User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Default How Do You "Prove" an Abstract Concept?

I recently had a discussion with my father about how things such as apologies, forgiveness, love, and other abstract concepts are "proven". For instance, one couple might have a verbal exchange of "I love you", and "I love you", and find essential meaning within this exchange. There is an interpersonal transaction that is found therein. However, for others, the proof is in the pudding. To them you are not "sorry" unless you have proven your regret by their means. It should be noted that a concrete proof never actually satiates an abstract notion in my opinion, it only satiates a personal desire. Of course, there's another route: finding consistency within the abstract concept.

How do you, as an individual, reconcile things of this nature?

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I don't. I just spend forever mulling over them.

It is impossible to prove such thing. They require a leap of faith to believe is - that is why they are called abstract concepts, and not concrete ones.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Yeah, it sounds unnecessary. If abstract things need proof, it's obviously abstract (intangible) proof. You can set A = 1, but you can also set A = 6. It doesn't really follow to compare apples and oranges.

And of course that's a silly argument, because there is nothing that is totally abstract. And for some people, the sufficient level of concrete proof of "sorry" is simply the tone of the word. For others, the accompanying gestures and facial expressions. Gifts. Length of sentiment. Restitution, etc.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I recently had a discussion with my father about how things such as apologies, forgiveness, love, and other abstract concepts are "proven". For instance, one couple might have a verbal exchange of "I love you", and "I love you", and find essential meaning within this exchange. There is an interpersonal transaction that is found therein. However, for others, the proof is in the pudding. To them you are not "sorry" unless you have proven your regret by their means. It should be noted that a concrete proof never actually satiates an abstract notion in my opinion, it only satiates a personal desire. Of course, there's another route: finding consistency within the abstract concept.

This is a really difficult concept to assess - saying that you are sorry or that you love someone can be just trite statements that have no depth. They are often merely expected politenesses, or may be used as leverage/collateral to achieve a given end even if there is no true intent. The abstraction lay in how the recipient of such a statement KNOWS whether the statement is true. Indeed is the verbal statement even necessary if the recipient KNOWS that the abstract exists - although it is nice to be told that someone loves you?
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Fe, probably. I assess what others need in order to believe in a concept and how far i am willing to go to meet that need. This isn't feigned either. If i can't meet their need genuinely, then there is no point in making the attempt.
    I also assess their believability. Commonly, i'm tuned into another person's sincerity and the only time i find fault in the assessment is if i'm compromised by my own thoughts and feelings. (This could actually become an elsewhere topic)

Everyone's proof and proof requirements do tend to vary. The things that should be kept in mind are how genuine the proof is and how reasonable the requirements are. Given this also varies due to the individual, but starting with that awareness will leave even less room for gaps in understanding.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

It seems to me the conversation with your father was a kind of specialized case of the 'problem of other minds'... There is nothing here that calls into question the cogency of anything abstract, just whether or not a person can truly ever be satisfied that some expected sentiment is being authentically experienced in another person's psyche.

Well, we do know for certain that at least some people are sociopaths (supposedly they learn to act normal), and worst case scenario, this is all the matrix. Otherwise if your totally clueless in the commonsense department you could read a law textbook on evidence to learn how to infer 'proof' from sets of facts, or in this case, how to read behaviour, but obviously, its not a perfect science...

"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd." Voltaire

By the way, what do you mean by "finding consistency in the abstract concept"?
    Escape powerful genjitsu by averting your gaze from the eyes.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

In relation to God I've begun to dread anyone finding proof, it could just mean that the whole of existence blinks out.

In most cases, it's probably best to not worry about trying to prove anything. It all depends on what your profession may be too, or if something really important is counting on it (and if that's the case, just speak with passion..that's all you have when it comes down to it), but in daily life, you're better off embodying the ideas and concepts important to you first.. you might help others see their worth that way.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I just got this vision of a scientist in a lab some place some how comprehending God perfectly and then spontaneously combusting or something like that or worse, evidencing it to their peers with a big equation and being like "Hence, it is clear... PFFT!!! Not even time for an "Oh Shit!"

MBTI
    INTx

An emotionally abstract concept is proven when both parties agree it's been proven.

Really, the approval of the other party is the only thing that matters. You're not trying to prove something definative with a single answer, like the water is a certain temprature or the sky is blue, you're trying to meet some qualification set by the other.