there are basically 6 modes that people live in.
1. past negative - remember only the bad things (catholic)
2. part positive - remember only the good things (catholic)
3. present fated - no use planning, it's all predetermined anyway
4. present hedonist - towards pleasure, away from pain (separate from epicurean hedonist, possibly eastern thought: the middle way)
5. future goal oriented - work now, play later (puritan)
6. future afterlife - life after death and dream of that. (abrahamic religions, christian, muslim, jewish, etc)