• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are humans basically irrational beings?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes.

Ironically the ones that think they are above such things are among the most irrational.

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
Humans are rationally irrational. Those irrationalities we have developed are evolutionarily beneficial, or at least not harmful. We have no need to be fully rational to survive, and full rationality would probably be harmful to social cohesion.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. I think it's silly when people take on an overly rationalistic view of things, it seems like they're just denying their nature. It doesn't make you a better person to be totally rational, just to be reasonable.

Lark

There's a Robert Heinlein quote that I remember about humans being rationalising rather than rational.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Humans are frighteningly rational once they've selected their goals. They know exactly how to get what they want, be it drama or attention or destruction. The selection of those goals is also rational, but it depends on one's understanding of his role in the universe. As he sees himself as a part of a whole, his understanding changes and his goals change too.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Humans are rationally irrational. Those irrationalities we have developed are evolutionarily beneficial, or at least not harmful. We have no need to be fully rational to survive, and full rationality would probably be harmful to social cohesion.

This.

Mole

Permabanned
Humans are frighteningly rational once they've selected their goals. They know exactly how to get what they want, be it drama or attention or destruction. The selection of those goals is also rational, but it depends on one's understanding of his role in the universe. As he sees himself as a part of a whole, his understanding changes and his goals change too.

Yes, we instinctively choose the shortest distance between two points. It doesn't matter whether we are out walking or implementing eugenics.

So the secret to life is to choose our two points carefully.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Rationality is acquired through wisdom and practice.

Those that are not rational either don't have the wisdom or the self-control to practice what they have learned.

Humans are irrational unless they overcome these two obstacles.

You can't call the human race basically irrational or rational because the entire spectrum of rationality exists within its population.

Lark

I think that for the most part humans are rationalising rather than rational, they find reasons after the fact, construct stories about themselves and others which are kind of personal narrations based on their inner dialogue.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmm, I dont know, I'd have to know more before commenting on that.

Who is more ignorant? A person aware of their ignorance or a person who is not even aware of their ignorance?

Likewise, who is more irrational? A person aware of their irrational tendencies or a person who denies such things and presents a pretense of rationality.

S

Sniffles

Humans are irrational in some respects, but in other respects they have rational capabilities. It's one thing that distinguishes us from other animals.

Lark

Who is more ignorant? A person aware of their ignorance or a person who is not even aware of their ignorance?

Likewise, who is more irrational? A person aware of their irrational tendencies or a person who denies such things and presents a pretense of rationality.

Well Lincoln did say better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. What do you think?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
There's a Robert Heinlein quote that I remember about humans being rationalising rather than rational.

This was my first thought when I read the title of this thread.

"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal." - Heinlein

It seems like we spend a great deal of time trying to discover the important things. In reality, we are frequently just gaining more understanding of why we do the things we do...because of human nature. In the absence of actually gaining more understanding, we make something up that is serviceably in line with our nature, like religion.

Danikov

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Two
I think that deep down, all humans are rational. Our incredible complexities help obscure the axioms on which those rationalities are based, and a lot of people make the mistake of applying their personal rationalities to other people.