User Tag List

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Default Psychological Functions and objectivity/subjectivity

I am currently reading Kierkegaard's "Fear and Trembling" and I find that his idea of the individual has a lot to do with Fi (I have often seen Kierkegaard cited as an example of the INFP type).
    I've been thinking that many of the great philosophers possibly came up with notions that they considered universal truths while they were really priorities linked to their own psychological type, thus leading many to follow a vision that was actually quite subjective.
    At the same time, a healthy, mature philosopher who makes the best of his psychological functions can offer a facet of reality that is truly useful to society.

I believe that learning about psychological types can be beneficial to scholars in order to realize there are many colours to truth, (or as the Bible puts it "the manifold wisdom of God,") and considering these many facets could lead them to greater objectivity and an honest search for truth.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    I am currently reading Kierkegaard's "Fear and Trembling" and I find that his idea of the individual has a lot to do with Fi (I have often seen Kierkegaard cited as an example of the INFP type).
    I've been thinking that many of the great philosophers possibly came up with notions that they probably considered universal truths while they were really priorities linked to their own psychological type, thus leading many to follow a vision that was actually quite subjective.
    At the same time, a healthy, mature philosopher who makes the best of his psychological functions can offer a facet of reality that is quite useful to society.

I find that learning about psychological types is quite useful to scholars in order to realize there are many colours to truth, (or as the Bible puts it "the manifold wisdom of God,") and considering these many faces may lead them to greater objectivity and an honest search for truth.
    I was about to bold one of your sentences and tell you how right I thought you were, but then I realized pretty much everything you said is dead-on. As much as I love reading the writing of mystics and other non-academics, sometimes I have to concede and say that the great things can come out of a free and honest thinker who chooses to work within that stifling and sycophantic world that is academia.

For me, when you said a healthy, mature philosopher who can make the best of his psychological functions, I immediately thought of Emmanuel Levinas. If you're interested, I'll tell you more.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    For me, when you said a healthy, mature philosopher who can make the best of his psychological functions, I immediately thought of Emmanuel Levinas. If you're interested, I'll tell you more.
    I tried reading one of his books, but it was very much written in the intellectual jargon and particularly tedious to read, although I found his ideas interesting.
    If you wish to paraphrase his concepts and share your thoughts on what you have understood, go ahead!

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

There is less room for subjectivity in sciences nowadays. And basically that is the only chance for the universal philosophy... That unfortunately means that real philosophy is dead. I kinda liked the subjectivity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    There is less room for subjectivity in sciences nowadays. And basically that is the only chance for the universal philosophy... That unfortunately means that real philosophy is dead. I kinda liked the subjectivity.
    Science tends to have a very NT mentality if you ask me...
    So its "objective" rationality is kind of subjective. I think many NT scientists need to understand that feeling and S stuff are also a very important part of the equation.