User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 61

  1. #21
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Mathematics is only useful when it is put into practice as a tool to construct things, when there is just theory it is unlimited and useless.
    Mathematicians do mathematics for it own sake.

    Those who regard mathematics as a tool are as vulgar as those who regard music as a tool.

    But don't tell me, I can hear it coming, you regard MBTI is simply a tool.

    If you regard mathematics or music or MBTI as a tool, you become a tool yourself.

  2. #22
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I understand you are as reluctant to let go of God as letting go of mathematics.

    You are certainly not alone.
    Where the argument really lies is, what evidence is there really for proving God's non existence? What has been found today that hasn't been found in this past?

  3. #23
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Mathematicians do mathematics for it own sake.

    Those who regard mathematics as a tool are as vulgar as those who regard music as a tool.

    But don't tell me, I can hear it coming, you regard MBTI is simply a tool.

    If you regard mathematics or music or MBTI as a tool, you become a tool yourself.
    Actually I do regard all those things as a tool, why is it negative to become a tool? Music is a tool, music is a tool for many reasons, music is a tool for happiness and pleasure. Music is a tool for the sensations it puts forward to our ears, a tool to help us grow.

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Mathematicians do mathematics for it own sake.

    Those who regard mathematics as a tool are as vulgar as those who regard music as a tool.

    But don't tell me, I can hear it coming, you regard MBTI is simply a tool.

    If you regard mathematics or music or MBTI as a tool, you become a tool yourself.
    Math is no more than a complex of numbers, a problem, if there is no discovery process and it can't be used it's useless to our world and left in thin air.

  5. #25
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Where the argument really lies is, what evidence is there really for proving God's non existence? What has been found today that hasn't been found in this past?
    The latest evidence is found in, "The Double Helix", by Watson and Crick.

    Surely you have heard of the sequencing of the genome and how it shows forever, "The Origin of Species", is correct.

    God is no longer necessary except on the USA dollar which says, "In God We Trust", and of course to justify Islamic Jihad.

    God has been relegated to the dollar and jihad.

  6. #26
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Math is no more than a complex of numbers, a problem, if there is no discovery process and it can't be used it's useless to our world and left in thin air.
    What can I say? You seem to have no experience of Pure Mathematics and confuse it with Applied Mathematics.

  7. #27
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Actually I do regard all those things as a tool, why is it negative to become a tool? Music is a tool, music is a tool for many reasons, music is a tool for happiness and pleasure. Music is a tool for the sensations it puts forward to our ears, a tool to help us grow.
    A tool is for instrumental purposes while Pure Mathematics is for intrinsic purposes.

    Perhaps you regard yourself as an instrument of God, but I see you as an end in yourself, not a means to an end, even of God.

  8. #28
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What can I say? You seem to have no experience of Pure Mathematics and confuse it with Applied Mathematics.
    I like how you just rant out a personal attack instead giving a reasonable argument.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A tool is for instrumental purposes while Pure Mathematics is for intrinsic purposes.

    Perhaps you regard yourself as an instrument of God, but I see you as an end in yourself, not a means to an end, even of God.
    your a wacko to think math will solve anything if not used for something practical, even for intrinsic purposes the mathematician is exercising his brain, to develop his complex thinking skills, thus also a tool. The argument of math being used for intrinsic purposes is a fallacy in and of itself.

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A tool is for instrumental purposes while Pure Mathematics is for intrinsic purposes.

    Perhaps you regard yourself as an instrument of God, but I see you as an end in yourself, not a means to an end, even of God.
    I'm glad you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The Care and Keeping of Your INFX
    By Coeur in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 05:59 PM
  2. The Manners and Mores of Protestantism
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 11:41 PM
  3. [MBTItm] The Costs and Benefits of Thinking and Non-thinking
    By Provoker in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 09:48 PM
  4. Are beginnings and endings necessary?
    By nightning in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO