User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    "The ordinary man has always been sane because the ordinary man has always been a mystic. He has permitted the twilight. He has always had one foot in earth and the other in fairyland. He has always left himself free to doubt his gods; but (unlike the agnostic of to-day) free also to believe in them. He has always cared more for truth than for consistency. If he saw two truths that seemed to contradict each other, he would take the two truths and the contradiction along with them....It is exactly this balance of apparent contradictions that has been the whole buoyancy of the healthy man."
    --GK Chesterton Orthodoxy, pg. 230

Yeah that's my answer.
    Oh interesting quote...!
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Oh interesting quote...!
    I was thinking that just because it sounds profound, doesn't mean it is profound.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Oh wow. I didn't think that this test would piss people off so much. I'd reply to Magnificent Mind's rant against evolution and scientific philosophy but it's way too early in the morning for me to do any serious posting.
    Heh, the test didn't piss me off, but I did think that several of the questions were poorly worded. I felt like I had to interpret what the question really meant instead of accepting it at face value.

At any rate it's just a silly internet test. I don't see why a person's beliefs have to be logical. The fact that my beliefs are logical is just a quirk of how my brain likes to work. It doesn't inherently make me any more correct than the next person. It only makes me more consistent.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    "The ordinary man has always been sane because the ordinary man has always been a mystic. He has permitted the twilight. He has always had one foot in earth and the other in fairyland. He has always left himself free to doubt his gods; but (unlike the agnostic of to-day) free also to believe in them. He has always cared more for truth than for consistency. If he saw two truths that seemed to contradict each other, he would take the two truths and the contradiction along with them....It is exactly this balance of apparent contradictions that has been the whole buoyancy of the healthy man."
    --GK Chesterton Orthodoxy, pg. 230
    This is one of the places where me and Chesterton split ways. I'm certainly willing to accept some amount of mysticism, but I can't handle nearly as much as Roman Catholicism seems to require. Every time I hear a Catholic discussing a relic or a modern miracle I get very confused very quickly.

In fact it was my search for rational consistency that drove me to Calvinism and the reformed tradition. I certainly hope Chesterton is wrong about Calvinism leading to insanity.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Heh, the test didn't piss me off, but I did think that several of the questions were poorly worded. I felt like I had to interpret what the question really meant instead of accepting it at face value.

At any rate it's just a silly internet test. I don't see why a person's beliefs have to be logical. The fact that my beliefs are logical is just a quirk of how my brain likes to work. It doesn't inherently make me any more correct than the next person. It only makes me more consistent.
    I was not referring to you, I was referring to the people for whom rational consistency does matter, and who are therefore a little sore for not doing as well as they would have hoped.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Congratulations!

You have been awarded the TPM medal of honour! This is our highest award for outstanding service on the intellectual battleground.

The fact that you progressed through this activity neither being hit nor biting a bullet suggests that your beliefs about God are internally consistent and very well thought out.

A direct hit would have occurred had you answered in a way that implied a logical contradiction. You would have bitten bullets had you responded in ways that required that you held views that most people would have found strange, incredible or unpalatable. However, you avoided both these fates - and in doing so qualify for our highest award. A fine achievement!
    But I think it's a terrible test, honestly. Maybe it's only meant for religious people? I didn't make that assumption, but maybe I should have.

It did make me realize that my ideas about the baseline to be called a god are quite low, though. Interesting.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    In fact it was my search for rational consistency that drove me to Calvinism and the reformed tradition. I certainly hope Chesterton is wrong about Calvinism leading to insanity.
    If so, I will make sure you get good treatment and meals.

... more srsly, evangelical Protestantism never sat well with me because it demanded choosing between forced binaries, and I saw a lot of things as more blurred and overlapping than that. Also, the term "paradox" has no value outside of a framework where ideas are forced to be in opposition with each other to start with. It's not that eastern thought actively embraces what they consider to be paradox, it's that there is no paradox to accept those ideas; as far as I can tell, paradox is a western term.

I guess my shift toward a more "mystical" faith was inevitable. Some types of "contradiction" just don't bother me anymore or don't seem like contradiction per se.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...more srsly, evangelical Protestantism never sat well with me because it demanded choosing between forced binaries, and I saw a lot of things as more blurred and overlapping than that. Also, the term "paradox" has no value outside of a framework where ideas are forced to be in opposition with each other to start with. It's not that eastern thought actively embraces what they consider to be paradox, it's that there is no paradox to accept those ideas; as far as I can tell, paradox is a western term.
    Quite. This test is full of false assumptions because of their complete failure to understand this.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If so, I will make sure you get good treatment and meals.
    lol
    Thanks
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Got through it unscathed. The trick is that there's a lot of lateral thinking involved.