• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cults

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think one of the most basic requirements for defining an organization as a cult should be that it has a detrimental effect on your life. I'm not sure if all the organizations mentioned in this thread qualify on this most fundamental of criterion.

S

Sniffles

Well technically cult means a small religious group. The negative image attached to the word or groups that fall under that category is a more recent development, especially in wake of the mass suicide incident at Jonestown.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well technically cult means a small religious group. The negative image attached to the word or groups that fall under that category is a more recent development, especially in wake of the mass suicide incident at Jonestown.

Or to religions like Scientology.

G

Ginkgo

One of my ex-boyfriends when I was younger had a brother who converted to the Mormon church, and when Mormon brother married his wife, his family wasn't even invited to the "real" wedding because they weren't Mormons. I also found out that they wear sacred long johns and pray for their dead and non-Mormon relatives to someday have a planet of their own.

I also once made the mistake of allowing Mormons to tell me about their religion one time when I was living in Vegas, and the two guys practically stalked me afterward trying to get me to come to their church: calling repeatedly, even randomly showing up at my apartment.

I think Mormonism is a cult, srsly.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZ1jVO3-OE"]WEEE[/YOUTUBE]

ps- celestial sex

S

Sniffles

Or to religions like Scientology.

Yes them too, also can't forget David Koresh and the Branch Davidians. Or even Heavens' Gate.

However as many sociologists note, these negative images that drive the popular imagination are a little misleading; since there's plenty of "cults" that operate very benignly. Hence why the term "New Religious Movement" is commonly used to distinguish these groups from their more destructive counterparts.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I think one of the most basic requirements for defining an organization as a cult should be that it has a detrimental effect on your life. I'm not sure if all the organizations mentioned in this thread qualify on this most fundamental of criterion.
Living in oppression and exclusivism are the main criteria I would look at.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Living in oppression, exclusivism and the idea that their small, narrow minded group is the only way to heaven are the main criteria I would use to make an assessment..

It's only oppression if it's against your will...one man's oppression is another man's discipline. And while I'm sure that exclusivism or the belief that your group has all the answers are irritating to others, I'm not sure how it's detrimental to the members of the group.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think an individual necessarily has to recognize he's being oppressed for it to be so. If someone has in their mind that their marriage vows are obsolete and their obligation to take care of a child are secondary to their faith (though this indoctrinated person supposedly loves them a lot), because they're following the twisted will of God and the spouse/child aren't, then that would clearly be deemed as oppression. It would be against one's natural will, but one's natural will is voluntarily sacrificed in obedience to God and so the security in being obedient to God overrides the agony of betraying your family. In my eyes, the individual is explicitly being oppressed.

G

Ginkgo

WTF Why did Peguy get moderated? If his video is taken down, mine should be too.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm sorry to hear it Beat. This sort of thing always makes my head spin...

I feared for a while that my sister would be sucked into something like this, her position in life always making her feel rather alone and out of touch with the rest of us.

G

Ginkgo

I deleted it Mystic.

Oh, I nearly sperged. :laugh:

I think you're right about the misconception most people have about cults. Usually, the image associated with cult like behavior is more like "occult" behavior, involving secretive rituals and hidden knowledge. Imagine hooded druids chanting around stone hedge with glowing glyphs edged into the ground, and only those with the appropriate gesticulation are permitted in the circle. Hence Victor's belief that MBTI is a cult- because it requires a certain knowledge about typology before you can be readily understood. However, by that same logic, any other formal study of anything could be considered a cult; but already we're working with a misnomer.

This reminds me of an event that took place many years ago. At the time, I was attending a non-denominational church that was extremely conservative; though for the sake of accommodating all of its members, it wasn't always outrightly so. I could sense that somewhere within the heart of the institution, namely within some of the elders, there was a kind of ardent, scowling darkness that was not unlike Fred Phelps and the Westborough Baptist Church.

One night, I decided to invite one of my friends (ENTP) to church, for both religious and social reasons. He was already attending a more mainstream non-denominational church that was more liberal in its approach; so as you can imagine there was a kind of culture clash. It was the first time I could see my own religion from an outsider's perspective; and from that vantage point it did seem like a cult. The epitome of this mentality flickered around the time we took communion, during a drawn out prayer beforehand. My friend snickered "Is this a cult?", as the church referred to Eucharist as a remembrance of blood and sanctity. I was embarrassed, and I attempted to shroud my feelings - I felt somewhat responsible for my friend's behavior that night because it reflected on me and my family.

Fast-forward about 5 years, after much deliberate spiritual contemplation, and deviation from religion itself.

