User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Are some people spiritual or philosophical growth limited by type?

Can your type limit your spiritual or philosophical growth? I was wondering this after getting an abridged copy of Meister Eckhart's works, he eschewed logic and reason altogether in his spirituality, its a good read and I've always thought that rationality and logic here over rated but I do have an inclination towards more of a thinking mans approach that seems to be present here.

This was pointed out to me once by a Jesuit who, without being quite able to find the words, suggested that I use "imagination" rather than thinking or, specifically, reading.

What's everyones views, do you only grow within the channel set by your type?

MBTI
    ISTx

Type has little to do with spiritual growth, though I think one's display of and practice in their spirituality may be illustrated differently among the different types.

But I must ask, what does growth in spiritualism look like to you?

I thought that it was strange that this page said the ISFP was inclined to be spiritual.

They're more spiritually aware than most people, and are more in touch with their soul than others. Most ISFPs have strong Faith. Those that don't may feel as if they're missing something important. An ISFP should nourish their faith.

I'd probably take offense at that if I was another type. I happen to be spiritual though, but more in a personalized way. I still end up getting in disagreements with traditional clergy, or laymen alike (not all Christians either.. some Buddhists as well).

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Can your type limit your spiritual or philosophical growth? I was wondering this after getting an abridged copy of Meister Eckhart's works, he eschewed logic and reason altogether in his spirituality, its a good read and I've always thought that rationality and logic here over rated but I do have an inclination towards more of a thinking mans approach that seems to be present here.

This was pointed out to me once by a Jesuit who, without being quite able to find the words, suggested that I use "imagination" rather than thinking or, specifically, reading.

What's everyones views, do you only grow within the channel set by your type?
    True INTPs are one of the few types that could care less about 'acceptance' or 'validation' from others, so peer pressure is meaningless, and from what I can see, that is the big reason so many struggle with this.

I do not believe you have to throw out logic or reason in order to be 'spiritual', but I see that many people do believe that it is one or the other. Personally, spiritual to me means religion. I do not believe in religion. I have a personal, daily, relationship with Jesus Christ. I got to that point because it was illogical and unreasonable to not believe. He speaks, it happens, period. It blows my mind.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    True INTPs are one of the few types that could care less about 'acceptance' or 'validation' from others, so peer pressure is meaningless, and from what I can see, that is the big reason so many struggle with this.

I do not believe you have to throw out logic or reason in order to be 'spiritual', but I see that many people do believe that it is one or the other. Personally, spiritual to me means religion. I do not believe in religion. I have a personal, daily, relationship with Jesus Christ. I got to that point because it was illogical and unreasonable to not believe. He speaks, it happens, period. It blows my mind.
    Yeah, I knew I totally and utterly opposed your version of Christianity, you pretty much just confirmed all my prejudices about you. Going to go with my prejudices more often I think.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, I knew I totally and utterly opposed your version of Christianity, you pretty much just confirmed all my prejudices about you. Going to go with my prejudices more often I think.
    Too protestant sounding for north ireland eh?
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    INTJ

What is spiritual growth?

Unless you just mean spiritual change, it would be impossible to gauge without knowing which aspects of spirituality are "higher" or "better" than others.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

No... I think we are all 'limited' in different ways. There are so many ways to grow. So many paths to wholeness, based on where we start. And I think wholeness will look different based on where we start as well.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    9, 5
    Socionics
    INTj

Spirituality does not mean 'Christianity'. And yes, my type does affect my pursuit of spirituality. I have studied MANY different religions in depth to see which one I agree with the most. And that doesn't mean to my benefit, either.
    I feel a deeper understanding of what other people feel when they choose a religion for themselves, and foremost what I choose for me.
    Religion is not what people tell you. It is what you find. It is not material items handed to you in a box from your mom on Christmas. It is a powerful surge of knowing something you feel to be true. And the INTP with Introverted Thinking will contemplate many aspects of something, especially if handed to them. They have to find it for themselves. And that is religion to this INTP.
    What is normal to one, is incomprehensible to another.

ALL anger in this world stems from a lack of control.

All of reality bows to the illusion of life and death.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

ESTPs are supposed to be amongst the lowest of all MBTI types with regard to associating with spiritual ideals, or participating in spiritual social groups/organizations, something like that. I am going to have to agree on this one.

I have my own definition of spirituality, and am at peace with it, and the univers, and the God of my understanding, but I'll be damned if I am going to let anyone, or any organization tell me what to think or feel.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro