User Tag List

12 Last

Default Does social typology enlighten or obscure?

Obviously it does both, but which does it do more? If you look at a social situation using typology and you look at a social situation without it, in which case do you usually gain more understanding of the situation and its dynamics?

Does knowing a person's type assist you in any way? Or does it often create preconceptions which catch you out later? Does it stop you looking deeper and seeing the individual or seeing yourself?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTP

Social typology is a tool. It can enlighten or obscure, depending on how it is used.

If you treat people solely as products of their types, then it will probably obscure.

On the other hand, if it is used as a guide to behavior, but by no means an absolute, then it can assist understanding.

I don't think it does either one inherently.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Lucas is correct. Typology is a tool, and like all tools, is not right for every job, and must be used correctly to obtain optimal results.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

For myself, it has helped. I have been able to reach an understanding of what drives the behavior of other people and try to appreciate that it takes all types to run a railroad (well...sorta )

I can see that it may be a hindrance for some, "Hey, you can't do ________ because you're type _____________."

It should be taken as it is, a rough--sometimes very rough--blueprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    On the other hand, if it is used as a guide to behavior, but by no means an absolute, then it can assist understanding.
    This is the one I'm interested in. Elaborate .
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

People who use MBTI to oversimplify people and make prejudicial observations probably have a tendency to do this any way. Having lived in a couple dozen places in my life, I encountered people at times to were self-described as intuitive (not in MBTI terminology), who had understanding of the dynamics of their small-town environment. I think they might have been good at predicting behaviors from within the town and with known individuals. When they applied that "intuition" outwardly, they tended to be quite mixed up and wrong in their assumptions.

Because MBTI proposes universal application, it can by its nature cause confusions when the small world-view of assumptions is overlaid onto it. In many cases we see a variety of projections of those smaller-set assumptions into this larger system and as a result the meaning of each category breaks down and becomes a bit incoherent. That is because each system being overlaid onto it is quite different in its assumptions. I think you have to be especially open-minded and able to let go of your own experiences as a references point in order to work with a system that is supposed to be universally applicable.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTP

^
    That's basically what I mean.

Social typology can enlighten when it is used as a rough guide to behavior, so long as it is acknowledged that people can an often do act outside of type, and in particular that one action does not represent temperament as a whole.

For me, typology is useful in understanding different paradigms; before discovering it, I had a very hard time believing that there were people who did not think in what I now know to be an INT manner.

In showing different thought processes, it typology gives me a sketch of others motivations and methods of interpretation which can help in predicting (roughly) how others will act or interpret actions.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Social typology is a tool.
    MBTI is a confidence trick.

MBTI serves power.

And just when we need to learn to speak truth to power, MBTI betrays us.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Both, depending on how much yeu emphasize it.

If yeu put iron faith in it as being absolutely accurate to all individuals without deviation, then yeah, yeu're going to have major problems. People will invariably drift outside its' boundries, do the opposite of whot it claims they should, and so on. Obviously, we're not just 16 clones with no differences past that point. Cultural differences, gender issues, various neurological disorders, etc, etc, can all affect a person's overall behaviour.

As such, if yeu use it as a LOOSE GUIDE, and just as a vague generalization, a base to work from in understanding why people do whot they do... just a starting point, rather than the whole person, then yes, it can help considerably. I get along with my BF much better due to understanding how he thinks a little better; there's differences from how MBTI describes his type, as there is in everyone, but it gives a good enough basic understanding that it's easier to accept and comprehend why he does some of the things he does, which would otherwise just be "well I wouldn't've done that... I don't get it". Instead, I can look at it and go "Oh, well he thinks in this manner, so I suppose it makes sense that he would come to that conclusion, even if I came to a different one". Understanding, allows for far more tolerance to things that are different to us.

There are those who would abuse such, like those who refuse to associate AT ALL with people of a certain type, or employers who only hire certain types because they prefer them. These practices are silly, and completely negate human individuality.

Don't put much faith in victor's rantings; he tends to assume everyone will abuse it and take it as 100% face value and strictly absolute fact.

If yeu use it as a loose guide/starting point for understanding, as it should be, rather than a strictly enforced set of laws with no deviation, it can be quite beneficial. Just don't run off the end of the world with it is all, or it'll be more hazardous than were yeu to not have used it at all.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Don't put much faith in victor's rantings; he tends to assume everyone will abuse it and take it as 100% face value and strictly absolute fact.
    Placebos are surprisingly powerful, but if you question them they lose their power.

And it is the loss of power that hurts.

And in their hurt, they lash out with ad hominem attacks.