The same friend was picking me up to attend the next showing of Avatar. Before we headed off, he fumbled around in my disheveled room. In the corner there were a few books by G.K. Chesterton, a book on Christian Mysticism and a few others by non-denominational authors. I'm sure he glanced at them momentarily, assessing the situation. I think he's always thought of me as an elated and somewhat immature person with spiritual inclinations, so it probably didn't surprise him; but the notice went unspoken.

After seeing the movie, we sputtered down the road, talking about the significance of Avatar. No doubt, it was full of environmental overtones, but it also had an anti-imperialistic message. I noted that environmentalism had some roots in paganism, but it also had roots in Christianity, seeing as Christianity tends to preach that man has a certain dominion over the rest of nature. Taken the right way, that could be a message of responsibility, while more Eastern Religions give a message of harmony. This devolved into a discussion about 2012, zombies, and the Apocalypse.

Right before I exited his truck, he noted that we were safeguarded against the fires of hell because we were saved by Christ. Somehow I knew his comment was compelled because he had been baptized recently in a separate sect from where he attended previously, and also because his Fe responded to the books that he observed in my room. My gut writhed in the injustice of what he said. I really didn't want to believe it as a literal concept - that we would be whisked away in a Rapture while others would be left to rot. And once again, I felt a similar kind of responsibility that I felt back when we were taking communion. He gave me a high-five, which I reciprocated only limply.

I understand that not all people feel the same intrinsic force that tells me that this concept of literal damnation is wrong, and no amount of rigorous learning will tell me otherwise. Ironically, some might find a similar intrinsic feeling that insists on them being correct and me being deluded. So it becomes a process of understanding that demands the ability to shift perspectives and appreciate different beliefs for what they are worth and how they can serve their own purposes. Very very difficult.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The closest I ever came to a cult was when some Jehovah's Witnesses came up to my door when I was watching the Kermit the Frog cover of the Johnny Cash cover of the NIN song "Hurt." I had the windows open and was watching it on the TV and it was visible through the window as they walked up. I think the Kermit/Rolph oral sex disturbed them because they didn't hang around long.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Wow... Godwin's in only 5 posts and in reference not only to this site but to MBTI in general. Impressive.

G

Ginkgo

The closest I ever came to a cult was when some Jehovah's Witnesses came up to my door when I was watching the Kermit the Frog cover of the Johnny Cash cover of the NIN song "Hurt." I had the windows open and was watching it on the TV and it was visible through the window as they walked up. I think the Kermit/Rolph oral sex disturbed them because they didn't hang around long.

You're a hopeless heathen. :laugh:

gromit

likes this
One of my ex-boyfriends when I was younger had a brother who converted to the Mormon church, and when Mormon brother married his wife, his family wasn't even invited to the "real" wedding because they weren't Mormons. I also found out that they wear sacred long johns and pray for their dead and non-Mormon relatives to someday have a planet of their own.

I also once made the mistake of allowing Mormons to tell me about their religion one time when I was living in Vegas, and the two guys practically stalked me afterward trying to get me to come to their church: calling repeatedly, even randomly showing up at my apartment.

I think Mormonism is a cult, srsly.

Hey marm... I have thought a lot about this post actually. As someone who was raised at least partially within the Mormon faith, I can agree with you that there are many intense people who take the religion waaaaay too seriously/literally, people who sincerely believe that they have the full truth, that it is their duty to help make everybody Mormon, etc. etc. There's a lot within the faith that bothers me, like the behavior of church leaders/members in relation to the gay rights movement, for example (not trying to derail the thread, just giving an example).

That said, I do not think it is a cult. There are many reasonable, intelligent, thoughtful people within the religion, and some of the kindest, most thoughtful people I know I met through my involvement in the LDS church. Even though I am unsure of my relationship to the religion at this point in my life and there's a lot that makes me frustrated with it, I cannot deny my own experiences with the kind, loving people I know from my late childhood. Unfortunately, nothing is very cut and dry like that. Most things contain elements of black AND white... I suspect that is what gives richness to life.

I won't go into describing the actuality of the practices you refer to as wearing 'sacred long johns' and praying 'for their dead and non-Mormon relatives to someday have a planet of their own' unless you're actually interested.

gromit

likes this
And unfortunately, it is typically the crazies who tend to be the most vocal about things... :rolli:

G

Ginkgo

And unfortunately, it is typically the crazies who tend to be the most vocal about things... :rolli:

Ah, a zealot is someone who holds a secret doubt. No matter how glazed over or brainwashed their face looks, you know there's a rational seed somewhere in there that could flourish.