Why should correctness evoke fear?
    Because He's got it and we don't.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    No. I think that the God we're talking about would be inherently good. You don't have to discuss this, I'm just correcting you so that others don't become confused.
    God aside, then it just boils down on your perspective of what good is and what isn't.

Depending on the context, everything can be considered good or evil from different perspectives. Omnipotence logically transcends perspective, so good and evil become a non issue. But that might be exactly what you find to be inherently good from your perspective ofcourse.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Because He's got it and we don't.
    Why is fear the proper response to that?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why is fear the proper response to that?
    If you accept the premise of the Judeo-Christian God, then fear is the proper response because humans are wrong, unrighteous, morally deficient, however you want to put it, at the mercy of a God who is the standard against which rightness is judged.

If one is to discuss humanity on one side and God on the other, the two do not balance. They cannot be discussed reasonably on equal terms. Intrinsic in the notion of that Judeo-Christian God, you see, is that He is God and we are not. There is no equivalence, no negotiation, no binding arbitration from a disinterested third party.

Based on this premise, every one of us is a fugitive from inevitable and absolute cosmic justice. That is the reason for the fear.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

If you accept the premise of the Judeo-Christian God, then fear is the proper response because humans are wrong, unrighteous, morally deficient, however you want to put it, at the mercy of a God who is the standard against which rightness is judged.

If one is to discuss humanity on one side and God on the other, the two do not balance. They cannot be discussed reasonably on equal terms. Intrinsic in the notion of that Judeo-Christian God, you see, is that He is God and we are not. There is no equivalence, no negotiation, no binding arbitration from a disinterested third party.

Based on this premise, every one of us is a fugitive from inevitable and absolute cosmic justice. That is the reason for the fear.
    So, it's because of force? That you comply to a being's will because of the force that would be enacted on you otherwise?

Seems like the only way that's not "evil" is if you carve out a "god exception."

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    God aside, then it just boils down on your perspective of what good is and what isn't.

Depending on the context, everything can be considered good or evil from different perspectives. Omnipotence logically transcends perspective, so good and evil become a non issue. But that might be exactly what you find to be inherently good from your perspective ofcourse.
    If morality became a non issue to God, as an omnipotent being, it would not prevent Him from imposing ethics on others, seeing as ethics are external principles and morals are internal and subjective. Since we are concerned about God's morality, we are imposing our ethics on Him, which is retarded if he's omnipotent.

EDIT: typo sorry keyboard broken

Oberon

So, it's because of force? That you comply to a being's will because of the force that would be enacted on you otherwise?
    NO. That's not it. It's not extortion, cosmic arm-twisting...

My belief in God is such that were he to base His judgment of me on the basis of my own right-ness, my own moral standing based on my own personal thoughts/words/actions, He would condemn me... and I would concur with His judgment.

I cannot co-exist with the God Who Is any more than a piece of tissue paper can exist in the middle of a roaring fire... and who am I to blame God for being like that fire?

That's where the fear comes from.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

NO. That's not it. It's not extortion, cosmic arm-twisting...

My belief in God is such that were he to base His judgment of me on the basis of my own right-ness, my own moral standing based on my own personal thoughts/words/actions, He would condemn me... and I would concur with His judgment.

I cannot co-exist with the God Who Is any more than a piece of tissue paper can exist in the middle of a roaring fire... and who am I to blame God for being like that fire?

That's where the fear comes from.
    What if his goodness weren't tautological?

Oberon

What if his goodness weren't tautological?
    Then it would be evident from the fact that I haven't yet gone up in a flash of flame and a puff of smoke.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Then it would be evident from the fact that I haven't yet gone up in a flash of flame and a puff of smoke.
    Isn't that slightly solipsistic? The rest of us heathens are still here.