User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default Philosophy and happiness

    What is, in your opinion, the philosophy that is more conductive of happiness?*

    Bonus question : can an ascetic approach to life lead to happiness?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Why didn't this thread appear on new posts when I've created it? And how come there are never any responses when I post in this subforum.

    I know I'm not as charming as SolitaryWalker people, but c'mon.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Philosophy is play doh for my brain. Happiness is a choice. It isn't always easy to make that choice though.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Philosophy is play doh for my brain. Happiness is a choice. It isn't always easy to make that choice though.
    I don't understand. Philosophy is play doh? As something that effectively molds your brain and the way you carry your life, or simply as a curious pastime?

    Happiness is a choice. And philosophy is also about choice. I'm not talking about discussing philosophy...but about living philosophy.

    Like Diogenes of Sinope or some other loser/hero (person).

  5. #5
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I don't understand. Philosophy is play doh? As something that effectively molds your brain and the way you carry your life, or simply as a curious pastime?

    Happiness is a choice. And philosophy is also about choice. I'm not talking about discussing philosophy...but about living philosophy.

    Like Diogenes of Sinope or some other loser/hero (person).
    Philosophy is just the love and pursuit of 'wisdom' and 'knowledge' - which to me is play doh for the mind. Philosophy is something to play with until you decide what you believe, which becomes your "worldview".
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Philosophy is just the love and pursuit of 'wisdom' and 'knowledge' - which to me is play doh for the mind. Philosophy is something to play with until you decide what you believe, which becomes your "worldview".
    Exactly, and deciding what you believe is your worldview is important....what is then, in your opinion, best belief to be happy?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Probably would depend on what someone considered happiness to be.

    Personally I find comfort in post-structuralist theories that kind of veer towards entropy or lack of ideology. Anything that refutes ideological truth and breaks down things like "wrong" and "right" make me happy.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

  8. #8
    As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,879

    Default

    Did anyone see or remember the PBS special on Philosophy? I can't remember the name of the series or the man's name (he was British) that did it but he delved into this. I don't remember all of them (watching it at 3 a.m.) but I did like the one dealing with anger/disappointment. He basically said that anger happens when you want expect--and most of the time, unreasonably so--something and it doesn't happen. Cure for that? Stop having expectations; you know shit happens. If it's not; then the pipe is temporarily clogged. He may not have put it like that but that was the basic gist of his message gleaned from...oh, damn, a senator's writings (?) during Nero's time.

    He had another one dealing with love, the "good" life, and a few other things.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Exactly, and deciding what you believe is your worldview is important....what is then, in your opinion, best belief to be happy?
    I think you are asking what/who my belief that 'happiness is a choice' is based on? If so, then Yahweh God. He said 'in whatever state you find yourself in, be content'. Happiness is not something you pursue (though many do to no avail) - you can't buy it, you can't meditate or think your way to it, it is simply a choice.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic
    Probably would depend on what someone considered happiness to be.

    Personally I find comfort in post-structuralist theories that kind of veer towards entropy or lack of ideology. Anything that refutes ideological truth and breaks down things like "wrong" and "right" make me happy.

    I'd like to take utilitarianism to heart possibly...but as a Fi user I find that impossible. I don't think there is anything like ideological truth out there to be found.....hence the topic. We are what we think, and I wanna think something useful for a change.

    Redbone: I find that quite impossible. No expectation, means no visualization...I can't reality what I want it to be....and I'm a slave to reality. Talk about tragic existence....


    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    I think you are asking what/who my belief that 'happiness is a choice' is based on? If so, then Yahweh God. He said 'in whatever state you find yourself in, be content'. Happiness is not something you pursue (though many do to no avail) - you can't buy it, you can't meditate or think your way to it, it is simply a choice.
    I can see happiness defined as a choice, but you don't think you can't mediate or think your way to it? A choice requires thinking or meditation. Specially if you want permanent effects or for it to be easier to constantly make the choice to be happy.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Philosophy and type
    By Lotr246 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 10-08-2012, 02:07 PM
  2. Alone and happy: Introduction of an INTP
    By Life_on_holidae in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
  3. Simple ways to joy and happiness
    By Maverick in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 07-11-2007, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO