User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 54

  1. #31
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Not really, the sentence works fine either way. Strunk and White would actually suggest against over using the comma.
    I've no idea who Strunk and White are. I also don't know what it means for a sentence to "work".

    You need a semicolon after "really", by the way. "Against over" is rather strange.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    No its not.
    You're looking for "it's". You guys must be doing this on purpose.

  3. #33
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    You're looking for "it's". You guys must be doing this on purpose.
    When your argument sounds like a 3rd grade teacher checking for grammatical nuances, it's obvious that you are doing this on purpose. It would seem you have nothing to offer to this forum if this is all you intend to do. Perhaps you can have a greater impact on the lives of grade school children.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I could contest your view of the bible but I dont feel it will leave either of us any better off so I wont bother, besides my faith is not based upon the bible anymore than my reading can be defined by the books I read this month, its just a single secondary source to me.

    That definition of faith depends upon the idea that faith and reason are anathema to one another, a mistaken view, what about faith within reason? I would suggest that what you define as faith is in fact not faith but "lady luck" or "chance", whatever the empiricism you have to trust the empirical evidence, trust is faith. Empiricism is independent from self-experience in the example you give.
    I just get riled up when someone says something about the bible when the bible says otherwise. It's a pet peeve. I actually commend you if your sense of faith does not require the bible. It is a horrid book and there are much better spiritual writings out there.

    The thing about comparing faith to luck. It's not rational to rely on luck. This is how casinos make so much money after all. Empiricism would be more akin to probability or statistics wherein something has X percent chance of happening therefore the it is reasonable to assume Y.

    I've no idea who Strunk and White are.
    They wrote this.

  5. #35
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default

    I believe...

    It's better to live your life believing there is a God and be wrong, than to live your life not believing and be wrong.

    It's better to die for something than to live for nothing.

    ...Yes, it feels good.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Pixelholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    I believe...

    It's better to live your life believing there is a God and be wrong, than to live your life not believing and be wrong.

    It's better to die for something than to live for nothing.

    ...Yes, it feels good.
    Let me introduce you to Pascal's Wager

  7. #37
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    When your argument sounds like a 3rd grade teacher checking for grammatical nuances, it's obvious that you are doing this on purpose.
    I haven't proffered an argument in this thread, so your statement is confusing. Also, what are you claiming that I'm doing on purpose?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    It would seem you have nothing to offer to this forum if this is all you intend to do. Perhaps you can have a greater impact on the lives of grade school children.
    I don't come here for anyone's benefit but my own, so this is irrelevant.

  8. #38
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Smile Do read every word I write.

    Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    I don't come here for anyone's benefit but my own, so this is irrelevant.
    Surely pedants serve grammar and spelling.

    And surely it is a selfless activity as pedants fail to endear themselves to anyone.

    However they do endear themselves to me, for they read every word I write.

    So dear Helios, do read every word I write and tell me the moment I slip into grammatical or spelling error.

  9. #39
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    yeah... pascal's wager is a horrible defense of the faith.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  10. #40
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Helios thank you so much for taking your time to correct our mistakes. Sweet of you it is.

Similar Threads

  1. "I’m a Presbyterian Minister Who Doesn’t Believe in God"
    By Z Buck McFate in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-08-2016, 12:23 PM
  2. Must U.S. Military Chaplains Believe In God to be Ordained?
    By iwakar in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM
  3. Why I do not believe in God
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
  4. evolutionary cause for believing in god
    By INTP in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-05-2012, 11:14 AM
  5. Is it pointless to believe in God?
    By Virtual ghost in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO