User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Philosophy and happiness

What is, in your opinion, the philosophy that is more conductive of happiness?*

Bonus question : can an ascetic approach to life lead to happiness?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Why didn't this thread appear on new posts when I've created it? And how come there are never any responses when I post in this subforum.

I know I'm not as charming as SolitaryWalker people, but c'mon.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Philosophy is play doh for my brain. Happiness is a choice. It isn't always easy to make that choice though.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Philosophy is play doh for my brain. Happiness is a choice. It isn't always easy to make that choice though.
    I don't understand. Philosophy is play doh? As something that effectively molds your brain and the way you carry your life, or simply as a curious pastime?

Happiness is a choice. And philosophy is also about choice. I'm not talking about discussing philosophy...but about living philosophy.

Like Diogenes of Sinope or some other loser/hero (person).

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't understand. Philosophy is play doh? As something that effectively molds your brain and the way you carry your life, or simply as a curious pastime?

Happiness is a choice. And philosophy is also about choice. I'm not talking about discussing philosophy...but about living philosophy.

Like Diogenes of Sinope or some other loser/hero (person).
    Philosophy is just the love and pursuit of 'wisdom' and 'knowledge' - which to me is play doh for the mind. Philosophy is something to play with until you decide what you believe, which becomes your "worldview".

MBTI
    ISFJ

Philosophy is just the love and pursuit of 'wisdom' and 'knowledge' - which to me is play doh for the mind. Philosophy is something to play with until you decide what you believe, which becomes your "worldview".
    Exactly, and deciding what you believe is your worldview is important....what is then, in your opinion, best belief to be happy?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Probably would depend on what someone considered happiness to be.

Personally I find comfort in post-structuralist theories that kind of veer towards entropy or lack of ideology. Anything that refutes ideological truth and breaks down things like "wrong" and "right" make me happy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Did anyone see or remember the PBS special on Philosophy? I can't remember the name of the series or the man's name (he was British) that did it but he delved into this. I don't remember all of them (watching it at 3 a.m.) but I did like the one dealing with anger/disappointment. He basically said that anger happens when you want expect--and most of the time, unreasonably so--something and it doesn't happen. Cure for that? Stop having expectations; you know shit happens. If it's not; then the pipe is temporarily clogged. He may not have put it like that but that was the basic gist of his message gleaned from...oh, damn, a senator's writings (?) during Nero's time.

He had another one dealing with love, the "good" life, and a few other things.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Exactly, and deciding what you believe is your worldview is important....what is then, in your opinion, best belief to be happy?
    I think you are asking what/who my belief that 'happiness is a choice' is based on? If so, then Yahweh God. He said 'in whatever state you find yourself in, be content'. Happiness is not something you pursue (though many do to no avail) - you can't buy it, you can't meditate or think your way to it, it is simply a choice.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic
    Probably would depend on what someone considered happiness to be.

Personally I find comfort in post-structuralist theories that kind of veer towards entropy or lack of ideology. Anything that refutes ideological truth and breaks down things like "wrong" and "right" make me happy.

I'd like to take utilitarianism to heart possibly...but as a Fi user I find that impossible. I don't think there is anything like ideological truth out there to be found.....hence the topic. We are what we think, and I wanna think something useful for a change.

Redbone: I find that quite impossible. No expectation, means no visualization...I can't reality what I want it to be....and I'm a slave to reality. Talk about tragic existence....

I think you are asking what/who my belief that 'happiness is a choice' is based on? If so, then Yahweh God. He said 'in whatever state you find yourself in, be content'. Happiness is not something you pursue (though many do to no avail) - you can't buy it, you can't meditate or think your way to it, it is simply a choice.
    I can see happiness defined as a choice, but you don't think you can't mediate or think your way to it? A choice requires thinking or meditation. Specially if you want permanent effects or for it to be easier to constantly make the choice to be happy.