User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

This is funny.

"Biting a bullet" appears to simply be the author's whining that I don't believe what he does.

Taking a direct hit is an actual logical inconsistency.

I took no hits and bit three bullets.

It complained that by considering atheism faith, I have to entertain a number of absurd possibilities. Well, duh.

Furthermore, this test means nothing to a trivialist.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    This is funny.

"Biting a bullet" appears to simply be the author's whining that I don't believe what he does.

I took no hits and bit three bullets.

It complained that by considering atheism faith, I have to entertain a number of absurd possibilities. Well, duh.

Furthermore, this test means nothing to a trivialist.
    Funny thing is that some of the supposed inconsistencies are not actual inconsistencies at all; the test author relies on you conceptualising things in the same narrow way, and if you don't, there is no inconsistency. Yeah, I did like the whining on the bullet-biting front though, it made me laugh out loud in places. Apparently there's nothing so ridiculous it can not be attributed to you as the logical end result of choosing to take a different line of reasoning to the test author. :rolli:
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    This is funny.

Well, he just basically said that it meant it could lead, out of rational consistency, to you having to embrace ideas society might frown upon.

Which, in effect, I suppose is whining -- he can't complain that you were irrational, just that you might look funny believing what you believe.

Bitten bullets don't seem that relevant.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Then he is not all good, nor all bad; otherwise we would live either in a paradise or in a hell. Why would you care about an indifferent god?
    I was thinking about the god of the Bible. Perhaps that's where I failed?

Moreover: do you *need* to be omnipotent in order to be called a god?
    Again, the Biblical god.

(Argh. Belief is becoming my new ENTP peak interest)
    What do you mean?
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Oh wow. I didn't think that this test would piss people off so much. I'd reply to Magnificent Mind's rant against evolution and scientific philosophy but it's way too early in the morning for me to do any serious posting.
    I was being sarcastic with the rage. I thought it was quite funny, to be honest.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

Congratulations!

You have been awarded the TPM medal of honour! This is our highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity neither being hit nor biting a bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and very well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, you avoided both these fates - and in doing so qualify for our highest award. A fine achievement!

I was tempted to say that atheism was just another belief system, and probably would have taken a hit for it. I understand where they are coming from though. And objectively speaking, I think my (essentially faith based) approach is nothing like an atheist's (empirical/investigative). Saying that they are "believers" is just a snarky way of trying to argue with them (which I've done a few times, just being playful, grasping for some common bond or whatever ).

MBTI
    INFP

I took a hit because I said it's rational to believe the lock ness monster doesn't exist, but that atheism is irrational. The difference for me is that the existence of the lock ness monster has been thoroughly tested in a fair and scientific way, whereas the existence of God hasn't been tested in this way. This is my bad really because I was treating the questions as their real life cases, whereas the quiz wants them reduced to the issue of whether or not you require specific proof AGAINST existence.

The second hit I took was pretty much because I make a distinction between the words 'justifiable' and 'justified'. Very annoying.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Oh right, I was going to take the quiz but I can see from your posts that the entire thing is a pretext to profile and promote atheism.

No thanks.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Manis View Post
    I took a hit because I said it's rational to believe the lock ness monster doesn't exist, but that atheism is irrational. The difference for me is that the existence of the lock ness monster has been thoroughly tested in a fair and scientific way, whereas the existence of God hasn't been tested in this way. This is my bad really because I was treating the questions as their real life cases, whereas the quiz wants them reduced to the issue of whether or not you require specific proof AGAINST existence.

The second hit I took was pretty much because I make a distinction between the words 'justifiable' and 'justified'. Very annoying.
    Cryptozoologists reckon that Nessie probably lived but is by now probably dead, sometimes I wonder if it was a missile sub disguised as a monster out there during the Cold War in either case it would all depend on a lot of detail which was ommited from the straight forward yes, no, maybe answers.

I'm constantly disappointed by the pretty narrowly defined and conceited nature of atheism. To be honest I think that agnosticism or deism is more rational than atheism but to each their own really.