User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Default Past Life Regression

Out of curiosity I tried some past life regression hypnosis that dragged on for 4 hours yesterday.

What did i learn, well that i got sexually abused and saw a family die and got chased out of a tribe and had true love before i died and got prosecuted for knowing too much by the inquisition. ha!

They were intense and confusing, was my mind playing tricks on me. it left an impression on me and i woke up this morning and shrugged.

This kind of sums it up for me

Hypnosis & Past Life Regression - Is it Real?

I personally don’t consider past life regression, where people go back using hypnosis and visit experiences they had in a previous life, to be a real hypnotic phenomenon. I do believe and know that people have experiences in hypnosis that they often think are past lives. They are undoubtedly experiencing something, but I believe that it is the unconscious mind playing out the scenario for them, and not a real ‘regression.’

I have never really had anyone in hypnosis experience being a refuse worker or a sewer worker in their past life. They always seem to be kings and queens or famous people on a mission. Often, upon further questioning, their past life is usually someone that they presently admire or would aspire to be like. For instance, someone who has an experience of being a missionary might have always dreamed of doing that in this life. Whether the past life experience is real or imagined, I believe that this kind of hypnosis therapy can actually be helpful. I know it can certainly help produce a profound positive shift for some people.

If someone came along to me and said “I’ve got this problem and I believe it comes from an experience in my past life,” then I might go down that road with them and help them to explore in hypnosis. It doesn’t matter if I personally believe this to be true, because they do. What’s important is that this is part of their belief system.

There are plenty of stories and books written on past life regressions achieved through hypnosis. People often use facts they learn of during their “regression” to validate and prove their claims. However, I’m still not convinced. I’ve done a lot of work with hypnosis and I’ve had a lot of clients that believe they’ve had past life experiences, but they never seem to give enough facts or information to back it up for me.

Again, in a one-to-one hypnosis session I will guide someone through one of these experiences if I believe it will help them, but I would never consider doing this in a recorded self-hypnosis session.

I know there are others out there who do produce such self-hypnosis sessions and it’s their choice; however, people’s beliefs about past lives can bring up very deep emotional issues and experiences for them and that’s something I believe is best suited for professional guidance.
    I could go into more detail with mine but I don't want to because it was too strange.
    What are your thoughts?
    Has anyone tried past life regression?
    This has some parallels to reincarnation and does it happen?

Who knows with these things, highly subjective i guess.

MBTI
    TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    What are your thoughts?
    Has anyone tried past life regression?
    This has some parallels to reincarnation and does it happen?

Who knows with these things, highly subjective i guess.
    I was involved with regressions for a year or so, and came to a conclusion similar to the ones in the article. I think the Bridey Murphy case can explain away any apparent regression, but may still have value in discovering long forgotten experiences of the current life that can be hidden in the tale of an imaginary past life.

My only significant regression involved being a junior cavalry officer who had joined late in the civil war (inspired by the emancipation proclamation.) Supposedly I survived a couple of minor skirmishes, but was fatally wounded in an ambush.
    At first the regression seemed amazing since I had described the wound being the same spot where I had always disliked being touched. It didn't take much thinking to realize that it was likely that having a sensitive spot in this life became the inspiration of the subconscious imagination to create a tale that could explain the reason for the aversion.

I didn't know enough about the other subject's pasts to explain their regressions, but mine seemed to discredit the validity of the concept. To a believer I probably rode through Tennessee in search of rebel troops. For me it combined a minor mystery of my life with the known part of my childhood that included horses, ranchers, cowboys/girls, and a love of riding.
    Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I studied this sort of thing when I was young and enjoy reading about it, but my biggest complaint was always the thing mentioned in your sidebar:

I have never really had anyone in hypnosis experience being a refuse worker or a sewer worker in their past life. They always seem to be kings and queens or famous people on a mission.
    I'm inclined to see it as not a factual reality but some sort of "play acting" that allows people to work through issues they've been internalizing but cannot articulate. Some people just cannot deal with painful emotions and disappointments directly or might have them deeply buried.

Often, upon further questioning, their past life is usually someone that they presently admire or would aspire to be like. For instance, someone who has an experience of being a missionary might have always dreamed of doing that in this life. Whether the past life experience is real or imagined, I believe that this kind of hypnosis therapy can actually be helpful. I know it can certainly help produce a profound positive shift for some people.
    Yes, regardless of whether the past life is "factual," the process of working through it can still be beneficial. Then again, if people insist on taking it literally, it could mess them up or be an escape/diversion for real psychological healing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

I have to do this and write a book out of it. Thanks!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I studied this sort of thing when I was young and enjoy reading about it, but my biggest complaint was always the thing mentioned in your sidebar:

I'm inclined to see it as not a factual reality but some sort of "play acting" that allows people to work through issues they've been internalizing but cannot articulate. Some people just cannot deal with painful emotions and disappointments directly or might have them deeply buried.

Yes, regardless of whether the past life is "factual," the process of working through it can still be beneficial. Then again, if people insist on taking it literally, it could mess them up or be an escape/diversion for real psychological healing.
    ah yeah, that's a good way of saying it, the subconscious mind is interpreting those core beliefs into a form of regression that would be past tense, however the reality is its more like a subconscious issue that happened in this life time however unnoticed.

its possibly something else but i can't determine what. though i am fascinated by mine since none have happened to me this life time. i mean the sexual abuse unless i correlate it to verbal abuse, the family death unless i correlate it to my grandparents passing. knowing too much unless i got shunned from a place and it felt like an inquisition. true love unless i correlate it to, can't. unless i correlate the shaman bit to wisdom in general. the reference is hazy otherwise. it seemed like a curious divergence into the mind. hahah and i don't even want to understand the parts where i'm a girl, unless part of the endocrine issue ha.

ThatGirl

Sounds like fun......I was most likely Cleopatra, also burned at the steak during the witch trials. Also lived in a clay house that a canal ran through. And also a sports fan.

Where do you find stuff like this?

Oberon

I think I was Victor in a past life...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I tried this today. I knew there would probably be a thread on it, so I didn't start one!

I don't necessarily believe in reincarnation, but thought that this would be something interesting anyway. If anything, I would see something really neat or have an insight about something. (If not into myself, into something in general.) I may start a journal/ try to write a story, as this stuff would be hard to come up with in conscious awareness.

I didn't get far in any vision.

I saw a black lady, probably in her 40's with a really mangled leg and a walking stick. She seemed to be hiding from something in a dark room, reading a book. I felt a vibe of alone-ness- nobody else in her life. She had a lot of lesions and scars. At one point she became really frightened, terrified, and my mind went blank.

Then I went back and was allowed to be her for a minute, walking down some busy old fashioned street on a hot sunny day. I felt happy, but as though I needed to always check my back, like I was doing something wrong being out there. Then I was standing in a pig pen looking up at some window in the city, wanting to read a book that I was hiding in my clothing. Then after a few minutes of standing around in the pig pen, without anything happening, I chose to stop.

Then I kept going back, she was usually hiding and reading a book. Sometimes she was holding a baby, other times she wasn't. Then I saw her in the black room, and then she saw a bright glowing yellow light, (still in her 40's)- she squealed and dropped the stick and ran towards the light happily. (Looked like it was a metaphor for dying.)

Then I went back, and saw a black child, (presumably a younger version of the lady), very healthy and beautiful, both legs working. A big open infected scrape on her knee but otherwise healthy, running and dancing and laughing. She was wearing a pretty pink church dress, her hair in braids- she appeared to be at church.

Then I was unable to go back.

Cool experience!!
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post

its possibly something else but i can't determine what. though i am fascinated by mine since none have happened to me this life time. i mean the sexual abuse unless i correlate it to verbal abuse, the family death unless i correlate it to my grandparents passing. knowing too much unless i got shunned from a place and it felt like an inquisition. true love unless i correlate it to, can't. unless i correlate the shaman bit to wisdom in general. the reference is hazy otherwise. it seemed like a curious divergence into the mind. hahah and i don't even want to understand the parts where i'm a girl, unless part of the endocrine issue ha.
    This is why I was fascinated by the concept. I could "remember" something that I can't actually remember/ may never have happened. I wanted to see what my subconscious mind might conjure up for a "memory."
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

@Synapse

I am highly curious about your experience. I've studied reincarnation/past life regression and near death experiences for more than 10 years now. It's my favorite hobby I have come across a few case studies on past life regression that seem to VERY difficult to chalk up scientifically. There is always the doubt though, that the person who has done the case study is biased, and I'm afriad that alot of people who get into stuff like this tend to be biased.

Did you do alot of research on the person you went to for your past life regression?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts