When is something a god? Which properties are required, which ones are sufficient, which ones are optional?
I think a god has to be:
- immaterial. A god doesn't consist out of atoms. A being with all the other properties but material is a superhuman, a titan, an alien...
- conscious. A huge unconscious bunch of energy is called the big bang.
- more powerful than a human. Doesn't need to be all-powerful, just not less powerful than a human. Immaterial beings who obey humans are called demons or ghosts.
- able to communicate with humans. All people who believe in god(s) pray to them.
- able to intervene in human affairs. No deistic gods for me. If the only reason you believe in a god is to make him push the button for the big bang and don't want to accept him in your life, you're using him as a patch for lack of knowledge. I don't think any god would like that.