User Tag List

12311 Last

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Stephen Frys Beautiful words on a world without God

I'll let the video (audio) speak for itself.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q715ty5hLt4"][/YOUTUBE]

YouTube - Stephen Fry's beautiful comments on a world without God.

MBTI
    SEXY

Stephen Fry is the epitome of Secular Humanism. And he's kind of a magician with words, there's no one who can make an aesthetic case for atheism like he can (Richard Dawkins for instance approaches atheism from a more scientific point of view.)
    (removed)

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

It still has no appeal to me what so ever, although I've had major doubts more recently about my once certain religious convictions there is nothing beautiful or appealing what so ever about athiesm, it is not glorious, it is inglorious, it is a celebration of hopelessness and despair that others may be shaken and share in it too.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It still has no appeal to me what so ever, although I've had major doubts more recently about my once certain religious convictions there is nothing beautiful or appealing what so ever about athiesm, it is not glorious, it is inglorious, it is a celebration of hopelessness and despair that others may be shaken and share in it too.
    Apparently that's what it is for you. But do try to understand that's not what it is for many others, and that other people, like me, do not need a higher power to supply hope, or glory, or what-have-you.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Smile

I am immensely impressed by Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens. On the other hand I am given pause by the Godless regimes of the Soviet Union, the Peoples Republic of China, Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge and North Korea today.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I am immensely impressed by Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens. On the other hand I am given pause by the Godless regimes of the Soviet Union, the Peoples Republic of China, Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge and North Korea today.
    That's a very black and white way of looking at the situation. I.E. those negative regimes are godless therefore all godless people can be associated with a negative regime.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Apparently that's what it is for you. But do try to understand that's not what it is for many others, and that other people, like me, do not need a higher power to supply hope, or glory, or what-have-you.
    You may not but the clue is in the very beginning of the clip, Fry speaks for athiesm but the original speaker speaks about an anti-theist society, the point about glory is made my Fry too, he used the phraseology and I just used the same language in making my point.

Similarly I was making a point in response to Fry's comments about Shelley's poem, the decline of religious inspiration or aesthetics, I was making a point about the supposed beauty of the remarks etc. Not a general point about your beliefs or anyone elses.

Infact you make the converse point to the one I was making, while Fry's remarks may seem pretty to some, just before the back slapping kicked in, I wanted to point out that for some the opposite is in fact true and exactly why.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    That's a very black and white way of looking at the situation. I.E. those negative regimes are godless therefore all godless people can be associated with a negative regime.
    A little like the arguments made against religion and relgious people, dont you think?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Atheism is simply the position that there exist no deities, or something closely akin to this. It is not a celebration of anything.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Not to mention all the "godly" evil regimes, like the Islamic theocracies in the Middle East. Of course, Muslims don't have a monopoly on oppression. The Inquisition, after all, was not promulgated by atheists.