User Tag List

12311 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 127

  1. #1
    Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    951

    Default Stephen Frys Beautiful words on a world without God

    I'll let the video (audio) speak for itself.


    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q715ty5hLt4"][/YOUTUBE]

    YouTube - Stephen Fry's beautiful comments on a world without God.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Stephen Fry is the epitome of Secular Humanism. And he's kind of a magician with words, there's no one who can make an aesthetic case for atheism like he can (Richard Dawkins for instance approaches atheism from a more scientific point of view.)
    (removed)

  3. #3
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    It still has no appeal to me what so ever, although I've had major doubts more recently about my once certain religious convictions there is nothing beautiful or appealing what so ever about athiesm, it is not glorious, it is inglorious, it is a celebration of hopelessness and despair that others may be shaken and share in it too.

  4. #4
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It still has no appeal to me what so ever, although I've had major doubts more recently about my once certain religious convictions there is nothing beautiful or appealing what so ever about athiesm, it is not glorious, it is inglorious, it is a celebration of hopelessness and despair that others may be shaken and share in it too.
    Apparently that's what it is for you. But do try to understand that's not what it is for many others, and that other people, like me, do not need a higher power to supply hope, or glory, or what-have-you.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  5. #5
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Smile

    I am immensely impressed by Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens. On the other hand I am given pause by the Godless regimes of the Soviet Union, the Peoples Republic of China, Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge and North Korea today.

  6. #6
    Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am immensely impressed by Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens. On the other hand I am given pause by the Godless regimes of the Soviet Union, the Peoples Republic of China, Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge and North Korea today.
    That's a very black and white way of looking at the situation. I.E. those negative regimes are godless therefore all godless people can be associated with a negative regime.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Apparently that's what it is for you. But do try to understand that's not what it is for many others, and that other people, like me, do not need a higher power to supply hope, or glory, or what-have-you.
    You may not but the clue is in the very beginning of the clip, Fry speaks for athiesm but the original speaker speaks about an anti-theist society, the point about glory is made my Fry too, he used the phraseology and I just used the same language in making my point.

    Similarly I was making a point in response to Fry's comments about Shelley's poem, the decline of religious inspiration or aesthetics, I was making a point about the supposed beauty of the remarks etc. Not a general point about your beliefs or anyone elses.

    Infact you make the converse point to the one I was making, while Fry's remarks may seem pretty to some, just before the back slapping kicked in, I wanted to point out that for some the opposite is in fact true and exactly why.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    That's a very black and white way of looking at the situation. I.E. those negative regimes are godless therefore all godless people can be associated with a negative regime.
    A little like the arguments made against religion and relgious people, dont you think?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Helios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It still has no appeal to me what so ever, although I've had major doubts more recently about my once certain religious convictions there is nothing beautiful or appealing what so ever about athiesm, it is not glorious, it is inglorious, it is a celebration of hopelessness and despair that others may be shaken and share in it too.
    Atheism is simply the position that there exist no deities, or something closely akin to this. It is not a celebration of anything.

  10. #10
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    That's a very black and white way of looking at the situation. I.E. those negative regimes are godless therefore all godless people can be associated with a negative regime.
    Not to mention all the "godly" evil regimes, like the Islamic theocracies in the Middle East. Of course, Muslims don't have a monopoly on oppression. The Inquisition, after all, was not promulgated by atheists.

Similar Threads

  1. Stephen Fry
    By Salomé in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 10:41 PM
  2. World without NT's.
    By Athenian200 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 05:19 AM
  3. A world without INTPs
    By Salomé in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 05:46 PM
  4. World without Cars!
    By Little Linguist in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 03:40 PM
  5. Most beautiful word you know
    By pocket lint in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO