User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Prayer

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Prayer ~= The Secret ~= Wiccan 'Magick' ~= Satanic/Nordic/whatever Rituals ~= Chaos Magic's glyphs+gnosis ~= Buddhist mantras

Ritual is a useful tool for focusing the subconscious. Ascribing it powers that go beyond psychologically feasible is unscientific, but may help to make choices which will increase the likelihood of success.
    if you're going to pray to me, please put it in the form of a phone call or wall message and I'll do my best to grant it!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    if you're going to pray to me, please put it in the form of a phone call or wall message and I'll do my best to grant it!
    How about in the form of a creepy poem placed inside something you thought you locked? :3
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

well.... maybe if it came with a gift certificate or something...

*is now paranoid*

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I like prayer. I feel better after praying (when its real as opposed to being starving and rushing through some words before eating dinner). Its kinda rare unless I am in the middle of a tragedy. Should do it more often. Think will say one right now.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

I am not a christian, however the grandparents are very religious. When the toddler goes to visit he will come home and demand we all pray at dinner time. The 14 yo and I just look at each other, somewhat uncomfortably, and sort of make stuff up about spagetti mosnters and greek gods with an amen at the end to meet the demands of the toddler.

"PWAY MOMMY PWAY!!!!!!"

For me-the closest thing I do that feels like prayer is to complete and action with the thoughts of love for another or for a greater cause in my mind. The mindset is a prayer, not the actual words.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I am not a christian, however the grandparents are very religious. When the toddler goes to visit he will come home and demand we all pray at dinner time. The 14 yo and I just look at each other, somewhat uncomfortably, and sort of make stuff up about spagetti mosnters and greek gods with an amen at the end to meet the demands of the toddler.

"PWAY MOMMY PWAY!!!!!!"

For me-the closest thing I do that feels like prayer is to complete and action with the thoughts of love for another or for a greater cause in my mind. The mindset is a prayer, not the actual words.
    Lol, my family is religious and I am kinda back and forth in if I want to or not. This past weekend they called me down stairs and we got in a huge circle(about 25 of us) held hands, so I started singing "kumbaya" and rocking side to side until I got slapped
    Im out, its been fun

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Ritual is a useful tool for focusing the subconscious.
    Sure, a trance can be induced by any repetition. And ritual is almost always a repetition of a prayer, a song, an action, a dance, a drama, even a thought.

And the covert purpose of a repetitious ritual is to induce a trance. And the purpose of a trance is to make us suggestible.

And when we are suggestible, all kinds of suggestions can be made.

A common suggestion is the dogma or teachings or beliefs. Another suggestion may be tithing. Another may be hatred of another group such as Jews or infidels or apostates or dissenters or women. Another suggestion may be that we are loved and looked after by our Father. Another suggestion may be that we look after the poor.

But once we are in a trance and suggestible, there are any number of suggestions that can be made that we will accept without question.

And this is precisely what we do in a trance - we accept suggestions without question.

I learnt about trance from Dennis Weir by clicking on -

Trance Institute Courses

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I do have trouble with praying for miracles/blessings though. I know people believe in the law of attraction and that sort of thing, but it's tough to think that it works in some situations but not in others without any real discernible reasons why, like Oberon says.
    Well again I'm going to stress that I'm not religious, but I have made some observations about my friend and others I've known who are. Assuming you believe in a god/deity then why be afraid to pray for a miracle or blessing? Part of believing in these sorts of things is having "faith" which doesn't required any logical analysis on your part. This is just my two cents of course but just because a miracle doesn't happen every time you pray wouldn't it be reasonable to believe that each time is a separate and unique prayer event in which you have a new chance of having your miracle/blessing granted? I'm not trying to mock you here, I'm really being serious.

I personally believe that religion is bullshit, but if I didn't I can't see how praying for a miracle would hurt if you believe that your god/deity listens to you and that he/she/it is benevolent. Sure it's not very logical but I really don't think much about religion is logical and so it is problematic trying to mix the two - in my opinion. I believe the common explanation for a miracle/blessing getting granted on certain occasions and not others falls in line with the common belief that the master plan is greater than each individual and thus sometimes prayers for miracles are answered and sometimes they are not... rationalizing this seems fruitless since the entire system is based on faith, which is also apparently important for those who believe in religion... thus as I see it one can pray for a miracle while accepting that if said miracle is not answered it is because it was not meant to be - and this is where faith comes in that the god/deity is benevolent and will not harm you without good cause etc.

Again I'm not religious so all of this is based on what I've heard other religious people say, but hopefully you find it useful for what it's worth to you.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEE

Prayer has always made me feel empty and seriously defective.

It's like a soft paranoia, I used to put all my heart into my requests... stuff like "protect my family" etc. The fact that others did it with such fervor and passion, it was as if.. all the good things in life came through god... and otherwise we were thrown into a world of absolute misery - it gave me a sense of responsibility, it was up to me to ensure that my loved ones were safe from their problems.

Then when it didnt work (100% of the time), my brain conjured all of these accusations: Oh it didnt occur because God wasnt listening. God doesnt care. God has other priorities. God probably doesnt think you're worth sending a clear sign to. Maybe you're not looking for his sign hard enough.

7 year-old totally terrified over hermeneutical problems... hehe.

Gradually I grew so desperate, that like all children, if asking nicely didnt work maybe crying or doing something mean would do. So I tried raising my middle finger to the sky when i was about 9 (no idea what flipping the bird meant back then). Only to feel just as stupid as when I prayed.

I suppose thats when i first felt the complete and utter indifference of the world vis-a-vis me.

Then, of course came the rational conflicts with evolution and all, but Im always half-impressed.

Even if there was a rational reason for believing in God, with all the evidence of in world, I think my experience with prayer and my heart would tell me otherwise. Regardless of the consequences like hell. Im not proud, in that regard, but I feel im not the blame for not feeling something Im supposed to.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Comes automatically for me. I pray when in times of need.