User Tag List

First 456

Yeah, the rapture stuff annoys me. Most "end time" theories were a form of preterism before. It's kind of strange that dispensationalism has picked up like it has, and that many think as if it's the de facto view, when 2000 yrs of church history say otherwise. Even stranger is that preterism is now seen as too academic.. liberal nonsense.. and dispensationalism the conversative view.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm still rather surprised at how many aren't aware of the cultural influence upon their readings on a book written 2000 years ago over a period of 1500 years. There's stuff in the modern readings there that wasn't even part of Christian thought 100 years ago (a broad one -- some of the Rapture theologies) and treated as if it came from the time of Christ.
    I am surprised when people who claim to follow Jesus limit themselves to what is written about him in the Bible, ignoring other early texts like the Gnostic writings. If my spiritual path were centered on Jesus, I would want to learn everything I could about him.

Riva

^ Whatever was written about jesus was written by his followers is it not? And whatever they are, they can't be different from what is in the Bible?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    ^ Whatever was written about jesus was written by his followers is it not? And whatever they are, they can't be different from what is in the Bible?
    Yes, actually, they can. There were a number of groups of "Jesus followers" in the first century BCE, with somewhat different perspectives on his life and significance. Not all of their writings were included in the canonical Bible as we know it. The Gnostic Gospels are just one example of excluded material. They, too, were written by followers of Jesus. These excluded writings do not outright contradict what is in the Bible, but they provide added dimensions, some of which the coalescing early church wanted to de-emphasize or even suppress.

Some good references on this are: Who Wrote the New Testament by Burton Mack, Putting Away Childish Things by Ute Ranke-Heinemann, and The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels.