User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Mathematics is only useful when it is put into practice as a tool to construct things, when there is just theory it is unlimited and useless.
    Mathematicians do mathematics for it own sake.

Those who regard mathematics as a tool are as vulgar as those who regard music as a tool.

But don't tell me, I can hear it coming, you regard MBTI is simply a tool.

If you regard mathematics or music or MBTI as a tool, you become a tool yourself.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I understand you are as reluctant to let go of God as letting go of mathematics.

You are certainly not alone.
    Where the argument really lies is, what evidence is there really for proving God's non existence? What has been found today that hasn't been found in this past?

Permabanned

Those who regard mathematics as a tool are as vulgar as those who regard music as a tool.

If you regard mathematics or music or MBTI as a tool, you become a tool yourself.
    Actually I do regard all those things as a tool, why is it negative to become a tool? Music is a tool, music is a tool for many reasons, music is a tool for happiness and pleasure. Music is a tool for the sensations it puts forward to our ears, a tool to help us grow.

Permabanned

Math is no more than a complex of numbers, a problem, if there is no discovery process and it can't be used it's useless to our world and left in thin air.

Smile

Where the argument really lies is, what evidence is there really for proving God's non existence? What has been found today that hasn't been found in this past?
    The latest evidence is found in, "The Double Helix", by Watson and Crick.

Surely you have heard of the sequencing of the genome and how it shows forever, "The Origin of Species", is correct.

God is no longer necessary except on the USA dollar which says, "In God We Trust", and of course to justify Islamic Jihad.

God has been relegated to the dollar and jihad.

Smile

Math is no more than a complex of numbers, a problem, if there is no discovery process and it can't be used it's useless to our world and left in thin air.
    What can I say? You seem to have no experience of Pure Mathematics and confuse it with Applied Mathematics.

Smile

Actually I do regard all those things as a tool, why is it negative to become a tool? Music is a tool, music is a tool for many reasons, music is a tool for happiness and pleasure. Music is a tool for the sensations it puts forward to our ears, a tool to help us grow.
    A tool is for instrumental purposes while Pure Mathematics is for intrinsic purposes.

Perhaps you regard yourself as an instrument of God, but I see you as an end in yourself, not a means to an end, even of God.

Permabanned

What can I say? You seem to have no experience of Pure Mathematics and confuse it with Applied Mathematics.
    I like how you just rant out a personal attack instead giving a reasonable argument.

Permabanned

A tool is for instrumental purposes while Pure Mathematics is for intrinsic purposes.

Perhaps you regard yourself as an instrument of God, but I see you as an end in yourself, not a means to an end, even of God.
    your a wacko to think math will solve anything if not used for something practical, even for intrinsic purposes the mathematician is exercising his brain, to develop his complex thinking skills, thus also a tool. The argument of math being used for intrinsic purposes is a fallacy in and of itself.

Permabanned

I'm glad you see the light at the end of the tunnel.