User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    What is spiritual growth?

Unless you just mean spiritual change, it would be impossible to gauge without knowing which aspects of spirituality are "higher" or "better" than others.
    True, but I would suggest that growth corresponds to increased spiritual understanding. In other words, a specific flavor of change. One's new spiritual framework may be "better" than the old one only in the sense that it is more suited to one's situation and needs in life. Having made the change, one now has new insights to add to the old.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Can your type limit your spiritual or philosophical growth?
    Hmm... I don't know how far can you really get with spirituality... I haven't really experienced anything truly magical and if I won't have any enlightening experience in the future, I expect that I have now come to the limit of the philosophical type of spirituality. I can admit that there is nothing for certain, it is just the vague thing here that is my life and I have no idea where it comes from and I don't see anything other than some religious experience that could take away this feeling of... ignorance. Personally I think that anyone who doesn't get to this point is just not fond of thinking, I don't see any other places to get to if you think long enough...

So, is this a reflection of my type?

Ginkgo

I do not think that philosophical/spiritual growth is limited by type. I think we all grow in different directions, like bushes and trees grow according to their environment and species. Some of us are tomatoes who grow into the ground, while others are palm trees who grow one way up, and others are like vines who go all over the place without one fixed foundation.

I have seen tendencies for particular types to hold particular philisophical or spiritual beliefs. I see patterns, but thos patterns are not universal to every individual.

I often see that those who have strong inclinations for Fi are fond of valuing what it means to be human. Albert Schweitzer, for instance, coined the philosophy of "reverence for life" (INFP). He thought that Western Society was trying to derive ethical standards from empirical reality, which was/is dangerous because the empirical world is ethically neutral. This indicates a strong preference for Fi and a lesser preference for Te. You can also see this in Tom Paine's (ENFP) The Rights of Man, emphasizing individual freedoms and securities.

TJs, on the other hand, particularly NTJs, tend to focus on observing empirical evidence, digesting it, and synthesizing it into something unforeseen. Their assessments always strike me as more superficial than assessments of those who prefer Ti. Ayn Rand always comes to mind here, with her Objectivism crock of a philosophy. I think C.S. Lewis was wonderful at turning concepts upside down in a similar way, though he certainly had different values than Rand.

Remember that your type does not limit your growth. Your type is just a model. You determine what your path is, though it will be augmented through the lens of your worldview, which is not determined by type, but instead shaped by type.

I kind of want to transcend type I think and experience major sensing, feeling, percepting as a spiritual trip.

Ginkgo

I kind of want to transcend type I think and experience major sensing, feeling, percepting as a spiritual trip.
    Why? Do you feel like your current mode of thinking is limiting what you think you ought to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Why? Do you feel like your current mode of thinking is limiting what you think you ought to believe?
    Not what I ought to believe, that's fine but on an experiential level, I'm thinking it not living it, although it could be the influence of Meister Eckhart et al who're mystics rather than thinker judgers.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

to the OP... no
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Ginkgo

Not what I ought to believe, that's fine but on an experiential level, I'm thinking it not living it, although it could be the influence of Meister Eckhart et al who're mystics rather than thinker judgers.
    How do you want to experience it? You could go out and do some charity work, or maybe a mission. Those sorts of things can change your experience quite deeply.

... Or are you talking about drug induced spiritual trips or something? Uhh...

Ginkgo

I really think that logic and reason are both core faculties of the human mind, and as such, they must play some role in every human endeavor. This includes spirituality.

But you really can't reason unless you have faith in your reason; and you can't have faith unless you have reason to do so. They're pretty much part of the same mold.

The problem, I think, arises when people neglect one or the other too much.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Type has nothing to do with a sense of spirituality. Nothing at all. Neither does logic, although you may feel a need to reconcile your spiritual inclinations with, say, the physical laws of the universe...