User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: What is Now?

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

If I take the common-sense perspective: "The now always changes."
    If I take the view from special and general relativity: "The concept of 'now' is not concrete. In fact, all past, present and future are on an equal footing, due to the relativity of simultaneity."
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

The past and the future can be represented by the tracks and qualified by the direction of the moving train, which is the present we occupy.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3oIiH7BLmg

In that vid, there are basically 6 modes that people live in.

1. past negative - remember only the bad things (catholic)
    2. part positive - remember only the good things (catholic)
    3. present fated - no use planning, it's all predetermined anyway
    4. present hedonist - towards pleasure, away from pain (separate from epicurean hedonist, possibly eastern thought: the middle way)
    5. future goal oriented - work now, play later (puritan)
    6. future afterlife - life after death and dream of that. (abrahamic religions, christian, muslim, jewish, etc)

From the eastern thought, there is only the present moment and from this, we create the past. The past is nothing more than memories. When we reinterpret the past, we essentially have a different past. Groundbreaking advances and personal forgiveness etc, is a dramatic reinterpretation of the past. Mostly because there's new information or we discover something we didn't know before. The future is unknown.

At any given moment, the present always creates the past or the future.

In the case that the present creates the past is how you deal with things that come up: conflict resolution. If something happens and you make a huge fuss over it, then you are creating hell. You record this in memory and thus your memory says that you lived in hell. But at the same time if you have a positive view of the moment, you create heaven. So, at any given moment, you can make heaven or hell out of it.

In the case that the present creates the future is also how you think about things. I'm always reminded of the quote by Henry Ford "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right". This is essentially a self fulfilling prophecy, or interpolation. Given the premise of past events (our interpretation of our memories) we can formulate a prediction for the future. Almost everyone I meet make the error of calling this confidence. In reality, confidence has nothing to do with past success, but rather the acceptance of all future outcomes.

Aside from the relative description of what the present is, there is a BBC documentary with Brian Cox trying to discover what is the constituents of time itself. So far, time is found mathematically to be quantized. But since we experience life in a smooth flowing way, the bits are very small. Think of sand flowing. Sure you can pick out the individual grains, but it still has the virtue of flow. Similar to a movie, where there are individual frames, and yet, the motion on the screen is flowing.

In my estimation, now is just a cross section of our lives. There is some flexibility here in that we can employ our brains to create both our memory of the past and our prediction of our future. The present is where it all is. And it's important to us, because this is the form we live in the universe.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What is now?

It refers to the moment in time that has not yet become part of the past, and yet is no longer a point in the future. It is the mysterious process by which the future slowly becomes the past, one second at a time.

"Now" doesn't exist. The minute you think of "now", it technically becomes the past.

MBTI
    ENTP

What is now?
    Assuming time is a line, now is a point. Traveling in one direction, the point must realize the beauty of the line in which it exists.

How would time be if it wouldn't be linear...?

Thumbs down The Power of Now

Aw c'mon, "Now", is just another cult from the USA.

And the Bible is called, unsurprisingly, "The Power of Now".

The Guru of this cult is called, "Eckhart Tolle".

But why from the USA?

This cult, like many others, finds fertile soil in the USA because the USA is based on Revolution and discounts history and looks to the future. Indeed, for the USA, "the future belongs to me".

The Cult of Now is directed against societies based in history, like mine.

And indeed the Cult of Now is directed against English, the very language we speak, because English is an historical language which can't be understood without understanding the history of each word.

But most of all, "The Power of Now " is about maximiseing power, while liberal democracy is about the limitation of power

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Aw c'mon, "Now", is just another cult from the USA.

And the Bible is called, unsurprisingly, "The Power of Now".

The Guru of this cult is called, "Eckhart Tolle".

But why from the USA?

This cult, like many others, finds fertile soil in the USA because the USA is based on Revolution and discounts history and looks to the future. Indeed, for the USA, "the future belongs to me".

The Cult of Now is directed against societies based in history, like mine.

And indeed the Cult of Now is directed against English, the very language we speak, because English is an historical language which can't be understood without understanding the history of each word.

But most of all, "The Power of Now " is about maximiseing power, while liberal democracy is about the limitation of power
    Also, it allows us to neglect our human history, and so be able to repeat past mistakes.
    “To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, & leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of any thing.”—Statement from unpublished notes for the Preface to the Opticks (1704) by Newton.

What do you think about me? And for the darker side, here.

ReflecTcelfeR

I would say that the now is the ultimate constant. Being in the now mentally really means nothing, we are constrained permanently to this exact moment and though we can plan ahead, or look behind we cannot escape it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    I would say that the now is the ultimate constant. Being in the now mentally really means nothing, we are constrained permanently to this exact moment and though we can plan ahead, or look behind we cannot escape it.
    Yes, ReflecttcelfeR.

It is the ultimate constant.
    Eternity.
    There is no other eternity.

Krishnamurti used to describe his experience of the now in the beginning of each chapter of his book.
    He said the mind obstructs the now.
    Apropos why do we live now?
    Do we live now?
    Caesar lived in the past?
    Caesar lived now if we do.

The mind obstructs, and asks: Caesar lived in his now?
    As if past were in the now.