User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 18 of 18

  1. #11
    Senior Member Chris_in_Orbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    What would happen if the oil well blew? Are we prepared for that eventuality? How would it impact the livelihood of the people who live here? Do we have a reserve of money for such an event?
    Maybe we should invest in other technology, since it appears that the one we are currently invested in is harmful to the environment, and will become obsolete, and creates social upheaval, both domestic and abroad.
    What if BP asked those questions instead of going for maximum short-term profit? that is what I'm talking about. IS that not a failing of human nature? Is green/covetousness not a failing when one sees what it untimately can lead to, in this case, natural disaster?
    I disagree with you for the most part. Certainly a business should consider technologies that will make them the most profit in the long run (like ones that would prevent natural disasters that would kill their business.)

    But no, I don't think businesses are responsible for the "social upheaval" you are talking about.

    A business produces a product. People decide if they are going to buy it or not.

    If there is any sort of human failing, it is that people expect businesses to be responsible for themselves and for their customers. Or that they don't educate themselves before feeding money to a fire.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_Orbit View Post
    I agree, a species that doesn't adapt will go extinct.

    People who don't adapt will be left by the curb. That's part of evolution. I don't think humans as a species are in danger. Just the people who can't adapt. Do you expect progress to happen in inches so everyone can keep up?
    In a democracy such as ours (America) the citizens can prevent required actions because they cannot comprehend the dangers that exist. Our whole civilization and perhaps our species are dependent upon a sophisticated population because technology has placed extraordinary power into the hands of ordinary people.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    He's just a social scientist. Pay him no mind.
    Therein is a perfect example of our problem. In a democracy, when the vast majority are unable to think criticallly and to make good judgments, there is little hope that we can survive. Uncritcal humans are either staring blankly into the distance or stampeding.

  4. #14
    Energizer Bunny Resonance's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    Therein is a perfect example of our problem. In a democracy, when the vast majority are unable to think criticallly and to make good judgments, there is little hope that we can survive. Uncritcal humans are either staring blankly into the distance or stampeding.
    I think you're confused about which of us are failing to think critically, here.

    We've come this far with a majority of sheeple; how does 'little hope that we can survive' follow from that?
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

  5. #15
    Senior Member Stevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    Therein is a perfect example of our problem. In a democracy, when the vast majority are unable to think criticallly and to make good judgments, there is little hope that we can survive. Uncritcal humans are either staring blankly into the distance or stampeding.
    That is a valid point, however, I am still curious how this relates back to your apparently meaningless and unnecessary jabs at "Natural Science", which has nothing to do with how most people make judgements and decisions.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    That is a valid point, however, I am still curious how this relates back to your apparently meaningless and unnecessary jabs at "Natural Science", which has nothing to do with how most people make judgements and decisions.
    The fault does not lie within the science but only within the naiveté of the individual who fails to comprehend the limitations of the science and the dimensions of the self and the world.

  7. #17
    Senior Member MoneyTick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    In a democracy such as ours (America) the citizens can prevent required actions because they cannot comprehend the dangers that exist. Our whole civilization and perhaps our species are dependent upon a sophisticated population because technology has placed extraordinary power into the hands of ordinary people.

    THANK YOU!!!!! I thought I was alone here. Because there are two modes of living: the truth, and what you believe.

    Take for example, the healthcare bill.

    The TRUTH is:

    There exists factual data and evidence pointing that the health care bill is an economicaly detrimental sanction, requiring billions of dollars (from your tax tab), and will impede the progression of our exodus from this recession.

    Employers will have do deduct 5-16% of their employees paychecks ON TOP OF ALL THE OTHER TAXES, as an obligation for obamacare. THEN -- THE EMPLOYERS (JUST LIKE FICA/SS TAX) MUST MATCH THAT DEDUCTED AMOUNT AND PAY IT FROM THEIR OWN POCKETS, APART FROM THE ALREADY DEDUCTED EMPLOYEE AMMOUNT. HENCE "DOUBLE TAXATION" - THE EMPLOYEE GETS FREE HEALTH INSURANCE, BUT GETS AN 15% "HEALTH INSURANCE" DEDUCTION JAMMED UP HIS ASS AND THE EMPLOYER GET'S FUCKED FROM BEHIND AS WELL.

    THEN -- EMPLOYERS CAN'T AFFORD THE SOCIALIST PURLOINS SO THEY LAY OFF WORKERS.

    UNEMPLOYMENT GOES UP, THE ECONOMY TAKES A PURGING DIVE, AND THEN LAST BUT NOT LEAST ......

    PEOPLE COMPLAIN! AND WE DON'T KNOW WHY WE'RE HERE? SOMEONE HELP - I THOUGHT IT WAS ALL GOOD

    OOPS!

    OBAMA fulfills the socialist maxim of "GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT, AND THEY WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT"

    ASPECT #2:
    WHAT PEOPLE BELIEVE:

    We love obama now, we love free health insurance. IT'S SWEET CANDY, for THE ADULT/CHILDISH population of this country, THAT BRINGS DISEASE AND CANCER IN THE END.

    We'll spend our saving's on nice goodies today -- lets get free health insurance because the hospitals are too expensive (because of illegal immigrants not paying a dime) --- and tomorrow can worry about tomorrow.

    Tomorrow, starts off with a nice cup of coffee - opening the morning mail with that nice "UNEMPLOYMENT CHECK" and an big red arrow pointing down on the NASDAQ.

    TURNS OUT, what you believe may not always be right.

    Opps

    So if someone says "I disagree with you on the healthcare bill, i want free health insurance"

    I WOULD SAY: "Thank you for being stupid, because the more stupid people we have - the less "intelligent" intellectuals i have to compete with. The less of that, the larger my bank figure grows from the plentifull harvest in sowing, retailing, selling, and convincing, converting, profiting of stupid minds"

    BOTTOMLINE

    "Where a Government Shall Prevail Over Humanity, Humanity Shall Fall Before It...

    Before Us Lies America, unmoving and desolate, Broken In the Name Of Social Welfare"

    Disagree with the facts at your own discretion.

  8. #18
    Senior Member ThinkingAboutIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coberst View Post
    America now has an open society but few Americans have the Critical Thinking skills and intellectual sophistication required to maintain that status. The question becomes: "can a democracy survive in a world where technology is driving change at a very rapid pace?” Darwin informs us that if a species cannot adapt to its changing environment that species will soon become toast.
    Ummm...The United States of America is not a democracy, it is a republic - a federal constitutional republic to be exact - a HUGE difference from a democracy.

    I think it is absurd to call America a 'species' since America is the 'melting pot of the world'.

    I think it is also absurd to ask if America can "survive in a world where technology is driving change at a very rapid pace?" since America is and has been driving that pace for over a century.

    "an authoritarian system can better adapt to a rapidly changing world."

    That made me laugh. Those poor people can't even search freely online yet they are better able to adapt? lol
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Similar Threads

  1. Which field of science holds the most potential in the coming century?
    By yenom in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 11:15 PM
  2. Which field of science holds the most potential in the coming century
    By yenom in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 01:05 PM
  3. Hey, don't worry I'm here now.
    By Kalyrn in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 06:07 AM
  4. Hmmm...what should I put in here?
    By Kiddo in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO