User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default A Quick Question

What do you imagine would happen if murder was legalized? Have we advanced to the point where such serious infractions are hard-coded into our systems as facts and behaviors so common that it would be redundant to put to words that they're morally objectionable? How many people are held back only by the law?
    "Quiiri ath metahn i'ashei?"
    Chronically Gephyrophobic

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Iriohm Bladewalker View Post
    What do you imagine would happen if murder was legalized? Have we advanced to the point where such serious infractions are hard-coded into our systems as facts and behaviors so common that it would be redundant to put to words that they're morally objectionable?
    Some have, some haven't. Since I happen to be idealistically inclined on most occasions, I would like to believe that most people would be able to "restrain" themselves if murder was legalized. Having respect for life no matter what.

However, you can never protect yourself from somebody who is either so raged to think clearly or dead set to kill you, be it legalized or not.

How many people are held back only by the law?
    Possibly too many, and at the same time, probably not enough.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Laws serve the point of protecting those with self-control/discipline from those without. They also protect the powerless from the powerful... and in some cases even protect the minority against the majority.

Otherwise even a few rogue citizens could do a lot of damage... although I bet society would self-regulate ... all the "safe citizens" would congregate and remove the destructive influences, by killing/imprisoning them. Same result, except the bad seeds got to do some damage before being removed. It might not seem like a big deal until it's your son or daughter that gets to be one of the sacrificial lambs while the violent run free. Codified law expediates the process.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

What do you imagine would happen if murder was legalized? Have we advanced to the point where such serious infractions are hard-coded into our systems as facts and behaviors so common that it would be redundant to put to words that they're morally objectionable? How many people are held back only by the law?
    You'd have an uptick in murders as you'd have sociopaths and others who deviate for societal norms killing people and the people who would feel it necessary to take the law into their own hands.

A majority would carry on as normal though, because the golden rule is sort of ingrained into our social behavior.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    However, you can never protect yourself from somebody who is either so raged to think clearly or dead set to kill you, be it legalized or not.
    Exactly. If someone is driven to murder, the fact that it's illegal probably isn't on their mind.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Exactly. If someone is driven to murder, the fact that it's illegal probably isn't on their mind.
    Perhaps. But designating it as a crime makes it eligible for societal (i.e. government) sanction, such that it is not left to the victim's friends and family to arrange punishment, retribution, or removal of the murderer from society so he/she cannot kill again.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Perhaps. But designating it as a crime makes it eligible for societal (i.e. government) sanction, such that it is not left to the victim's friends and family to arrange punishment, retribution, or removal of the murderer from society so he/she cannot kill again.
    Well, when it comes to arranging punishment, nobody really wants to get their hands dirty, do they? The government sanction makes it a "it's none of my business, the government will take care of that" thing but at the same time you alienate yourself from responsibility.

Why shouldn't you take responsibility? Not only for your own actions, but for the wellbeing for the whole community. Some do, but aren't most people merely satisfied if they and their families are relatively "happy", who really cares about others? It's the community spirit, so to speak, close ties that are lacking. Exactly the fact that there is this elected "higher power of authority" to do the dirty work when lines have been crossed. Maybe if there was a way to prevent crossing that line altogether...*reality check*...too many variables in the system for it to work properly, the "human" factor tends to mess things up, in a negative way.

The laws are probably hindering the "advancement" mentioned in the OP, making things too "safe". Or something.

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Well, when it comes to arranging punishment, nobody really wants to get their hands dirty, do they? The government sanction makes it a "it's none of my business, the government will take care of that" thing but at the same time you alienate yourself from responsibility.

Why shouldn't you take responsibility? Not only for your own actions, but for the wellbeing for the whole community. Some do, but aren't most people merely satisfied if they and their families are relatively "happy", who really cares about others? It's the community spirit, so to speak, close ties that are lacking. Exactly the fact that there is this elected "higher power of authority" to do the dirty work when lines have been crossed. Maybe if there was a way to prevent crossing that line altogether...*reality check*...too many variables in the system for it to work properly, the "human" factor tends to mess things up, in a negative way.

The laws are probably hindering the "advancement" mentioned in the OP, making things too "safe". Or something.
    Read this.

MBTI
    INKP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    *sighs*

There is that. Still, imagine a world in which it was redundant to make murder illegal because it simply didn't happen. We're probably a long way from that, but it's a nice thought anyways.

Probably not that many. Despite what people think it really isn't that hard to devise a plan and kill someone without anyone figuring out you're linked to it. It only becomes a problem if you have something to gain from it that police can determine and see you as a possible suspect. Of course, not that I like the idea of murder or have ever done it, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but it's a crazy world and some people are real good at making others so miserable no one would really mind if they were gone. Kind of like in Dexter.

Murder will never go away and it's not always a result of a person trying to be 'destructive to society', sometimes it is deemed the most necessary solution. One example is in a survival setting where it is important that everyone do their part to help and not argue or fight. If someone is creating too much trouble, one of the leaders might want to make it a point that doing that will kill them all and kill the one who is just making everything worse. Actually that tends to be the plot of those survival dramas.