123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Lightbulb As humans we are never satisfied

It's a rather common statement we hear - but I wouldn't know to what lengths. How about we determine the reality from the small talk, and shed some light on how true it is. Why are we (as, humans) never really satisfied with what we have?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I find the statement a bit narrowminded. It's one of those statements that will feel true for many situations for everyone, but there is really no wisdom in it at all.

It depends on perspective. I'm satisfied with the ability to push boundaries. I'm satisfied with having an apparant free and unique will, making me capable of defining meaning to my life. In fact, when I look at my life as a whole. I am a very satisfied person.

The times I am not satisfied is always about certain instances/situations that are only a small part of the whole. And despite not being satisfied about that one thing, I will be satisfied with the fact that I have the ability to do something about it. Which ultimately makes me a satisfied being.

So really, it's all about perspective.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I am unsatisfied with this topic.

We're probably unsatisfied because we live in a consumer based society where we have to buy shit constantly and work 9 to 5 to buy more shit because LOOK NEW SHIT GO BUY IT GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!

I firmly believe satisfaction was an invention of imperialists to get people to think that they're unsatisfied with life.

I know I would be able to reach satisfaction a lot easier if I didn't need wealth and capital. I could just go chill out and make art and be groovy instead.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I am unsatisfied with this topic.

We're probably unsatisfied because we live in a consumer based society where we have to buy shit constantly and work 9 to 5 to buy more shit because LOOK NEW SHIT GO BUY IT GO BUY IT RIGHT NOW!

I firmly believe satisfaction was an invention of imperialists to get people to think that they're unsatisfied with life.

I know I would be able to reach satisfaction a lot easier if I didn't need wealth and capital. I could just go chill out and make art and be groovy instead.
    In stone age times it was the same though. MY STICK IS BIGGER THAN YOUR STICK!
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

^^ [to: pixelh] I was actually looking at it in a more universal context - whereby it's stated in religion, too, on how we (as, mortals) are just never satisfied, which in-turn raises that question.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    ^^ I was actually looking at it in a more universal context - whereby it's stated in religion, too, on how we (as, mortals) are just never satisfied, which in-turn raises that question.
    Well then it's used more as a way to keep people who are getting shafted by the system happy and complacent because then they don't think about how shitty they have it and instead focus on the reward in the afterlife.

Yes but they had FREE TIME. You know what Hawaiian natives did before they were conquered? Nothing, they lounged around on the beaches all day and ate fruit and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Epicurus must've been a hardcore imperialist, then.

There is a difference between a person 'satisfied' with his life in general (content would be more appropriate) and the idea of satisfying all needs without giving birth to other needs. There is a correlation between the feeling of relative fulfillment and 'inner peace', but it isn't a necessity. I consider the former to be very rare - especially in our cultural circle in this age, where expanding and possessing means more than anything else, and I think that's what Pixelholic meant - and the latter to be impossible.

As for myself, I'm not satisfied with life, and most propably never will be; but realizing and accepting this is my consolation price, you could call that some kind of satisfaction, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Sticks are weapons, and I use it to kill you if you steal my food. It has practical value, it's a direct tool.
    Your new iPod is not used for anything. It's not a music device, it is a status symbol and a means of manipulation, it's a simulacrum. We're buying shit and selling shit, and the meaning is gradually lost. It's not the same at all.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Epicurus must've been a hardcore imperialist, then.

There is a difference between a person 'satisfied' with his life in general (content would be more appropriate) and the idea of satisfying all needs without giving birth to other needs. There is a correlation between the feeling of relative fulfillment and 'inner peace', but it isn't a necessity. I consider the former to be very rare - especially in our cultural circle in this age, where expanding and possessing means more than anything else, and I think that's what Pixelholic meant - and the latter to be impossible.

As for myself, I'm not satisfied with life, and most propably never will be; but realizing and accepting this is my consolation price, you could call that some kind of satisfaction, I guess.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. I was being kinda facetious too. I just happened to read this thread right after a friend was tryign to tell me about how amazing the iPhone 4 is.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Well, I'm satisfied know that I will never be completely 'done' with life until I'm dead. I like having something to look forward to, even if I know I most probably won't get to it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I love what material possessions I have, and what I do with it.

My whole life has been devoted to balancing form and function.
    I buy good (mostly superior quality) items and don't have to re-buy them again.

My need for more material items is only spurned by the acute manifestation of a hobby/project/interest that is somehow linked to my self actualization at a given time.

I could not care less for common materialism, but I will not compromise on quality when it comes to buying the tools I need to make the dreams of my life come to fruition as I desire them to...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro