User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Non-Christians: parts of the Bible that still resonate with you

It's still a profound cultural influence, and there's still universal truths hidden within it, even if "the" universal "truth" it espouses doesn't quite make it there.

1 Corinthians 13 is one of those passages for me. Not sure much encapsulates what it means to be human as do those few sentences on the meaning of love.

Your thoughts?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's still a profound cultural influence, and there's still universal truths hidden within it, even if "the" universal "truth" it espouses doesn't quite make it there.

1 Corinthians 13 is one of those passages for me. Not sure much encapsulates what it means to be human as do those few sentences on the meaning of love.

Your thoughts?
    I quite like Matthew 18:21-22. Brief and somehow rather profound. 1 Corinthians 13 was always a little too saccharine for my tastes.

MBTI
    XXFP

I'm familiar with the Sermon on the Mount.

I don't really know if it's as simple as good trees bearing good fruit and bad trees bearing bad fruit.

There's a lot of grey zone in there.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I was always a fan of Revelations imagery.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I quite like Matthew 18:21-22. Brief and somehow rather profound. 1 Corinthians 13 was always a little too saccharine for my tastes.
    It's a good one, especially when you get the contemporary cultural context.

I like 1 Corinthians 13 because if you strip it of its modern cultural context (i.e. that people always read it at their weddings though it doesn't really jive with the setting), you find a profound message of humanity.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Same here. I enjoy the mythic parts of the bible. Most of the laws and guidelines are barbaric and the good ones are just common sense stuff found in any society.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I still remember my Hal Lindsey "There's a New World Comin'!" comic book based on it. Cheesy as hell.

(It's [The] Revelation [of John], btw.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Revelations 17 is a classic.

"The beast and the ten horns you saw will hate the prostitute. They will bring her to ruin and leave her naked; they will eat her flesh and burn her with fire."

Yes, fantastic imagery, but hardly a repository of wisdom.

"Neurotic, ha!"
    I let out a scornful laugh.
    "If neurotic is wanting two mutually exclusive things at one and the same time, then I'm neurotic as hell.
    I'll be flying back and forth between one mutually exclusive thing and another for the rest of my days.
    "

— Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Qohelet (קהלת), the wisest of the Ketuvim.

As Nietzche said, in comparison the New Testament has been written by a very poor novelist, with limited skill, limited imagination, and limited perspectives.

I really pity Christians.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Smile Submit

Poets create religion; prophets abuse religion; and priests do it to death.

And there has never been a civilization not based on a religion. And the West is based on Christianity.

So to understand the West, never mind Western poetry, we need to understand Christianity.

And the first thing to understand is that we learn our Christianity at our mother's knee.

We learn our Christianity when we are susceptible to the emotion and images in the arms of our mother.

Christianity imprints itself upon us as children and no amount of subsequent reasoning makes any difference.

After all it is our mother right or wrong. We only get one mother and no one ever loves us like our mother. And so with Holy Mother Church.

And it takes a religion to beat a religion. And I noticed in Oz in the 40s and 50s so many ex-catholics became marxists.

And today we see that it is Islam that is beating Christianity. We see churches being turned into mosques. We see that the Common Law based on Christianity is being slowly overtaken by Sharia Law. We see that the Christian separation of Church and State is being overtaken by the unity of the Mosque and State. We see that Christian equality under the Common Law being overtaken by inequality under Sharia Law for Jews and dhimmi, infidels and women. We see freedom of speech being replaced by hate speech towards Jews and dhimmi and infidels and women. We see Christian monogamy being overtaken by Sharia polygamy. We see women stoned to death and child brides.

We see turn the other cheek being replaced by Jihad and martyrdom.

The Old and New Testaments resonate like a bell through our literature, art and music; through our Law and Government; through science and our most private and public moments.

But the bells in our steeples are being silenced and replaced by a call to submit from the minaret - the bayonet of Islam.