• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is God Evil?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't agree with this characterization. From what I understand, ticket sales are down because home theaters (big screen, surround sound) directly compete with the moviegoing experience. Reality shows became popular because they're cheap, like you said, rather than more-watched than scripted shows. Since there are so many channels available these days, it's hard to charge advertisers the same rates as back in the Big Three days, when you could guarantee advertisers a double-digit percentage of the country's population watching a popular show.

Reality TV also represents "reality" far less than scripted drama. The only things "ordinary" are the participants.

Reality shows are both cheap and popular. Survivor was the #1 rated show during the season it was released. It still consistently gets the #1 rating for its time slot which is 8 pm on Thursdays, the most coveted spot for advertisers. American Idol also gets huge ratings.

Also it's true that movie makers rationalize their decline by blaming at home theatres, but in reality the people who want the best "home" entertainment never really wanted to patronize movie theatres to begin with. Home theatres compete more with TV than they do with movies. Former movie goers are simply choosing not to see as many movies as they used to.

I think you misunderstood me when I said "dogma". I didn't mean pomp and ceremony as much as rigid adherence to certain principles as capital-T True. On campus, if you say something is True, someone is likely to challenge you on it. That can feel hostile.

This is true but minor. You may be surprised that many people do not mind (or even like) being challenged on topics that they are interested in, especially if there is quite a bit more they need to learn about it. However academia generally does not try to answer questions that most people are interested in. When this happens in academia it is an exception rather than the rule.

I disagree. It is the job of teachers to provide the tools and knowledge those on the applied side need in order to fix the problems around us. It's the difference between an architect and an engineer - an architect provides the vision and determines if things are possible, while an engineer figures out exactly how it's supposed to be done.

When it comes to this topic academics represent neither the architect nor the engineer. This is because academics are part of the problem. Academia has always been far removed from society, but now cultural factors are asking them to be more relevant. However most academics long for the "good ole days" when there were fewer students. In earlier days only the most academically inclined students came to college.

Now lots of people are coming to college, and the experience of many college students is that college is mostly irrelevant information. When you compound that with the secular atmosphere it's going to leave many people disenchanted with academia in general. The academics seem inauthentic, because they portray a worldview that is significantly different from that of the students'. Of course to the typical person this is mostly just a vague feeling that something is wrong. Since the academics won't explain this feeling, then all these people have is Fox News.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Fox news is obviously right wing, but you guys do realize that a lot of the shows, especially primetime, are opinion shows, not factual news reports, right? It seems to overly villified, though I can understand why.

G

Ginkgo

When it comes to this topic academics represent neither the architect nor the engineer. This is because academics are part of the problem. Academia has always been far removed from society, but now cultural factors are asking them to be more relevant. However most academics long for the "good ole days" when there were fewer students. In earlier days only the most academically inclined students came to college.

I'm guessing this is because it was easier to find a profitable job without a college degree in the "good ole days"?

Fox news is obviously right wing, but you guys do realize that a lot of the shows, especially primetime, are opinion shows, not factual news reports, right? It seems to overly villified, though I can understand why.

It's difficult to speak for most people, but I think most people don't realize this. Primetime shows are how people actually base their political opinions. And yes, many of the news reports are skewed beyond belief. I mean, it's one thing to form an opinion about a story in the news, but to jumble the facts is another. I'm feeling the urge to make fun of Glenn Beck. Someone restrain me.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP

Yeah I know that some of the shows are news and some are opinion. However even their news is what I would call "news with an agenda". When pundits on Fox News talk about a "liberal agenda" it is mostly a case of them projecting.

I'm guessing this is because it was easier to find a profitable job without a college degree in the "good ole days"?

I'm sure that's true. :yes:

S

Sniffles

Concerning media bias, I think this summarises the issue pretty well:
[youtube="y4hruz5_Euo"]Media bias[/youtube]

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
What if one were to say, "God is evil for creating evil." Would this be a reasonable enough thought?

Firstly, in order to be good, one certainly cannot create evil because that action itself is evil. The devil is evil because he rejects god, but god himself created the ability for one to reject him; so, therefore, perhaps it is reasonable to say that, "by creating evil, and by allowing satan to reject his creator, god has directly influenced the actions and reactions of satan and therefore, god is the true mastermind behind evil, and he is the only reason it continues to exist. Therefore, by means of his actions, god is evil."

The devil is not the author of lies, god is.

Lark

TV equivalent of the newspapers owned by the same guy, it is opinion or entertainment or maybe infotainment, in the UK most of Murdochs papers are tabloids but its different to what that word means in the US.

Nicodemus

That which is perfect lacks nothings, desires nothing, is silent and immobile, for perfection is all in itself. Since we all exist, which even the great book of lies confirms, that what created us (or the world/universe) cannot be perfect and is, therefore, not 'god'.

But he is evil still!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Haven't read the thread, sorry if redundant.)

God is an indifferent and angry character by all my understanding of Him. We're here to do His will for some reason or other. I think Jesus or any other savior we are hoping for is the one who makes the situation loving and merciful. Some "I was human before" middle man who can reason with God for us. If Jesus IS God, then, phew. That makes everything easier.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any criticism?

Have you noticed that the God of the Old Testament is quite different from that of the New Testament, and that any criticism of God concerns events in the Old Testament? You might want to reflect on that first.