• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who, or what, is this "God"?

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
If there was such a thing as a true proposition, I'd say that you hadn't understood me.

It's difficult telling sincerity from sarcasm when the...opponent...is words on a computer screen, though I'm starting to lean towards the latter.

streetlightfancy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
God is purpose. Across all religions, the experience of God is the same. Religion is a search for transcendence and God is a means to this. Even in religions that do not have an external or concrete conception of a God (Buddhism for example) talk of transcending this world, this reality (nirvana).

( I obviously haven't been following this thread, I'm just putting in my two cents )

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
I'd use your NF insight to work it out, if I were you. Or would I?

Oh, gad...

*facepalm*

Yes, telling what someone I barely know is thinking based on a few words is definitely something I should be able to do; you have me there.

So...you walk into my thread, not with answers, but to show a severely underdeveloped and jaded understanding of MBTI. This makes me curious as to what, actually, you have to say about the thread's subject; you know...that oh-so-little thing you stepped over on your way to insulting my entire temperament. So answer the questions, and prove that NTs are better at this.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, telling what someone I barely know is thinking based on a few words is definitely something I should be able to do; you have me there.

What?

Anyway, some would say that it was obvious that I was being sarcastic, and only an insufferable dolt would fail to apprehend this. Of course, "some" lack the NF insight which you possess, and so are manifestly unreliable in their judgement.

So...you walk into my thread, not with answers, but to show a severely underdeveloped and jaded understanding of MBTI. This makes me curious as to what, actually, you have to say about the thread's subject; you know...that oh-so-little thing you stepped over on your way to insulting my entire temperament. So answer the questions, and prove that NTs are better at this.

I'm afraid I simply cannot compete with "there is no truth". I must bow out it in quiet obeisance to the brilliance of such a claim; I admit, you have bested me already.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Imagining is more like re-organizing nowadays. I'm inclined to say that just because we can't find the truth doesn't mean there isn't one, we just haven't realized all of the possibilities yet.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
"I think, therefore I am"

ask yourself, "I am... true or false?"

Proof that absolute truth exists... and since absolute truth exists, there must also be false truth... and since there is absolute truth and false truth, anything will be one or the other. Therefore, "it is a matter of perspective, nothing is black and white" is also a false truth.

you might say, "but, we can't know the truth", and I'd say "I agree, I don't think you know the truth either."

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
Imagining is more like re-organizing nowadays. I'm inclined to say that just because we can't find the truth doesn't mean there isn't one, we just haven't realized all of the possibilities yet.

We'll see, I suppose.

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4

It means "I think you're wrong."

Anyway, some would say that it was obvious that I was being sarcastic, and only an insufferable dolt would fail to apprehend this.

And some would also say jumping to conclusions is reckless, and that I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Of course, "some" lack the NF insight which you possess, and so are manifestly unreliable in their judgement.

Don't do that; I never said we're superior, I just said we're not inferior.

I'm afraid I simply cannot compete with "there is no truth". I must bow out it in quiet obeisance to the brilliance of such a claim; I admit, you have bested me already.

If sarcastic remarks are all you can throw at me, there is no point in continuing this conversation.

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
"I think, therefore I am"

ask yourself, "I am... true or false?"

Am I? With all the variables we've been discussing, how can I be sure?

Proof that absolute truth exists... and since absolute truth exists, there must also be false truth... and since there is absolute truth and false truth, anything will be one or the other. Therefore, "it is a matter of perspective, nothing is black and white" is also a false truth.

...unless everything's not one or the other; that's called a "circular argument", I believe. You assume one thing is true, and use that to prove another thing that, if true, would prove it (the first thing) true.

you might say, "but, we can't know the truth", and I'd say "I agree, I don't think you know the truth either."

Sadly no, but I try.

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
Am I? With all the variables we've been discussing, how can I be sure?

...unless everything's not one or the other; that's called a "circular argument", I believe. You assume one thing is true, and use that to prove another thing that, if true, would prove it (the first thing) true.

If you're not sure whether you exist or not, why (or how, even) are you asking these question in the first place?

Truth exists as an absolute state per that proof, so everything else is untrue or false truth. Two categories, two adjectives to describe something--true or false. Whether it can be proven one way or another is irrelevant except for convincing someone of it.

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
If you're not sure whether you exist, why are you asking this question in the first place?

Because you asked me to. Just now.

Truth exists as an absolute state per that proof, so everything else is untrue or false truth. Two categories, two adjectives to describe something--true or false. Whether it can be proven one way or another is irrelevant except for convincing someone of it.

So...it can't be proven, yet it is; or did you mean whether or not something specific can be proven true? I continue to put forth that nothing is black and white; the world is much bigger than that.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Because you asked me to. Just now.

So...it can't be proven, yet it is; or did you mean whether or not something specific can be proven true? I continue to put forth that nothing is black and white; the world is much bigger than that.

I can contest that I can find several laws that are black and white (i.e. gravity). Existence is rather pointless to argue over seeing as the same arguments are continuously brought up until circularly you end up where you began. It doesn't matter whether you do, or not... you just are. If you DID figure out that you didn't exist in what way would that help you?