• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kolakowski lecture

Lark

http://www.tannerlectures.utah.edu/lectures/documents/kolakowski83.pdf

What's views and opinions on this? If you can put up with some of Kolakowski's writing habits that is (I skipped some of the philosophical utopian discussion before the social utopias, I think he labours a point, repeats it only to start over on it again) I think its an interesting essay.

I would support his central point that we live between pure utopianism and pure skepticism but I think despite the title of the essay he argues most strongly against utopianism, particularly the ideas of fraternity and equality.

There are some points I woud take exception to, I think he underestimates, as most authors with the conservative tendency do, the informal society and fraternity that exists while they attack the formal or institutionalisation of the same, underestimates the extent to which universal sentiments can reign where no injury or insult is given, and his points against egalitarianism are, typically, vastly over stated.

I think those things by extrapolating from my own experience, perception and thinking, not that I would suggest its a basis for what everyone feels or thinks but that since its not in keeping with his thesis it, equally, cant be universally valid either.