User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 153

Thread: Is God Evil?

  1. #51
    Senior Member paisley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Prove??, that scripture gets it's authority from itself, and only through the Spirit it can be understood? Ok, 1Timothy3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.", and in Romans 8:7 it says, "the sinful mind is hostile to God. it does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so." Those are the precedents of the Bible's internal logic on it's own authority and why it's understood through the Spirit.

    Why did God give us the option to continue in life (righteousness) as opposed to death (unrighteousness)? He loves us and wants us to live, as he created us to live.

    Why is it wrong to tell God, "I don't want to."? He created us to live, and he'd prefer we chose life as opposed to death. "I don't want to", is death. As an aside, C.S. Lewis wrote a fascinating short story called "The Great Divorce" which describes how people in hell are there willingly, and choose hell over heaven, because they're so sin soaked and filled with pride with "I don't want to's.". Lewis makes his famous quote, "There are only two types of people in this world, those who say to God "Your will be done" and those to whom God says "Your will be done". If God created you, wants you to live well, created you with the intention to live in relationship with Him, there should never be a moment you'll have to say no to a serious request, as he is good by nature. Only deception makes you say no to God, and only Christ can bring you out of that deception, but we can talk about justice and mercy later.

    I live in a global village, where there is no "out-group", only one great big "in-group", where there actually is an absolute morality to be found amongst all people due to God's general revelation of himself through creation.

    As well, with the continued, "prove it" statements, I don't have to prove with 100% certainty, I just have to make logical arguments that are more logical than their negation. Moral questions are predicated upon something, and I'm simply arguing upon a reasonable ground, otherwise, there is no such thing as good vs evil, but just people, like Richard Dawkings says, "dancing to the strings of their DNA". I just choose the one that gives an ultimate hope and meaning to this life.
    "Truth stands true, independent of whether you agree with it or not."

    "Don't let what matters least, matter most."

    Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

  2. #52
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    I just choose the one that gives an ultimate hope and meaning to this life.
    Ditto. That's why I choose free will and good will with no vill.

  3. #53
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Then why would God forbid his chosen people to eat pork? That's a real dick move.
    Is this a pork issue, or a dick issue?

  4. #54
    Reason vs Being ragashree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Is this a pork issue, or a dick issue?


    I would call it "argument by personal incredulity". Otherwise, hmmm, a dick issue?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

  5. #55
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paisley1 View Post
    As well, with the continued, "prove it" statements, I don't have to prove with 100% certainty, I just have to make logical arguments that are more logical than their negation. Moral questions are predicated upon something, and I'm simply arguing upon a reasonable ground, otherwise, there is no such thing as good vs evil, but just people, like Richard Dawkings says, "dancing to the strings of their DNA". I just choose the one that gives an ultimate hope and meaning to this life.
    And there's the core of the issue - you have to start from negation. You can't assume something is there until you've got evidence it is there. Otherwise, we'd still be going on about phlogiston and the luminiferous aether.

    I personally think that an entirely materialistic view of the universe is absolutely full of hope and meaning. Our hope is in our experience and the warm feelings from good memories we carry within ourselves. Our meaning needs not be anything more than the impact we have on those around us, and the relationships we treasure with them.

  6. #56
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Is this a pork issue, or a dick issue?
    You tell me, you big stud

  7. #57
    Senior Member paisley1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    EIE None
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Reminds me of Dougall from Father Ted.

    YouTube - Peanuts & Skepticism

    There's excellent evidence for God existing, and more reasonable for than against. The arguments are stacked in God's favor, at least the main arguments from Cosmology, Teleology, Ontology and Morality. What does the atheist have, but from nothing, everything came, and there is no ULTIMATE meaning or hope to our existence (as in an afterlife), as I was careful to preface it that way, as everyone finds some sort of meaning and hope in life, it's just relativistic, and not binding, therefore, not necessarily ultimately true.
    "Truth stands true, independent of whether you agree with it or not."

    "Don't let what matters least, matter most."

    Extroverted (E) 50% Introverted (I) 50%
    Intuitive (N) 62.5% Sensing (S) 37.5%
    Feeling (F) 51.61% Thinking (T) 48.39%
    Judging (J) 51.52% Perceiving (P) 48.48%
    8w9 EIE

  8. #58
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Why do we need an afterlife for this life to be meaningful?

  9. #59
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,431

    Default

    Where did you get the idea we do?

  10. #60
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    The preacherman on the teevee

Similar Threads

  1. Is God Evil? Can we overthrow him?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM
  2. What is God?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM
  3. What Type is God?
    By Haight in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
  4. is God sadistic??? Or is it just me?
    By targobelle in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
  5. "A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."
    By sriv in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO