User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

Results 141 to 150 of 153

Thread: Is God Evil?

  1. #141
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I don't agree with this characterization. From what I understand, ticket sales are down because home theaters (big screen, surround sound) directly compete with the moviegoing experience. Reality shows became popular because they're cheap, like you said, rather than more-watched than scripted shows. Since there are so many channels available these days, it's hard to charge advertisers the same rates as back in the Big Three days, when you could guarantee advertisers a double-digit percentage of the country's population watching a popular show.

    Reality TV also represents "reality" far less than scripted drama. The only things "ordinary" are the participants.
    Reality shows are both cheap and popular. Survivor was the #1 rated show during the season it was released. It still consistently gets the #1 rating for its time slot which is 8 pm on Thursdays, the most coveted spot for advertisers. American Idol also gets huge ratings.

    Also it's true that movie makers rationalize their decline by blaming at home theatres, but in reality the people who want the best "home" entertainment never really wanted to patronize movie theatres to begin with. Home theatres compete more with TV than they do with movies. Former movie goers are simply choosing not to see as many movies as they used to.

    I think you misunderstood me when I said "dogma". I didn't mean pomp and ceremony as much as rigid adherence to certain principles as capital-T True. On campus, if you say something is True, someone is likely to challenge you on it. That can feel hostile.
    This is true but minor. You may be surprised that many people do not mind (or even like) being challenged on topics that they are interested in, especially if there is quite a bit more they need to learn about it. However academia generally does not try to answer questions that most people are interested in. When this happens in academia it is an exception rather than the rule.

    I disagree. It is the job of teachers to provide the tools and knowledge those on the applied side need in order to fix the problems around us. It's the difference between an architect and an engineer - an architect provides the vision and determines if things are possible, while an engineer figures out exactly how it's supposed to be done.
    When it comes to this topic academics represent neither the architect nor the engineer. This is because academics are part of the problem. Academia has always been far removed from society, but now cultural factors are asking them to be more relevant. However most academics long for the "good ole days" when there were fewer students. In earlier days only the most academically inclined students came to college.

    Now lots of people are coming to college, and the experience of many college students is that college is mostly irrelevant information. When you compound that with the secular atmosphere it's going to leave many people disenchanted with academia in general. The academics seem inauthentic, because they portray a worldview that is significantly different from that of the students'. Of course to the typical person this is mostly just a vague feeling that something is wrong. Since the academics won't explain this feeling, then all these people have is Fox News.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  2. #142
    Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    925

    Default

    Fox news is obviously right wing, but you guys do realize that a lot of the shows, especially primetime, are opinion shows, not factual news reports, right? It seems to overly villified, though I can understand why.
    Johari Nohari

    "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

  3. #143
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post


    When it comes to this topic academics represent neither the architect nor the engineer. This is because academics are part of the problem. Academia has always been far removed from society, but now cultural factors are asking them to be more relevant. However most academics long for the "good ole days" when there were fewer students. In earlier days only the most academically inclined students came to college.
    I'm guessing this is because it was easier to find a profitable job without a college degree in the "good ole days"?


    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Fox news is obviously right wing, but you guys do realize that a lot of the shows, especially primetime, are opinion shows, not factual news reports, right? It seems to overly villified, though I can understand why.
    It's difficult to speak for most people, but I think most people don't realize this. Primetime shows are how people actually base their political opinions. And yes, many of the news reports are skewed beyond belief. I mean, it's one thing to form an opinion about a story in the news, but to jumble the facts is another. I'm feeling the urge to make fun of Glenn Beck. Someone restrain me.

  4. #144
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Fox news is obviously right wing, but you guys do realize that a lot of the shows, especially primetime, are opinion shows, not factual news reports, right? It seems to overly villified, though I can understand why.
    Yeah I know that some of the shows are news and some are opinion. However even their news is what I would call "news with an agenda". When pundits on Fox News talk about a "liberal agenda" it is mostly a case of them projecting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I'm guessing this is because it was easier to find a profitable job without a college degree in the "good ole days"?
    I'm sure that's true.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  5. #145
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Concerning media bias, I think this summarises the issue pretty well:
    [youtube="y4hruz5_Euo"]Media bias[/youtube]

  6. #146
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Concerning media bias, I think this summarises the issue pretty well:
    THIS ISN'T OBJECTIVE! :steam:

  7. #147
    What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    What if one were to say, "God is evil for creating evil." Would this be a reasonable enough thought?

    Firstly, in order to be good, one certainly cannot create evil because that action itself is evil. The devil is evil because he rejects god, but god himself created the ability for one to reject him; so, therefore, perhaps it is reasonable to say that, "by creating evil, and by allowing satan to reject his creator, god has directly influenced the actions and reactions of satan and therefore, god is the true mastermind behind evil, and he is the only reason it continues to exist. Therefore, by means of his actions, god is evil."

    The devil is not the author of lies, god is.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

    This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

    Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...



  8. #148
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Fox news is obviously right wing, but you guys do realize that a lot of the shows, especially primetime, are opinion shows, not factual news reports, right? It seems to overly villified, though I can understand why.
    TV equivalent of the newspapers owned by the same guy, it is opinion or entertainment or maybe infotainment, in the UK most of Murdochs papers are tabloids but its different to what that word means in the US.

  9. #149
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,133

    Default

    That which is perfect lacks nothings, desires nothing, is silent and immobile, for perfection is all in itself. Since we all exist, which even the great book of lies confirms, that what created us (or the world/universe) cannot be perfect and is, therefore, not 'god'.

    But he is evil still!

  10. #150
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    God is an evil mastermind that watches us all suffer from his all mighty cloud up high among the pinnacles of Heaven who is laughing at the painful struggles of us mortals!

Similar Threads

  1. Is God Evil? Can we overthrow him?
    By RaptorWizard in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM
  2. What is God?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM
  3. What Type is God?
    By Haight in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
  4. is God sadistic??? Or is it just me?
    By targobelle in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
  5. "A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on."
    By sriv in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO