use appeal to authority, in case when I seem to have good reason to believe someone would know more about something than me and I simply lack the capacity for one reason or another to directly examine the subject myself. Appeals to authority can never stand alone as an argument, but they strengthen an argument if they accompany a stronger kind of reasoning.

    The scenario you describe is very unlikely to change my mind about anything.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #8
    Senior Member Blown Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Personal experience is the only kind. It sucks, but it's true. Everyone has a little schizophrenia in them, fortunately.

  9. #9
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Blown Ghost View Post
    Personal experience is the only kind. It sucks, but it's true. Everyone has a little schizophrenia in them, fortunately.
    Having a little schizophrenia is like being a little pregnant.

  10. #10
    Hate
    Guest

    Default

    Hi Victor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We know that personal experience is immensely misleading. For instance, personal experience showed us every day that the Earth went round the Sun. And we believed this for 200,000 years.

    But quite recently we have discovered that the Sun goes round the Earth.
    I see where you're going with this, but can you really count this as personal experience evidence though? Wouldn't this just be more of a miscalculation or incorrect speculation since no one necessarily "experienced" anything that claimed that evidence to be true?

    But perhaps our greatest discovery is the Scientific Method. And using the Scientific Method we gain reliable evidence, and also we are able to revise that evidence.
    Very true, the Scientific Method is one of the greatest discoveries. I re-phrased the question because I was actually more curious about people's own personal experience evidence and how much they trust it. As oppossed to other people's personal experience in general. So how much do you trust your personal experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Only a fool would dismiss their personal experience. However the interpretation of our experience can sometimes be wildly wrong.
    Exactly. I believe correct interpretation is key.

    Rather that dismiss our own experience we should be looking for the best possible explanation of our experience. So if a person has some type of spiritual or mystical experience it would be a mistake to dismiss it. Instead the person should be examining (and reexamining) what that experience really means. But it can be a lengthy and difficult process to figure out what the meaning behind the mystery really is.
    Very well said, couldn't agree more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    This situation would be a start. But I would need more, and consistent, evidence of the same sort in order to be convinced.
    Fair enough. So do you think that if you received continuous evidence of the same sort that you would be able to come to a definitive conclusion as to God's existence?

Similar Threads

  1. Critical Thinking and Self Respect
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-21-2016, 08:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-28-2016, 07:41 AM
  3. Critical Thinking and the West
    By Mole in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 12:56 AM
  4. (Ni) Introverted Intuition and Critical Thinking?
    By Ribonuke in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 10:17 PM
  5. Critical thinking resources and exercises
    By Wiley45 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO