User Tag List

First 12

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    Humans are frighteningly rational once they've selected their goals. They know exactly how to get what they want, be it drama or attention or destruction. The selection of those goals is also rational, but it depends on one's understanding of his role in the universe. As he sees himself as a part of a whole, his understanding changes and his goals change too.
    Yes, we instinctively choose the shortest distance between two points. It doesn't matter whether we are out walking or implementing eugenics.

So the secret to life is to choose our two points carefully.

MBTI
    INFP

Rationality is acquired through wisdom and practice.

Those that are not rational either don't have the wisdom or the self-control to practice what they have learned.

Humans are irrational unless they overcome these two obstacles.

You can't call the human race basically irrational or rational because the entire spectrum of rationality exists within its population.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think that for the most part humans are rationalising rather than rational, they find reasons after the fact, construct stories about themselves and others which are kind of personal narrations based on their inner dialogue.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hmm, I dont know, I'd have to know more before commenting on that.
    Who is more ignorant? A person aware of their ignorance or a person who is not even aware of their ignorance?

Likewise, who is more irrational? A person aware of their irrational tendencies or a person who denies such things and presents a pretense of rationality.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Sniffles

Humans are irrational in some respects, but in other respects they have rational capabilities. It's one thing that distinguishes us from other animals.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Who is more ignorant? A person aware of their ignorance or a person who is not even aware of their ignorance?

Likewise, who is more irrational? A person aware of their irrational tendencies or a person who denies such things and presents a pretense of rationality.
    Well Lincoln did say better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. What do you think?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's a Robert Heinlein quote that I remember about humans being rationalising rather than rational.
    This was my first thought when I read the title of this thread.

"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal." - Heinlein

It seems like we spend a great deal of time trying to discover the important things. In reality, we are frequently just gaining more understanding of why we do the things we do...because of human nature. In the absence of actually gaining more understanding, we make something up that is serviceably in line with our nature, like religion.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Two
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think that deep down, all humans are rational. Our incredible complexities help obscure the axioms on which those rationalities are based, and a lot of people make the mistake of applying their personal rationalities to other people.